Has the Steam Deck stayed part of your gaming life?

My Steam Deck...

• Total voters

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
So has the Steam Deck held it's own or has the cool factor has worn off? I'm curious how long you've had yours as well if you want to share.

mine comes tomorrow…. Im pretty pumped. If you asked this same question but about Switch, my answer would be absolutely has held it’s own. My switch has been my gaming platform of choice for several years. Being a dad and husband means that I can’t tie up the tv and sitting at my desk to game on my pc just simply isn’t comfortable anymore. Nor do I want to alienate myself from the family during couch potato time after or before dinner. I’m hoping to finally destroy years worth of steam sale purchases that have sat neglected.

mine comes tomorrow…. Im pretty pumped. If you asked this same question but about Switch, my answer would be absolutely has held it’s own. My switch has been my gaming platform of choice for several years. Being a dad and husband means that I can’t tie up the tv and sitting at my desk to game on my pc just simply isn’t comfortable anymore. Nor do I want to alienate myself from the family during couch potato time after or before dinner. I’m hoping to finally destroy years worth of steam sale purchases that have sat neglected.
You know I bought a switch some years back and I've played on it maybe 5 hours on it. My gf took it over which I have no regrets it's probably one of the console systems I've owned that has seen the most play. She's played Animal crossing daily like religiously. A couple other games but I honestly think Nintendo knocked it out of the park except for the lack of DLC's for animal crossing is f'ing perplexing. I've had health issues caused work so sitting at my PC chair isn't so comfortable these days but I miss gaming so that's why I'm considering a Steam Deck since my game library is there and I can chill in the living room with her. I'll wait for it to go on sale again, hope prices will drop a bit or maybe an OLED version will be out by then. $500 + tax CDN is a bit f'ing steep for a base model. I mean I could buy a new laptop for another switch for $100+ less.

I don't use it as much as I thought I would, but that may be mostly because I am home a lot more now and prefer to play on my PC when I have gaming time. I've brought it on trips and to work previously and it got a lot of use then.

I still use mine regularly - I thought it was going to be something I mainly pull out for night shift, but found I regularly use it around the house too (ie: before bed, watching the news, while on the stationary bike). I've already put more time on this thing than any console I've used recently (including my Switch).

Suspend mode is great, when it works properly, I'm finding it's still quite glitchy (main issue being the controller is 'lost' upon resuming).

I view it as the perfect 'companion' device to my PC, I really enjoyed being able to play main story missions/side missions for Cyberpunk on my main PC, but then be able to run side gigs on my Deck while away from the PC.

Emulation was (and still is) great, but I'm seeing myself use it less and less for that purpose. Thinking I'd rather just play a modern retro-inspired title than the old games from my youth.

The one big feature I'm waiting for is official dual booting so that I can run Game Pass titles natively through Windows (or some way to run the GP titles natively through Steam OS). I know there's current methods of dual booting, but I'd prefer to wait for an official method from Valve (which I heard should be introduced in Steam OS 3.5) and once I upgrade the SSD to something larger.

I have no desire to play on a portable machine. I never cared for a Gameboy or anything growing up. When I am not home I have no time for gaming. I rather sit and play on my 65" OLED too. If I ever go out of town or something I have a laptop more powerful then the deck.

I voted buyers remorse. I ended up selling mine at a loss.

1). Battery life is way too short. Maybe an hour with a AAA title.
2). Non-"steam deck verified" games will work if you want to spend a half hour fiddling with settings and controls
3). Wifi module is iffy with 5Ghz enabled
4). Official dock wouldn't work with VRR monitor and display port
5). Support for non-Steam titles or services is rough or non-existent (Xbox Game Pass for starters).

I think this thing is the single neatest thing since sliced bread. I don't really game on it as much as you'd think, but as a Linux PC it is fantastic with 1 exception - VALVE, PLEASE ADD CUPS TO STEAMOS. The Steam Deck can be used as a ridiculously portable computer that also plays games (Connecting to the dock makes it VERY easy to use as a computer).

Definitely don't use it as much as I should. Really dislike how you can't really install apps outside of Flathub, but SteamOS is amazing overall. Just wish the battery life was better, I think that's the biggest reason I haven't used mine much.

Definitely don't use it as much as I should. Really dislike how you can't really install apps outside of Flathub, but SteamOS is amazing overall. Just wish the battery life was better, I think that's the biggest reason I haven't used mine much.

I feel you on this, but most of the time I use it I'm near enough to an outlet anyway.

Getting mine Friday and will use it during the occasional downtimes i'll get when i'm doing 12's at work. Found my old PsP a while back, and have been playing that alot, so i'm pretty sure i'll get some use out of the Deck.

Very situationally (rarely). I'll bring it with me on trips, or when I get my car worked on (for example). But more often than not I find that it's nice to have it but I usually don't need it or use it. It's nice knowing I'll never be bored, but it's a fairly unnecessary luxury.

