have you gotten your new NVidia/AMD upgrade card yet? Why not?

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I keep reading about people who (1) spent gobs of money (2) got their card in person at Microcenter (3) finally got their card off the EVGA list (4) etc. But I'm wondering? Have YOU gotten your upgrade card yet? I'll bet there are a shit-ton of folks who want to upgrade but haven't. Are you one of those people? I am, because I really resent being ripped off (and I couldn't explain it to my wife why I "had" to spend so much money on a new video card when the one in my desktop rig still works.)

I managed to get a 3090 FE. I bought it from Best Buy at MSRP so I didn't have to pay a scalper but it was still a lot of money. Two weeks before that I ordered a 3080 FE in a drop but it didn't make it to my store. On the next drop I was getting something at all costs. Turned out to be the 3090 FE.

I have not gotten anything despite my best efforts. I refuse to spend money on huge markups and scalper prices. With how my luck has been going this year, I doubt I will get anything outside of a GT 1030 for the next few years.

Yes to both, all at MSRP. 3090, 6900XT, 3080Ti. Now that is Manufacturer or AIB MSRP and not AMD or Nvidia except for the 3080Ti which was at the same price as Nvidia 3080 Ti FE

I am not sure if I want one or I should wait for Intel.

I don't even care if the performance is bad, I want to be a part of GPU history, and have an AMD CPU with an Intel GPU.

Yes, finally got a newegg shuffle for a 3080ti. The only thing that sucks is that none of them are the NVIDIA launch MSRP anymore. They are all closer to $2k now.

None for me. Not even above paying a scalper but motivation is not there yet with PS5 backlog. Not many PC games that really excite me to be worth upgrading ie cyberflop.

Nope, but I also haven't tried that hard. Wanted a 3060Ti but gave up on that real quick, then I wanted a 6700XT but gave up on that before they were even released. I could have gotten something if I really wanted to put in the work (or pay a scalper) but I didn't. So instead I ended up ditching the desktop and getting the laptop in sig... which was a GPU upgrade for me but not a huge one, not the one I had hoped for, not a discrete card, and not current-gen.

Last edited:
Nope, been in most shuffles and only won one for a 6700xt that I made the mistake of checking because it was the AIB markup pricing and not worth it. Still waiting on my evga hybrid 3080.

A little bit of all of the above gets you a card eventually on a long enough timeline. Without buying from third party scalpers I've managed to buy a 3080, 3090, 3070, and a 3080Ti. It's already late at this point, but tips for next gen release. Assuming the queue system like on EVGA exists you have to put in for that as soon as you can. Even if you don't want to wait the 3/6/ or 9 months it may take for it to go through and intend to keep looking for it elsewhere in between.

1. Got a 3080 by massive luck by stopping in at Microcenter at a random time in early November. I think it may have been on hold for someone else who never came in for the pickup.

2. EVGA queue for 3090 came in mid/late December.

3. 3070 at Microcenter. Lined up at Microcenter before opening in late January or early February. I only got there maybe a half hour before with over 20 people already in line. They did have 3080s that were sold out quick.

4. Won the Newegg shuffle to buy a 3080Ti. After entering for about a month my number finally came up about a week ago. Was lucky and the card was an EVGA which are about the only ones not bundled in with additional things and sold at normal prices.

I've got the 3090 in my main rig. The 3070 in my secondary/family computer. 3080 went to my friend living across the country. He was also the one who wanted me to keep my eyes open for a 3080Ti but he actually ended up deciding against it in the end. Not sure if we're keeping it or the old 3070, I have a few other friends who've been looking forward to upgrades but can't be bothered trying to track one down.

Nope. I gave up months ago. I would have gotten a PS5 but can't find that either. Perhaps I'll be able to pick up a PS5 for Christmas but I'm just not interested in the video card anymore.

I paid scalper prices for an RX 6800 XT. I did try to get one at MSRP but they were sold out instantly every time I had a chance. Maybe I could have waited longer, but I'm happy I got it.

