Have a Vita...want an iPad.

BiH115

Gif Guy
Or do I...?

Hey all, I rarely post, but it's usually because I require the wisdom :)D) of the users on here. Quick back story here:

Bought a 3G Vita, day one (bundle with 8Gb Memory Card). Bought the starter kit (comes with screen protector, carrying case, screen cleaner cloth, box for game card storage). Also bought Rayman: Origin (CRAZY FUN!).

First few days I played non-stop, got really far in the game. Then work got in the way, busy nights staying up doing web-site work, budgets, etc. (NOT CRAZY FUN!, who knew?).

Started getting more free time to play, then the same work scenario hit. Let me reiterate, I love using this thing. It's great. So great I bought Hot-Shots (had a wal-mart gift card), but never got a chance to open it, that was a week and a half ago. Let me also make it clear that I WANTED to, not to give it a clear distinction (would make decision TOO easy, who wants that? :D).

So, what I do with everything that I notice after a few weeks of not using it, I throw it up on Craigs. About 2 weeks later, I'm getting a bite to trade for an iPad 2 in MINT-MINT condition with screen protector, 64GB Wi-Fi version. I'm an impulse buyer, have to admit this, it's tough to admit, but I am. I bought a 16GB iPad 2 a few months back and sold it since I wasn't using it too much (WHY WORK? WHY?).

Here's where you fine people come in: Make the decision for me. Why can't I decide? It's simple, I don't want to let go of the Vita (despite not using it), but while I'm at work I notice I keep thinking about it, and can't get over how great of a gadget it is, its sleek design and overall looks, the gaming experience(s), etc. When I think of the iPad (my sister has one), I so badly want one. I want to hold it, touch things, download 100's of apps. Sit there and do nothing with it basically. I want that. This is tough.

Option #3: Trade in iPad 2 and get a new HD one, that's been on my so-called 'list' as well of possibilities. Pros/Cons to this? Worth it over a whopping 64GB iPad 2 (will put videos and music out the wha-zoo on it). Heard heat's an issue, or not? Need clear info.

Any ideas are welcome, looks like I need a shepherd to my sheep, and it's bugging the hell out of me to be frank. Someone out there surely has to sympathize with my pathetic/undecisive mind.

Thanks! :)

Vita = Serious gaming. New iPad = not for serious gaming but for casual gaming and tons of other uses.

So decide which category you fit into and go with it.

New iPad hands down. Better screen (MUCH better) , faster CPU/GPU , 4G (if you care about that) and stil retains the same battery life.

Its a no-brainer dude.

Does it not use the same GPU as the vita, where the vita needs to push less pixels thereby allowing for better looking games?

I own both the Vita and the new iPad and they both have their uses. New iPad for casual games, and vita for serious mobile gaming.

It does use the same GPU but they both can drive games quite well. The new iPad screen will end up being a performance concern for any serious gaming but it'll all depend on developers optimizing code for that.

The Vita is a proper , dedicated gaming machine. The iPad is a multi-use portable tablet , they are quite different but they are both very powerful. It comes down to what kind of gamer you are really.

For sure the resolution is a concern. Though I'm actually looking forward to Infinity Blade: Dungeons. Looks like it could be pretty fun.

It comes down to what kind of gamer you are really.

This. /thread

Ipad games are mostly tacky, aimed at the general public, lack any kind of depth, and playing games on them just feels odd, I mean me personally, I need actual buttons.

Vita games will have more depth obviously, aimed at the hardcore gamer who takes games more seriously.

This. /thread

Ipad games are mostly tacky, aimed at the general public, lack any kind of depth, and playing games on them just feels odd, I mean me personally, I need actual buttons.

Vita games will have more depth obviously, aimed at the hardcore gamer who takes games more seriously.

There are what, like 35 vita games out compared to a billion iOS ones. Pretty sure you can find that many "serious" iPad games.

Also, with iCloud now I found even less reason to get more than the base model as everything is stored online for you to re-download when needed.

Pretty sure you can find that many "serious" iPad games.

