Have new mini-itx case, should I go with mini-itx mobo for new build or just get different/bigger case & mobo?

alpharalpha

Weaksauce
Space isn't an issue; I have a spare Mini-itx case from a htpc build still new in box; is good case, can support large GPU, lots of cooling etc. I know prices are higher for the mini-itx. Would it be worth it to go with a mini-itx mobo or better to just get larger case and get micro or larger board (figuring $75 for case) Won't need extra slots, is going to child's new gaming pc, so just the GPU Slot.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
From the pictures, that case doesn't look too small, so you can probably use a regular power supply, CPU cooler and GPU; the only special piece you would need is the itx motherboard. Those can be a little bit more expensive, but usually not enough to cover a case, and sometimes similar featured boards cost about the same.

It would be different if this was a smaller itx case where everything is size constrained and there's a small size premium everywhere.

From the pictures, that case doesn't look too small, so you can probably use a regular power supply, CPU cooler and GPU; the only special piece you would need is the itx motherboard. Those can be a little bit more expensive, but usually not enough to cover a case, and sometimes similar featured boards cost about the same.

It would be different if this was a smaller itx case where everything is size constrained and there's a small size premium everywhere.
Yes, it takes a regular power supply; I already did a build using this case for my htpc and for an itx it's pretty roomy. I used an Asus Rog Strix itx board for the internal spdif compatibility with my home theatre. Is the only build I've done in a long time so didn't know if there were any performance improvements using a larger board (GPU takes 2 slots so i just attached the spdif out to one of the back 80mm fan grills.)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I wouldn't expect any performance differences between an itx board and a larger board, as long as the cooling and power delivery is there. With a roomy itx case, you're really just missing out on expansion slots, which isn't a big deal for most people anymore.

I don't really consider that case able to accommodate a "large GPU." You have to actually look at the max GPU dimensions, but a lot of things won't fit (looks like 255mm...most modern mid range GPUs are in the 280-320mm range). Pretty much anything with 3 fans is out.

Unless you are running a setup that requires multiple PCIe devices or more than 2 m.2 drives, ITX is fine.

I don't really consider that case able to accommodate a "large GPU." You have to actually look at the max GPU dimensions, but a lot of things won't fit (looks like 255mm...most modern mid range GPUs are in the 280-320mm range). Pretty much anything with 3 fans is out.

Unless you are running a setup that requires multiple PCIe devices or more than 2 m.2 drives, ITX is fine.
Yeah I had to pass up an EVGA 3060ti when I came up on the waitlist--didn't know it was a 3 fan--technically it would've fit, but I know what you mean. Child doesn't play intensive games, really it's the i5-2320 that's the bottleneck on the old dell xps. Lol, couldn't put a Turing GPU in it due to uefi, or lack thereof so had to go with Pascal, this right before the shortage, the 2 fan MSI Gaming X 1050ti is sufficient, mainly need newer processor for those physics based games that rely on single cpu speed; is more of a tinkerer than fast gameplayer. Thought that xps was future proof, if was 2012 instead of 11 would've had uefi boot and there would've been a 1650 super for same price. I do think I might got one of the last Newegg 1050ti for $130 (with $20 rebate that I actually received.)

Last edited:
Back