Nope. I gave up months ago. I would have gotten a PS5 but can't find that either. Perhaps I'll be able to pick up a PS5 for Christmas but I'm just not interested in the video card anymore.
If you're persistent with Newegg shuffle, and entering it as often as possible for the stuff you want, you should get one eventually. I've been averaging one, maybe two draws a month. I don't enter for bundles either.

I was active on the Stock Drops Discord for 4-5 months, at first I would get the cards in my cart and then just not check out in time (a lot of the stores would make me re-login and then do weird things that would slow me down and the bots would end up buying the card out from under me.

After a month or two of that, I couldn't even get them in my cart anymore.

Was very lucky to find not just a 3090 but one with a good waterblock on our very own for-sale forum - and for a very good price.

With a water cooled 11900K/3090/32GB 4000 RAM I can run everything at 3840x1600 @160Hz and the fps is rock solid. Very happy, but I feel for the people who are still searching.

I literally gave up. I've been on the EVGA list since 9/22 and I tried for a month or so with stock checkers and whatnot. If one came available now, I doubt I'd even buy one.

I wanted one for my 3d rendering work but gave up on that hobby altogether till I can buy one in store. I just play my ps4 games instead of being pissed off

I managed to scoop an EVGA 3090 XC3 off BestBuy.com on 6900XT launch day last December after striking out on amd.com. I spent more than I had intended to and I don't think I'd do it now, but I think it was worth the extra cost to have a shiny new toy last winter when everything was closed around, plus I got it at 2020 MSRP. I started out trying to get a 3080, then a 3080 or a 6800XT, then a 3080, 6800Xt or 6900XT. I bought the 3090 because I could actually get it into my cart and check out.

At this point I’m out until nextgen. 1080Ti will have to keep plugging for another year. If I’m going to get bent over on prices I want double the 4K performance of a 6800Xt/3080 which is what rdna3 and the 4000 series are rumouring out at…

Yes, I did. And I got upgrades for my wife, my brothers, and my father.

Yep. Have had my RTX 3060 Ti for over half a year (when it cost half the current 999 € in the same shop).

At this point I’m out until nextgen. 1080Ti will have to keep plugging for another year. If I’m going to get bent over on prices I want double the 4K performance of a 6800Xt/3080 which is what rdna3 and the 4000 series are rumouring out at…

Yeah I'm not sure how much time we will have between being able to buy in store till a announcement of the 4000 series. 3 or 4 months I would guess 🤔

Got an email from the EVGA queue back in May, but I declined to make the purchase. Then I got another email in June, at which point I looked at what I could get for my 1060 and decided I might as well take advantage of the offer even though I don't game anymore. So yes, I finally got a 3070 for my x570 system.

Evga queues were/are pretty much the best bet for a normal person to get a card these days. The whole family needed upgrades in the house, other than my PC everyone else was running old stuff. 980ti 1070 rx480. through evga scored a 3080ti, 3080, 3070ti. So got everyone some upgrades including myself getting the 3080ti which means my youngest can now play roblox on my old 2080super lolol. It was an expensive month since I hit all those queues pretty much back to back, but should be good with upgrades for many years now.

I refuse to be raped for a video card, when they go back to MSRP and are easy to find then I will likely upgrade. Until then my 1080 is doing the job just fine.

I got the ASUS 3080 TUF off Newegg Shuffle last month. I really only wanted a 3070, so it was substantially more than I needed or wanted to pay for, and it was bundled with a monitor I don't need. On top of that I had planned to sell my old gaming rig and the monitor to a buddy of mine who *immediately* ran into financial troubles and can't buy it. Awesome.

The 3080 is awesome tho and it appears I got one of the better ones.

I refuse to be raped for a video card, when they go back to MSRP and are easy to find then I will likely upgrade. Until then my 1080 is doing the job just fine.

Yep. For now my old cards just got thorough cleanings, TG-PP10 on the VRAM, and fresh liquid metal on the GPU dies. Now they're better than brand new.

