Has Intel Abandoned the HEDT Market?

We’ve pretty much known it was coming for a few months now. The questions have been twofold:

1. Is it true HEDT, with mixed price points, or a pure workstation/almost server chip like Sapphire Rapids (especially since the sapphire rapids boards are pretty much just server kit with slightly better coloration)? Also SR didn’t have great clocks for the lower core parts.

2. What’s the brand? Threadripper, or Threadripper pro?

I’m hoping we have a delineation between TR and TR Pro again. I expect it’ll all be workstation class only though, and starting at 2k plus.
I really don't care if it's "TR Pro" as long as its 1: Overclockable and 2: Awesome boards exist for it. People are willing to spend 2K+ on a video card used for clout, they can spend the money on a god-tier CPU

We’ve pretty much known it was coming for a few months now
Well, yes, from an official roadmap and various leaks. But a reviewer actually talking about the embargo because the info is already in his hands is a new level of intrigue and suggests things are a little closer to hand.
1. Is it true HEDT, with mixed price points, or a pure workstation/almost server chip like Sapphire Rapids (especially since the sapphire rapids boards are pretty much just server kit with slightly better coloration)? Also SR didn’t have great clocks for the lower core parts.
I think competitive parts that will help drive down prices of either side would be a win, though desktop HEDT is my preference. The way AMD makes all of their bigger chips, a hypothetical 32-core TR with 4 channel ram shouldn't be much more than twice the price of a 7950X (but will be) and could conceivably use slightly lower clocks for a reasonable HEDT TDP.

Noctua also had a "Next Generation Threadripper" D15-style cooler at their booth. GN Steve slipped up a little in his video and unintentionally confirmed it was coming before he even read the display card.
I'll swing by Nocuta's booth and see what I can get them to say. Silverstone didn't seem concerned with me repeating anything he said.

We’ve pretty much known it was coming for a few months now. The questions have been twofold:

2. What’s the brand? Threadripper, or Threadripper pro?

I’m hoping we have a delineation between TR and TR Pro again. I expect it’ll all be workstation class only though, and starting at 2k plus.

It's about as ugly as the Intel waterblock so it may not be as consumer targeted as we want...

I really don't care if it's "TR Pro" as long as its 1: Overclockable and 2: Awesome boards exist for it. People are willing to spend 2K+ on a video card used for clout, they can spend the money on a god-tier CPU
Technically, Xeon-W 34XX / 24XX matches that... ish.
Well, yes, from an official roadmap and various leaks. But a reviewer actually talking about the embargo because the info is already in his hands is a new level of intrigue and suggests things are a little closer to hand.

I think competitive parts that will help drive down prices of either side would be a win, though desktop HEDT is my preference. The way AMD makes all of their bigger chips, a hypothetical 32-core TR with 4 channel ram shouldn't be much more than twice the price of a 7950X (but will be) and could conceivably use slightly lower clocks for a reasonable HEDT TDP.
True. And same for what I want - I like my 3960X. I'd pay 1500-1800 for a 7960X. 24-32 cores, all the lanes.
I'll swing by Nocuta's booth and see what I can get them to say. Silverstone didn't seem concerned with me repeating anything he said.

It's about as ugly as the Intel waterblock so it may not be as consumer targeted as we want...
That's my fear. Call it vain if you want, but I like shiny - and I like consumer focused features - and I want ultimate boards. My Zenith II Extreme Alpha has been a very good board. I want another like it.

Back