Help me decide: 28" 4k 60hz IPS or 35" 110hz Ultrawide VA

harmattan

Supreme [H]ardness
The wife has been on my case to clear out one of my two monitors, and I've decided to concede (...as is tradition). These two displays are apples and oranges, each with their own pros and cons -- the reason I've held onto both and am finding it difficult deciding. Both are in excellent condition, about as good examples you can find for these models e.g. backlight uniformity, no dead pixels. I'll use this monitor both for gaming (AC: Valhalla, Control, some RTS), and for work (JAVA, Python, MongoDB, Neo4j, InVision prototyping, standard Office stuff). The two contenders:

ASUS TUF Gaming VG289Q

A solid "budget" 4k IPS 60hz display. Color accuracy is very good (although still not true 10-bit). I do appreciate the higher DPI over the ultrawide (especially with text clarity), but it's not overrulingly better. Has HDR 10 capability, but it's not that impressive as one would expect at this level of monitor.

Acer CZ350CK

A bit older than the Asus TUF, its panel was top-of-the-line when released in 2018 (it's basically the freesync/G-sync compatible version of the x35p Predator without the fancy gaming stand). Color accuracy is decent after calibration, but a step down from the IPS (expectedly as it's a VA panel). Viewing angles good for a VA, but not as good as the Asus. The extra refresh (110hz vs 60hz) is noticeable over the Asus, and the black levels slightly better (again... VA panel). There is a bit of ghosting in games, but as VAs go, it's not bad at all. The Ultrawide format is quite immersive in games, preferred to standard widescreen.

Obviously, a 4k 120hz or an IPS ultrawide would be the best option (or better, an QHD+ IPS 144hz ultrawide), but beggars can't be choosers and these are the options I have.

Which would you choose?

Last edited:
Would you be able to tell if panel is true 10-bit or 8-bit + A-FCR?
Put side by side, yes, I think so. My sample size has been small, but the two true 10-bit monitors I've used had noticeably better accuracy than the 3-4 8-bit+FCR monitors I've used. Not by much, but noticeable.

Put side by side, yes, I think so. My sample size has been small, but the two true 10-bit monitors I've used had noticeably better accuracy than the 3-4 8-bit+FCR monitors I've used. Not by much, but noticeable.
Maybe different question: how would you detect if panel is 8-bit + A-FCR and not true 10-bit if the connection to the display was 10-bit
Or even to make it easier: how would you detect if panel is 6-bit + A-FCR, so you get 6-bit panel and 10-bit connection. How to detect that?

Both bad in some ways. The first one will lag like garbage in games with an FS range of probably around 45 to 60, even outside it'll be a ton lot more sluggish compared to the 100 Hz+ VA. It's also an Innolux panel so a bit meh in that aspect.

The VA is an older AUO with known smearing issues at higher Hz. Especially considering these panels seem to be used, you may just be better off buying something else.

Both bad in some ways. The first one will lag like garbage in games with an FS range of probably around 45 to 60, even outside it'll be a ton lot more sluggish compared to the 100 Hz+ VA. It's also an Innolux panel so a bit meh in that aspect.

The VA is an older AUO with known smearing issues at higher Hz. Especially considering these panels seem to be used, you may just be better off buying something else.
Yea, understood both are imperfect solutions. If I were to sell both for ~$600, what would be the best option then in that price range, either 4k or ultrawide?

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I've been biding my time with my Acer 35" (VA, 100hz, moderate ghosting) -- a reasonable display, but long in the tooth with a few cons. I just came into some extra pocket change and am looking to upgrade, top of budget ~$850. My ideal is either 38" ultrawide IPS, or 4k 32", and with >60hz. Any suggestions of displays that have come out in the past 6 months that would fit?

Back