I believe we refer to serious gaming as having actual buttons.
Mashing your finger in front of what you are looking at is just distracting and not as fun.

I think the new ipad is deserve ! no matter the ios5.1,icould ,4G or its screen,they are wonderful for us to use!

I believe we refer to serious gaming as having actual buttons.
Mashing your finger in front of what you are looking at is just distracting and not as fun.

This is what restricts the iPad from becoming a true gaming platform and not a casual venture. No actual physical buttons/analog/digital sticks.

This is what restricts the iPad from becoming a true gaming platform and not a casual venture. No actual physical buttons/analog/digital sticks.

Are those really needed for all games though? RPGs for example...

"gaming" on a touchscreen...:D

Having your hands infront of your face the whole time is stupid. You cant aim at anything because theres a huge 5 limbed monster in your way.

Maybe, possibly if a tablet had a screen on the back, like the vita it would be ok...(would have to be pretty small though. It's really a junky platform, full of piles of facebook quality/below games. You can watch videos/check internet/whatever on the vita too. It's not like either of them have any serious applications.

Yeah but the Vita sucks balls for anything internet browser related.

iPad for internet browsing and casual gaming. Vita should stick with just games/netflix/youtube (when it comes).

Yeah but the Vita sucks balls for anything internet browser related.

iPad for internet browsing and casual gaming. Vita should stick with just games/netflix/youtube (when it comes).

Apple seriously needs to release a controller or at least a controller API.

On the other hand, one more performance quirk: the Vita uses something like a 64bit memory interface + custom bus to 128MB of video memory, while the iPad (2012) uses a 128bit one :eek: Part of why the performance delta between ipad 2/a5 optimized games at 1024x768 vs 2048x1536 isn't as big as initially speculated (anandtech has a decent review).

On the other hand, one more performance quirk: the Vita uses something like a 64bit memory interface + custom bus to 128MB of video memory, while the iPad (2012) uses a 128bit one :eek: Part of why the performance delta between ipad 2/a5 optimized games at 1024x768 vs 2048x1536 isn't as big as initially speculated (anandtech has a decent review).

Well there is a rumor going around that the iPad 3 will have a Wii pad style wireless controller. I sure hope this is truly.

I think developers will have an uphill battle getting really high quality titles running smoothly at full resolution for at least the next 6 months.

It's not Apple, but it'll do the trick (once it's released)

http://steelseries.com/us/products/other/steelseries-ion-wireless-controller

iPad would work great for strategy games. That's about the only "serious" type of game I'd bother with on the iPad.

Racing is okay, also.

I have an iPad 3 64 Gig and a 3G PS Vita.

Between the two, get the iPad. The games on the touchscreen aren't as good as the Vita, but when I do have those extra minutes around to game, I skip my Vita and go straight for the iPad specifically because it is such a user friendly experience and the game choices on the App store are phenomenal.

If I was you though, and you love your Vita so much - keep the Vita and find yourself a nice used iPad 2 or a refurb from the Apple store. Hell, I have a used ipad 2 32 gig we are going to sell in the 300-325 range. When you want to do hardcore gaming, the Vita rules and the iPad's lack of thumbsticks can be frustrating. The right games on the iPad are fantastic, though.

You could always get a new ipod....and pretent the screen is as big as an ipad?

if i had the money , i would get both. There is many pros for each , but the cons are really what is holding me back.

here are the cons
new ipad:
-price is quite high
-gaming on touchscreen isnt always well done
-i have most IOS games i want on my 4s

vita:
- games price are high.
- not that many upcoming games im looking for.
- console design isnt pocketable ( i know the ipad isnt too) and fear of a vita slim in the future.

I skip my Vita and go straight for the iPad specifically because it is such a user friendly experience and the game choices on the App store are phenomenal.

But if you don't like chop the vegetable and dragging the bird or whatever, it's going to be a horrible and expensive experiance. I have never seen a decent phone game, and probably never will. They are all just repetitive or hacked together remakes of something that was better where it started.

But if you don't like chop the vegetable and dragging the bird or whatever, it's going to be a horrible and expensive experiance. I have never seen a decent phone game, and probably never will. They are all just repetitive or hacked together remakes of something that was better where it started.

