HDTV for around $250

syn3rgyz

Gawd
I have a 19" CRT I plan to play FPS games on, I'm looking for a HDTV where I can play my ps3 / watch TV and movies / plug in my laptop for regular use. My budget is around $250. Anyone have any recommendations?

i dont play FPS games mostly RPG games on my ps3 plus im just gonna use it for normal laptop usages and TV so i should be fine right?

thx for the quick response i'd appreciate more input

You'd probably be fine for console gaming. I use a Samsung 215TW to hook up console systems that is fairly notorious for input lag but had no problem with PS3 (NBA Street), PS2, or Wii.

I have a 19" CRT I plan to play FPS games on, I'm looking for a HDTV where I can play my ps3 / watch TV and movies / plug in my laptop for regular use. My budget is around $250. Anyone have any recommendations?

Most hybrids (aka PC/TV displays) are average to poor.

If you can, buy an external tuner and a monitor separately.

i have an external tuner already and it makes TV look like crap. Aren't there TVs that are decent displays but still have a VGA or DVI input

i have an external tuner already and it makes TV look like crap. Aren't there TVs that are decent displays but still have a VGA or DVI input

How is it connected?

Is there an external tuner with HDMI out in the U.S.?

Those are terrible.

You'll need a quality tuner with HDMI.
Right, now show us a 16:9 non-TN HDTV that fits his criteria. Oh wait, it doesn't exist, because a Dell 2209WA doesn't preserve the aspect ratio for a PS3, and other alternatives (Dell 2408WFP and HP L2475W) start at $475. Not to mention he'll be using the monitor with a laptop so an external HDMI or USB tuner ($100) and an HDMI switch ($50) will be added to his cost. The fact is that Samsung and LG make good products and he won't be disappointed with any of the LCD's in this thread.

Last edited:
Nice way to make an assumption

I didn't say anything about the Dell 2209WA or none TN based panel.

All I said was, it's better to buy a monitor (obviously a one with aspect ratio correction and HDMI) and an HDMI tuner separately.

Personally, I've yet to see a quality on-board tuner on an hybrid.

If the OP doesn't mind the average picture via the on-board tuner, then those options are perfectly suitable.

i dont mind having crappy graphics on my laptop, but i do want at least decent graphics when i watch tv/dvd's and the right resolution for my ps3, which is why i asked for an HDTV instead of a monitor if that makes a difference at all

i dont mind having crappy graphics on my laptop, but i do want at least decent graphics when i watch tv/dvd's and the right resolution for my ps3, which is why i asked for an HDTV instead of a monitor if that makes a difference at all
Was that addressed at me? I was giving arguments against using a monitor.

Note that it's only 720p. It's better to pay a little extra for the 24" one so you can get full 1080P tv and movies.

The one I recommended is classified as a TV. So it may produce better image quality than a hybrid display (PC/TV).

This is such a gray area. I with I could be more of help

Back