HDMI 2.1 TV sets?

Domingo

Fully [H]
With the new consoles coming rather soon and video cards (like Nvidia's Ampere) potentially supporting it - anyone have a good resource for HDMI 2.1 TV's? Google tends to pull up old articles and most ratings sites barely mention anything about it. Even the manufacturer websites are overly secretive about missing features or neglect to mention that only 1 port (out of 3-4) meets the new standard. Ditto with the updated ARC spec.
AVR companies are loud and proud with their HDMI 2.1 support, but TV manufacturers...not so much.
Is there a good consumer resource page with this info anywhere?

Rtings.com is a good place for TV reviews.

Yeah, I've looked around there. That was the resource I used to get my current set. They're kinda sparse with info, too. Some reviews mention HDMI 2.1, others don't. They rarely delve very far into it. Even on sets that partially/fully support it. The joys of actual HDMI 2.1 devices being pretty limited I guess.
I've seen a few press releases for new AVRs, so I figured I'd look around and see what was out there. I can only assume they'll start pushing it harder after the new consoles are actually out...probably CES in January.

Gun to my head, I'd probably get another Samsung (the Q90T) if I had to buy something today...which I luckily don't. My current set has made for a terrific monitor and gaming TV, which is what I'd want. Gaming/Monitor functionality outweigh everything else and it's not even close. Still, it only has a single HDMI 2.1 input, which could be a hassle depending on what kind of AVR I end up with. Samsung also doesn't support Dolby Vision, which does interest me. LG's stuff seems to check the right boxes, but I'm paranoid about burn-in. The windows task bar is going to be visible on my TV for like 3/4 of the day.

I figure I probably won't end up buying anything until at least Christmas, but I'm starting to look around a little.

With the new consoles coming rather soon and video cards (like Nvidia's Ampere) potentially supporting it - anyone have a good resource for HDMI 2.1 TV's? Google tends to pull up old articles and most ratings sites barely mention anything about it. Even the manufacturer websites are overly secretive about missing features or neglect to mention that only 1 port (out of 3-4) meets the new standard. Ditto with the updated ARC spec.
AVR companies are loud and proud with their HDMI 2.1 support, but TV manufacturers...not so much.
Is there a good consumer resource page with this info anywhere?

I second RTINGS Domingo. Particularly their Table Tool at https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/table

I've made a custom table for you with HDMI 2.1 as a column sorted by televisions that have it vs not which you can find at https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/table/36432

(keep in mind this table only shows televisions that they've reviewed)

Just get a LG OLED!

The windows taskbar is on my screen for 8 hours a day. The same Chrome tabs are, too. They mention burn-in isn't a concern for things like game elements, but they specifically call out things like TV tickers.

The windows taskbar is on my screen for 8 hours a day. The same Chrome tabs are, too. They mention burn-in isn't a concern for things like game elements, but they specifically call out things like TV tickers.

Put taskbar on auto-hide. Problem solved.

I have been using my C7 for three years now with no burn-in from tabs. Unless all you do is run Chrome (in the same location, at the same window size,) you will be fine.

I probably use it for 6 hours a day, about half browsing/editing, and about half gaming or watching videos. I use blank black screen as screensaver,. and run dark themes for everything. As long as you change locations for stuff multiple times a day, the only problem is that taskbar (which is why you hide it).

Last edited:
Back