The truth has never been said so eloquently.

It seems that this newer generation of gamers forget that modern video gaming has existed for over 20 years. Yes it has been done before, and most likely, done better.

Immersive experiences:

ARCADE>HOME CONSOLE>PHONE/TABLET
1. Arcades are built around the game, exclusively in most cases for said game.
2. Home consoles are built with a big focus on gaming, but can also do other things.
3. Pad/phones are built for internet surfing, phone calls and portability. Gaming is something it can do.

Pad/TABLET gaming will NEVER be serious.
I would never pick playing the same game on a tablet over playing it on a 40 inch HD display, with 7.1 surround sound with a proper controller for said game. Would anyone? Not if you are looking for a serious gaming experience. Its the damn definition of the word, "Serious". I'm not playing this casually for 5 minutes, no, I'm immersing myself in the gameplay SERIOUSLY for an hour or more.

I don't care how many attachments they create, its not. It wont ever be. Sorry. The alternative is just..... magnitudes, better.

OP:
Buy the iPad.
(lol)

Machinarium, Scribblenauts, Final Fantasy 3, World of Goo, Edge, Chaos Rings, Crimson: Steam Pirates, Civilization Revolution, Osmos, Worms 2: Armageddon, Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery, Monkey Island.

I could keep going. Gaming on a phone does suck. Gaming on a tablet, when the game is made right, doesn't. Some are remakes, some are original. Same story with every console right now.

That said, the form factor does currently limit the OP to only certain "serious"/"real" games on the iPad, mainly either turn based or adventure games. While the Vita can do those, as well as racing, shooting, platformer, sports and the whole nine yards of "serious"/"real" games.

OP, get both. Keep them for a month, whichever you find yourself turning to most, keep that one.

With that attitude, you won't ever see anything good.
Tbh, I dislike the angry birds types of games as well, but not all iOS games are like that.

Check out the Chaos Rings series, Galaxy on Fire series, Sword and Sworcery, Real Racing 2, Dead Space, and Battleheart to start.

The truth has never been said so eloquently.

It seems that this newer generation of gamers forget that modern video gaming has existed for over 20 years. Yes it has been done before, and most likely, done better.

Immersive experiences:

ARCADE>HOME CONSOLE>PHONE/TABLET
1. Arcades are built around the game, exclusively in most cases for said game.
2. Home consoles are built with a big focus on gaming, but can also do other things.
3. Pad/phones are built for internet surfing, phone calls and portability. Gaming is something it can do.

I would never pick playing the same game on a tablet over playing it on a 40 inch HD display, with 7.1 surround sound with a proper controller for said game. Would anyone? Not if you are looking for a serious gaming experience. Its the damn definition of the word, "Serious". I'm not playing this casually for 5 minutes, no, I'm immersing myself in the gameplay SERIOUSLY for an hour or more.

I don't care how many attachments they create, its not. It wont ever be. Sorry. The alternative is just..... magnitudes, better.

OP:
Buy the iPad.
(lol)

So the vita is in what category? :p

Any reason why you can't have both? I have a Vita and an Ipad and you can't really compare them since they are totally different devices.

If that is your response to gaming on the iPad, I think this conversation is over. There are many great games for tablets, you just have to see beyond the end of your nose to find them. If they are better than the Vita games is up to the person playing the game.

So the vita is in what category? :p

Home Console.
The whole point is the focus on gaming. Tablets and phones do not have gaming as the number 1 primary focus of the device. It all simply comes down to that.

Home Console.
The whole point is the focus on gaming. Tablets and phones do not have gaming as the number 1 primary focus of the device. It all simply comes down to that.

Oh, you have made me realized that I've never been a serious gamer cause my pc isn't sold as a game machine :p

J/k, it appears that we just fundamentally disagree. I've never enjoyed mobile game devices, but I do play a lot of stuff on the iPad(not phone) and think its worth it.

Last edited:
There is just one thing... iPad was never designed for "serious" gamers. Games there are to keep you busy while you commute, fly on holidays, or give it to your kids, while driving a car. And games on it fulfill these tasks perfectly.

