Have gigabit internet but windows 10 is slowing it down?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
I have gigabit internet from my ISP. The tech that came here can get 970+ mbps all day all the time. As soon as I hook up my windows 10 pro system, it goes up to that speed but then trickles down to 600 to 700. For some reason my system can't sustain gigabit 940+ speeds. What in windows 10 would be doing this?

This is a fresh install with nothing but the latest drivers. I tried disabling windows network auto tuning but that caused my speeds to drop to sub 100mbps. Is there any tweaking I can do for my network stack?

Is windows 10 not optimized for gig connections? At a loss here. The speedtests were done to an internal server within my isps network that is fully capable of handling gig speeds. The tech was plugged into the same router my desktop was. He was getting the speeds and I wasn't. Very odd.

I know this sounds crazy but check your cables a crappy crimp job will cause this.

I just ordered two cat 8 cables. I was just getting 105 MB/s from steam. I just can't get to 117 MB/s which is what my line is rated at 940mb/s

I really feel this is a windows 10 problem. I'll see what the new cables do. Just seems like I can get up to the speed but it can't sustain it steady.

First wold problems I know. Just being anal about this.

Last edited:
105MB/s is pretty much on the money for gigabit throughput with overhead. You will never see 117, there is other stuff chewing up part of the pipe.

If steam is holding at 105, your stuff is working perfectly.

I just ordered two cat 8 cables. I was just getting 105 MB/s from steam. I just can't get to 117 MB/s which is what my line is rated at 940mb/s

I really feel this is a windows 10 problem. I'll see what the new cables do. Just seems like I can get up to the speed but it can't sustain it steady.

First wold problems I know. Just being anal about this.

There will be often a not perfect all around trafic / connection, but also imagine that on a network specially the Internet all the needed stack will add some traffic (TCP and other stack) that will use your internet bandwidth but is not useful data to you, making it hard to have near ideal scenario announced speed in useful to you data (that will show has a game getting in speed), let alone missed packed if there is some.

https://packetpushers.net/tcp-over-ip-bandwidth-overhead/

Getting so close to your theoric speed is excellent.

Yeah, 105MB/sec from the Internet is pretty astounding considering NAS units couldn't do that when they were first introduced. :eek:

I know about overhead but that typically comes in the form of acks back on the upload right? So my upload would take a hit while 105MB/s is coming down, but I should get my line rated speed on the download of 940mbps/117MB/s.

I got this speed all day with FIOS. Just windows 10 can't get past the 105 to 117. That is 12 MB/s of traffic. No way in hell is any overhead chewing that up on the download. To me, my understanding. I'm probably wrong, looking up tcp overhead calculators is proving me wrong.

Last edited:
I know about overhead but that typically comes in the form of acks back on the upload right? So my upload would take a hit while 105MB/s is coming down, but I should get my line rated speed on the download of 940mbps/117MB/s.

I got this speed all day with FIOS. Just windows 10 can't get past the 105 to 117. That is 12 MB/s of traffic. No way in hell is any overhead chewing that up on the download. To me, my understanding. I'm probably wrong, looking up tcp overhead calculators is proving me wrong.

No, that would only be true if you weren't talking about full duplex. You can go full pipe up, and full pipe down.

https://packetpushers.net/tcp-over-ip-bandwidth-overhead/

You are welcome to do the math on your own, but since you said your 940MBps is your rate and you are likely downloading over SSL, it sounds like you are about where you should expect to be. I have fiber gigabit as well, and usually only hit 105-107 MB/s off steam.

I got this speed all day with FIOS. Just windows 10 can't get past the 105 to 117. That is 12 MB/s of traffic. No way in hell is any overhead chewing that up on the download. To me, my understanding.
Cool thanks buddy.

Back