[help] computer problem

Rev. Night

[H]ard|Gawd
ok, my new case came in today. It is a brand new Antec P180 and my old case is a 3 yo Compusa Gamerz case (crappy i know). The computer had been working just fine, games and all, when i turned it off to switch it into the new case. i turned it off, turned off the psu, and removed all of the cables. 2+ hours later, this new case was a BITCH to work with due to the bad instructions, i finally get everything installed. no new or different components were added, just moving all the stuff from my old case to my new case.

So when i pushed the power button to turn on my computer, it does for like 1 sec then shuts off. Its like it is a failed start. I figured it was a power issue of not enough voltage to go around (since the new case has two 120mm fans and one 80mm fan in it, compared to just one 80mm fan in my last case). I take those out, still a failed start. I take out the 6800gt, and still a failed start. Finally i say the hell with it and i taked out every single thing out of the mobo so that in end, it is just the cpu/hsf, mobo, and psu. And i STILL get the failed start. I take out the cpu so its just mobo and psu, and that makes it stay on about 3 seconds longer. When i reinstalled the cpu, it is like nothing has changed.

why woudl simply moving the parts from computer A to computer B make it not work? I was very careful with them and they were never dropped, damaged, etc.. so i took the mobo out of the case and put it on a box on my bed. Only two things plug into it and they are the only connection to my case. the 4 pin power cable and the 20 pin power cable. Both cables are completly and securely in position, and none of the pins are bent. The cpu/hsf is also in just fine, and it is plugged into the board for fan power. And still, it is a failed start.

Things that were not done that will be done after work:

1. Use computer i am typing on now (at home) and swap out parts and see which are defective.

Specs:

AMD64 3500+, 130nm, hsf
ABIT av8
gf 6800GT
2x512mg Mushkin DDR400
Thermaltake Truepower 480wt psu
audigy z2

Not to insult you but you mounted the motherboard right? it's not touching the case. It could be a short, that happened to me once *cough* it was my first time!

That happened to my friend's pc and the solution was...well we just made the cables and stuff all tidy and moved them away from components and stuff and it worked. Sorry I can't be more help but his just starting working, heh.

Edit: Starting then stopping like that is usually not a sign of faulty components, more of a sort of short.

no insult taken. In the case, it was fully mounted on the risers and not touching the back of the case.

but the thing is, if it is a short, then how come it is still doing that when it is COMPLETELY OUT OF THE CASE? it is on a cardboard box now, with only the case power switch, 4 pin atx cable, and 20 pin cable into the mobo. It needs metal to short, yet all around it is cardboard.

ew, that sucks...you don't happen to have a psu tester handy do ya? heh.

I just swtiched out psus. the family computer psu still made my computer do the failed start, while my psu into the family computer started it just fine. Conclusion: my psu is fine and not part of the problem. B/c the family computer is an intel, i was unable to swap out cpus and motherboard (i am amd). Those two components are the only two left in this problem bc everything else has been unplugged and uninstalled and thus removed from the systen. My bro has amd and is coming over tomorrow to help swith and diagnose

anyone else have any more ideas?

ok. sweet. problem is solved. I am not sure which did it, or if it was the combination, but it is now up and running and playing games. The first thing i did was completly wipe clean the orignial thermal grease from my cpu and hsf with a cloth that i sprayed electronic-sensitive cleaner with. I got the cpu and the hsf spotless and shiny. I then looked in my mobo book about where the CMOS jumper was. i cleared it and set it back. After doing both of these things, the psu/mobo/cpu-hsf started up just fine. I then turned it off and added all of the other parts and so it was like my normal computer, and it still turned on just fine.

Back