There are also things like Backstab, Real Racing 2HD, GTA 3 (yes, the GTA 3 as was on PC)... speaking not of direct poert of Baldurs Gate, or Monkey Island series. But yes, those thigns were never true games ;P

BTW, when I hear "serious" and "games" that just makes me laugh. It's an activity to have fun. Not be serious

If that is your response to gaming on the iPad, I think this conversation is over. There are many great games for tablets, you just have to see beyond the end of your nose to find them. If they are better than the Vita games is up to the person playing the game.

Not just that overpriced one, any tablet. If there are so many, links to some videos of this fabulousness? All i've ever seen people play are repetitive lite versions of "proper" games that they get bored with in 5 minutes and play another $0.99 2 minute game. Do you really think years from now anyone will fondly remember games like these?

Your question has already been answered in other posts. RTFT.

In the addition to some already listed, Infinity Blade I and II, Real Racing HD, PGA Tour, MC3, RAGE HD, GTA3 are some of my favs.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I am not saying that these games are better than every Vita game. My argument is simply that there are good games on an iPad too; in fact at this point comparing my Vita and my iPad - there are more good games right now on the iPad. Of course it isn't a fair fight considering how long the iPad has been out vs the Vita.

Last edited:
I went and checked some gameplay videos.

Infinity blade...is this? :confused: Looks like a kinect game simulator...but you don't really do anything but QTE.
The racing game is just turning the wheel...
Golf game, is a golf game.
MC3 is the name of 100 different games.
RAGE was a overly simple on rail shooter... It barely looks like you have to do anything.
GTA3 is a remake of a 340 year old game, which looks worse than the original (on the PS2, might look slightly better, but the original went against games then, not games now) and looks horrible to control via touchscreen.

It looks like the typical problems of touchscreen only gaming. Horrible UI means that everything has to be massively simplifed to the point where your not really in control of the action. which means theres no real depth to anything, and little apparent replay value..."hey want to do the exact same thing you just did, again".

Can you honestly say any of those things would be on any best game ever lists? Honestly?

Then, remakes of old old games with a worse UI. Outstanding...

Real Racing is not just turning the wheel. If you customise steering, you get normal racing game.
and yeah, we really need hard games, that require controllers for 1 hour long flight, or a 30 minutes train ride. Yeah, that's exactly what we miss ;P

LoL, well it's easy to make up your mind by looking at videos on youtube instead of using both extensively.

Oh, you have made me realized that I've never been a serious gamer cause my pc isn't sold as a game machine :p

J/k, it appears that we just fundamentally disagree. I've never enjoyed mobile game devices, but I do play a lot of stuff on the iPad(not phone) and think its worth it.

You didn't get it.
1, the PC isn't comparable anything in this thread, because is naturally the most technologically advanced platform to play a game (give or take a few months for new console launches). It will always be a "serious" platform.

This isn't about agreeing or disagreeing. The phone or pad was not made for gaming. Thats it. done. I play alot on my phone too, it doesn't change the fact that it was made to be a phone first and everything else 2nd.

Apologize (I'm the OP), didn't really get to read responses until today, was busy all weekend.

I think I might have made some (all apparently...) people misinterpret what I was asking. I should have been more clear, and I apologize. What I meant to ask was, would the Vita be worth it more OVERALL versus say, the iPad which has more uses. I'm all for sole-gaming machines, but I never meant for the iPad to be my gaming machine. It wasn't designed to be one.

Moving on, I decided to do research and made the executive decision that for the current moment, I would be better off with an iPad (got the new one) than the Vita which got almost zero use from me. Let me also be clear that I did enjoy the Vita a lot, but lack of any games on the horizon (my horizon is about a month, I'm impatient) made the iPad a clear winner. That's not to say that I don't want a Vita, I'll be picking up another in a few months down the road for sure, providing of course that the games are up to par as well. Once the market floods with more games I'm sure it'll pick up too.

Thanks for the responses all, even though I derailed my own thread. :)

Back