To be honest I feel like the controller aspect of the Deck is seriously lacking. Primarily the buttons and triggers. They feel too cheap for the price of the Deck. They're just not really up to par with the Dualshock or Xbox controllers, and you can feel it.

I spend way too much time on the crapper because of the steamdeck. I spend way more time burning steaks on the back yard grill because of the steamdeck. I even consider, if only for a second, well more like a nano second, using public transportation so I can play the steamdeck instead of drive.

I spend way too much time on the crapper because of the steamdeck. I spend way more time burning steaks on the back yard grill because of the steamdeck. I even consider, if only for a second, well more like a nano second, using public transportation so I can play the steamdeck instead of drive.
You may be the official:

I'll have to see what I could sell an AMD 3800X for. I'm considering selling it and putting it towards a steam deck or an Asus ROG Ally (prices being a factor).

I think the people with 5ghz wifi problems should RMA, I've only used 5 ghz from phone tethering and unifi 6 pro access points since FedEx hurled it onto my porch last year with no niggles.

They make Bluetooth and wifi temperature probes, mine has 4 2.5mm connectors for probes and Bluetooth, two AA batteries. This way I can make charcoal grill yell at me when it's time to flip and when to remove while I'm reading or exercising the fluffier family members.

I use it on days I have to go into the office (2-3 days a week) and when traveling. Got some cozy cabin gaming in this week at Mammoth Mountain:
PXL_20230403_160218405.jpg

At home it's docked to serve as my kids' gaming PC on their little IKEA Lack coffee table desk. This pic was taken before I added a little 5W sound bar and hand-me-down G502 to their setup.
PXL_20221018_000058796.MP2.jpg

Reactions: Jelly
like this
Now when they come out with a stem deck 2, I may take a look?

Saw that Asus unit that just came out, but I like symmetrical analog sticks and the deck has those mouse pad things. So still gonna wait for deck 2

Now when they come out with a stem deck 2, I may take a look?

Saw that Asus unit that just came out, but I like symmetrical analog sticks and the deck has those mouse pad things. So still gonna wait for deck 2

You assume that they are planning a deck2 and aren't trying to get other manufacturers to compete to push their gaming platform. I see it as they saw how successful the Nintendo Switch is as being being a handheld and home console if they can just get a couple hardware companies to start competing why would anyone want a Switch2 other than for proprietary games and if you think games should be locked to one system well f that. The steam machine\controller wasn't a success. The handheld\home gaming console has been though.

I use it mainly for emulation, games that just don't work well with KB+Mouse (It's honestly the only way I play games that pretty much require a gamepad, I just can't stand using a gamepad on my computer for some reason), or when traveling. So, it's still in use a fair amount for me . I

I also get some use out of it when I need a linux desktop for random things and it's all I have with me at the time. Quite handy to randomly have around.

I'd probably buy a Steamdeck 2 when it comes out.

What's a good emulator for the Deck? Any all-in-one things? Might be able to copy some over from my Pandora.

Keep telling my wife, this is the best purchase I made in years. Just purchased a 4090 in December and dont even game on it. Put way more hrs on my steam deck then the 4090. I prefer playing on the steam deck, then my gaming pc, even with the lg oled 120hz. Clearing my backlog of games. Crazy how we can never find time to game when we are older. Now those little quick 10-15 mins, adds up then you beat the game.

Just beat devil may cry 4. 8hrs to beat it. Would of never found the time to knock that out without the steam deck.

The steam deck brought the joy of gaming back to me.

Got it in march.
Screenshot 2023-04-10 165413.jpg

Wow I love this gameplan lol

90% of my gaming is done on my steam deck now. After sitting at my desk all day for work I don't want to sit there all night to game, so I grab my SD and flop down on the couch.
If you're a parent, owning a SD is a no brainer.

My situation is very similar to yours. In order to play any of my games, I have to go to the basement. In and of itself, that is not a problem...but it definitely alienates me, and I end up not seeing the family. They just disperse, and do their own thing, including going to bed, without even telling me. I also don't want to tie up the TV, knowing that nobody wants to watch me play.

That said, I know how I've been with portable systems in the past (not much use), and the price for any version of Steam Deck is quite steep. Ideally, I'd like to borrow/rent one for a while to see if it suits me and my needs. Maybe it would finally let me knock out skyrim or something.
Also, since I have quite a few games on EA/Origin, Epic and GOG, I'd still be missing out on a number of titles I own, unless Steam Deck can play those.

I wish they made one with a bigger screen. I think a 10 incher could be cool. 7 is just too small for my old eyes. There is a guy on FS selling one fairly cheap.... I was tempted, but I had to remind myself I got rid of my Vita bc I couldn't see the stupid thing

Back