HDTV as monitor

I've tried asking in AVS Forum for assistance, but I did not receive any reliable information regarding the subject of using HDTV as monitor. Instead, I am coming back here.

*Copied and paste from AVS*

Looking for a LED HDTV 46" - 52". My budget is around $800 - $1500.

I need recommendations and some questions answered:

1) I want to use it as a monitor. Back then, people told me that using TV as a monitor results in blurry text. Is this still true for current generation of TVs?

2) Priority: Gaming and graphics work. Again, back then I was told that S-IPS panels are the best in this regards. However, the draw back was slow response time. If S-IPS panel is the best for me, is LG still the only company to produce such T.V?

Additionally, I kept hearing about the weakness of LG's picture quality in HDTVs.

3) Recommend me a T.V!:D

Bad Idea... never us a TV as a monitor... put it this way. Most TV's are 1080p = 1920x1080. That's the same amount of pixels that are found on a 22". What looks clear and crisp on a 22" now stretch the same amount of pixels to a 46-52" like you desire... you don't need to be a genius to picture how ugly it'll look. ESPECIALLY if you're doing graphics work. Get a good 27inch Dell IPS monitor and that will last you a while! You won't regret it either!

Agree with the above - I can't tell you how much time I wasted looking for a TV that would perform well as a monitor (or alternatively a large monitor that would perform well as a TV).

In the end I just had to accept that they're optimised for different purposes, and the very things that make a good TV make a bad PC monitor (and vice versa). Sure, you can get TVs that will perform *passably* as monitors in some circumstances, but really you'll be much happier if you pick the right tool for the right job.

On the flipside, I guess a 30" PC monitor can also be used as a reasonable (if small) TV, but it's a sobering thought that you could probably pick up a decent 24" IPS monitor *and* a >40" HDTV for the same outlay or less.

I recently got LG 27" Monitor/TV for around $350.00 #M2762D. It servers as my Server Watcher off on my 2nd PC input DVI, HDM1 is my PS3, and it has a built in HD TV Tuner. I can easily switch between these 3 all from the remote.

LG-27.jpg

So if one was to get a 26"-27" LED HDTV and use it as a monitor, it should be okay? I have a HP 24" 1920x1200 but the backlight bleed is killing the experience for me.... I'd rather deal with jaggies than backlight bleed in games.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Agree with the above - I can't tell you how much time I wasted looking for a TV that would perform well as a monitor (or alternatively a large monitor that would perform well as a TV).

In the end I just had to accept that they're optimised for different purposes, and the very things that make a good TV make a bad PC monitor (and vice versa). Sure, you can get TVs that will perform *passably* as monitors in some circumstances, but really you'll be much happier if you pick the right tool for the right job.

On the flipside, I guess a 30" PC monitor can also be used as a reasonable (if small) TV, but it's a sobering thought that you could probably pick up a decent 24" IPS monitor *and* a >40" HDTV for the same outlay or less.

24inch monitors work fine for tv. what you on about?

I recommend Monitor with HDTV Tuner vs HDTV trying to be a PC game monitor.

I've got the best of both Worlds.....
I'm streaming wireless my Direct TV Channels from my Hava Box using PC input.
Netflix from either my PC input or running from PS3.
Then using Indoor HDTV Antenna for local HD channels.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003CI7RMQ

LG-Monitor-TV.jpg

x2 that amazon TV..... nice deal, good specs, and he already says its good along with an obviously nice pic of it as a monitor :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003CI7RMQ

Get it! And post up some pics when you get yours setup :cool::cool::cool:

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
mmm, the M2762D is a nice unit. Works fine as a monitor (as you would expect given it's sold as one) at least on DVI (never actually tried mine on VGA). fine as a TV and has plenty of inputs for hooking up all those games consoles (both SD and HD ones).

Back