Help needed for mining on a RX550 (4GB) on Ubuntu 20.04

XRV

n00b
Hi folks,
I just subscribed and this is my first post.
There are several threads dealing with RX550 issues, i know, and i spent several hours for solving my problem. Most links to drivers are outdated...
Now, some details of the system and command outputs:

sf@test:~$ uname -a
Linux test 5.13.0-35-generic #40~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Mon Mar 7 09:18:32 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
sf@test:~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Device 9bc5 (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Lexa PRO [Radeon 540/540X/550/550X / RX 540X/550/550X] (rev c7)
sf@test:~$ clinfo
Number of platforms 1
Platform Name AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Platform Vendor Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Platform Version OpenCL 2.2 AMD-APP (3406.0)
Platform Profile FULL_PROFILE
Platform Extensions cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback
Platform Host timer resolution 1ns
Platform Extensions function suffix AMD

Platform Name AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Number of devices 0

NULL platform behavior
clGetPlatformInfo(NULL, CL_PLATFORM_NAME, ...) No platform
clGetDeviceIDs(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, ...) No platform
clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [default] No platform
clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [other] No platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_DEFAULT) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CUSTOM) No devices found in platform
clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL) No devices found in platform

###############################

So i expect my GPU is an AMD RX550. I downloaded https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu-install/21.50.2/ubuntu/focal/amdgpu-install_21.50.2.50002-1_all.deb and simply run sudo amdgpu-install. Afterwards, clinfo showed the results ssen above.

However, as you can see, there seem to be no devices discovered.

I tried various miners, like lolminer and NBMiner. They all confirmed that no hardware seems to be available for mining.

What am i doing wrong? Can someone help how to get this card working?

Regards.

Install mmpos or hiveos on a thumb drive using balena etcher and see if it works in that environment. It looks like the GPU is detected so I doubt it's any sort of hardware issue. I'm guessing it's a driver problem. I'll sometimes see a similar thing when the drivers are outdated, it'll list a range of models or a model group instead of the actual card info. Also, give teamredminer a shot too since you're on amd.

If you want to stay on ubuntu this might help:

Ok, that would be one option. But i need that PC for normal office work too, from time to time. So i would like to stay at Ubuntu for now.
Any other ideas?

Hi Kardonxt,
Yes, i understood the idea of a separate OS that can e.g. be installed on an USB stick. It is a good idea. But still not optimal.
Also, it is a hobby for me, so time is not a relevant parameter. It doesn't even need to be profitable although sometimes i have electricity for free (6 kW solar generator on the house)...

So, further ideas?

Your card doesn't have enough memory to run ETH mining. You have to mine using a different algorithm and tell nbminer or whatever you're using to mine that instead.

I'm guessing either beamhash or Autolykos

Back