I was very fortunate that a coworker was able to get an EVGA 3080 in December and sold it to me for cost. I had sold my 2080 Super the week before for what I'd paid (minus eBay fees and tax), so the timing worked out incredibly well. Looking back, I can't believe I was hesitant to buy the 3080 XC3 Ultra because I thought I might be able to scoop a FE for cheaper :ROFLMAO:

I was sort of just figuring out what would fit in my case and not be too tall or too long with where my reservoir is mounted. Love this O11 case (big fan of dual chamber cases in general), but I would have designed it to be a bit wider - has limited options this generation as cards seem to be a lot longer and taller than in past gens.

Anyway, I got an alert for a Zotac 3070, and while not my first choice, as a smaller card, it fit perfectly, and water blocks exist for it, so I went for it. Their website sucked ass, and I got errors along the way trying to checkout, but long refreshes later, still had the card and made it out. I did technically get it for MSRP, but it was the MSRP after the January tariff price hikes, so was a $550 card, but ended up being $650 for me. Still that was within my original budget of around $700 (I wanted a 3080 FE, but man was that unobtainium every time I tried).

I wanted a 3080, but I play 1440p so I will not complain about the 3070. That said, ironically I've yet to use it. Been buying up parts for a new build and then in March started having a payroll dispute with my company (ongoing to today) and them messing up my paychecks since then royally. So that kinda messed with the fun money I was buying parts with, so the build has been on hold since then. So I've yet to actually use the new card. Can't easy just swap into current PC either as that involves draining it and such since its all watercooled. Definitely a downside to watercooling, can't so much swap parts easily, and the new rig is going to go into the same case, so when that day comes, will be a total tear down.

Last edited:
Got stupid lucky.

Scored an EVGA 3070 from Best Buy in April. Registered it and that got me "Elite" status. Spun their silly wheel and got the golden ticket 40% off coupon. Fought the EVGA website and got in early enough to get pulled for the 3080Ti FTW queue last month. Used the coupon and got the card for $900 shipped. Sold the 3070 for cost to a gamer.

Got stupid lucky.

Scored an EVGA 3070 from Best Buy in April. Registered it and that got me "Elite" status. Spun their silly wheel and got the golden ticket 40% off coupon. Fought the EVGA website and got in early enough to get pulled for the 3080Ti FTW queue last month. Used the coupon and got the card for $900 shipped. Sold the 3070 for cost to a gamer.
Wow. Nice going.

It hasn't been worth the hassle to get a reasonably priced card or the money to get an easy to obtain card so I've just been waiting for things to be less crazy. If it takes too much longer I'll probably hold out for the next gen.

I am regretting not spending an extra hundred this fall to get the better card I saw pop up but I was expecting to move it to my secondary pc way before now.

I preordered a rtx 3090 asus ek edition from shopblt last year, moving ETA is now end of august, might just cancel and wait it out for the 4000 series announcements. I did upgrade my laptop though and splurged for the rtx 3080 16gb edition OLED (razer 15 advanced), and have been very happy with it upgrading from a surface book 2. Can finally edit 4k60 drone footage in realtime and 8k raw (with project resolution dropped during editing and increased back up at the end) in resolve. Those saying 16gb is useless on a 3080 have never tried working with 8k EOS R5 footage in resolve. There are definitely more powerful gaming laptops but razer still wins for form factor/hdmi 2.1 and TB3 support IMHO.

XFX 6800XT MERC319 on release day on Amazon, 3070 FE a few months later on BB for a build for a friend, and a PS5 and Series X in June.

I was going to pull the trigger on a 3070 at release, back when prices were far more on the sensible end. Didn't have enough cash at the time so I couldn't. I did order Giga's top model Aorus 6700 XT couple weeks earlier from Amazon global Germany because the price was somewhat OK compared to other scalpers, they cancelled the order though - and I couldn't see an another card in stock. Was probably OOS. My mom is going to get a fat amount of money from an old land deal, but I'm not intending to give it to scalpers. Probably going to get a nice synthesizer.

Back