Has anyone moved from a Zen 4 CPU to another Zen 4 CPU, yet?

sk3tch

2[H]4U
I'm rocking a 7700X as a stop gap until X3D (Micro Center deal). Me being the nut that I am I have a 7900X en route via another [H] homie. I just watched Steve's (GamersNexus) review of 7900X and he outlined the mobos were finicky about taking another Zen 4 CPU when swapped...is that just early release bugs or is this something I need to look out for / look forward to when I swap out the 7700X for the 7900X? Thanks!

I'm rocking a 7700X as a stop gap until X3D (Micro Center deal). Me being the nut that I am I have a 7900X en route via another [H] homie. I just watched Steve's (GamersNexus) review of 7900X and he outlined the mobos were finicky about taking another Zen 4 CPU when swapped...is that just early release bugs or is this something I need to look out for / look forward to when I swap out the 7700X for the 7900X? Thanks!
Experience between user or reviewer might differ, so you don't have thing about it too heavily.
Just swap the cpu like usual and test whether there would be hassle or not.

Clear the Cmos before putting in the replacement. It should be like putting in a cpu in a fresh motherboard, right?

I know you get a TPM warning if you have TPM enabled and swap Ryzen 5000 CPU's. I ran across this the other night when I swapped out a 5600G for a 5500 and chose to reset the TPM.
If you have Windows logon with a Pin, the Pin gets disabled and you have to log into Windows again with your Live credentials and create a new pin.

Last edited:
Yeah good points - it wasn’t a big deal at all on Zen 3 (moved to X3D there). I don’t use TPM so not worried there!

Hopefully it’s smooth as that’s why I go AMD these days! Easy upgrade path. I’ll be putting 3-4 CPUs in before the platform is done. :)

I plan on doing exactly what the OP did. I can't trust that microcenter will continue to have this free ram deal with the X3D chips that they have with the current Zen4s. Free ram, even if I sell it, is too good to pass up

I plan on doing exactly what the OP did. I can't trust that microcenter will continue to have this free ram deal with the X3D chips that they have with the current Zen4s. Free ram, even if I sell it, is too good to pass up
Yeah - no way X3D gets the free RAM promo - at least for the first few weeks. I think AMD learned their lesson with the Zen 4 launch and will price competitively out of the gate. They’ll be expensive though, I’m sure.

i super super hope that am5 is supported as much as am4. 5 generations? That means AM5, the last CPU i can get would be a 12800X3D

Swapped it out - no issues. Just as easy as Zen 3. (y)

ryzen_9_7900x.jpg

7900x_7900xtx.png

Last edited:
Back