Has anyone checked out the new season 4 of Fortnite? Insane with an RTX 4090...

Exactly. Started playing with the kids and man is it fun. I was the same as ZB at first. Ripping on it, until you realise your 4 million FPS hours of experience from the 90's is invaluable.
Lol. So true. My bro tries to rationalize why I do so well - says it’s because the algorithm puts me with scrubs in build mode because it detects that I don’t build. Lol!

I love the strategy of countering builders with stealth, explosives, etc. such a fun game!

Lol. So true. My bro tries to rationalize why I do so well - says it’s because the algorithm puts me with scrubs in build mode because it detects that I don’t build. Lol!

I love the strategy of countering builders with stealth, explosives, etc. such a fun game!
I picked it up for the first time in 4 years and placed second my first round. Does it put you with similar experience players? I didn't figure out melee until the second round...

I don't have a high end rig but I checked it out yesterday evening. Wanted to see 5.1 in action. I hadn't touched the game in a few years either and wound up placing 1st in a match the thrird round lol. But it looks good i was getting 50's on high(lumen and the other setting) software didn't try it with hardware raytracing turned on. will try that next.

I'm pretty sure they have a no build mode, probably be more your style.
I play that with my son but I prefer doing solo build mode for the strategy,

I picked it up for the first time in 4 years and placed second my first round. Does it put you with similar experience players? I didn't figure out melee until the second round...

They do!
If you’re that fresh and new you may be getting mostly bots. It’s an extremely polished game

Seeing how demanding this game is makes me think we are in for a reset on GPU requirements once more games start using UE 5.1 and all it's features. Where cards like the 3080 were once considered suitable for 4K gaming, they will probably be barely scrapping by at 1440p in maxed out UE5.1 titles.

Seeing how demanding this game is makes me think we are in for a reset on GPU requirements once more games start using UE 5.1 and all it's features. Where cards like the 3080 were once considered suitable for 4K gaming, they will probably be barely scrapping by at 1440p in maxed out UE5.1 titles.
I've played with high end PC gear for years - this is the first time I've played and just said "wow" at a game. It's incredible. Especially as an avid player and coming into this (season ended last week, was out of town for my bro's wedding, so didn't play until yesterday). It's practically a new game and engine.

I've been playing casually the past few days (zero build, since I haven't played in 3+ years), the game does look incredible maxed out at 4K. Using TSR with 77% render scale, averaging around 90fps. One thing that irritates me is HDR only works on days BattleEye is being used instead of EAC.

I played that game for about an hour (years ago) before I felt the urge to tear someone's heart out. XD

Kind of mind boggling how this game can eat a 4090. As a prospective buyer of a 4090 i kind of now find myself stepping back and maybe considering a cheaper/stop gap card if UE5 games are going to make me want a faster(?!!) gpu in a couple of years.

Or maybe the problem is I shouldnt buy a 4K display and stay with my ultrawide.

Kind of mind boggling how this game can eat a 4090. As a prospective buyer of a 4090 i kind of now find myself stepping back and maybe considering a cheaper/stop gap card if UE5 games are going to make me want a faster(?!!) gpu in a couple of years.

It's an easy thing to state without experiencing it.

You can use whatever crap card you have now to see. I am on the road right now so I am on an RTX 3080 Ti laptop GPU and it is still incredible.

I kinda feel like it's always been this way. Remember how everyone marveled at the power of the GTX 780 Ti when it came out? And then the same year new consoles came out, game development got updated to be in line with the new console specs, and the 780 Ti fell flat on it's face shortly after. I kinda having a feeling the same thing is going to happen here once developers completely transition away from cross gen development and fully commit to XSX and PS5 and really make use out of UE5.1. The 4090 will probably not feel underpowered any time soon but I think 30 series and older definitely will, we might just see a repeat of nvidia cheaping out on vram affecting their cards again like the post Kepler days. 2-3GB of VRAM quickly fell out of favor and maybe this time around having less than 12GB might be the limiting factor.

Last edited:
Called it. When I saw that the 3070 had only 8gb of vram I ran away from looking at one.

It's going to smack into a cliff wall one of these days.
Well, to be fair, you aren't some sort of fortune teller. It's a mid range card. There are 5 models above it in its own generation and 2 currently available in the next and more on the way.

Expecting to run games at 4k on a mid range card without some concessions is a silly expectation.

Well, to be fair, you aren't some sort of fortune teller. It's a mid range card. There are 5 models above it in its own generation and 2 currently available in the next and more on the way.

Expecting to run games at 4k on a mid range card without some concessions is a silly expectation.
Never said 4k. I'm thinking 1440p.

Fortnite's Unreal Engine 5 Upgrade Reviewed- Lumen/Nanite at 60FPS - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S + PC!

huh? Surely your 3090 or our 3090's are more powerful than consoles which are running this rather decently.
4k maxed out is like 35fps. The consoles use a watered down method of UE5 (basically light and reflections will have fewer bounces and less to calculate at the cost of accuracy instead of performance). I'm just used to being able to turn all the settings up, but not in this case.

4k maxed out is like 35fps. The consoles use a watered down method of UE5 (basically light and reflections will have fewer bounces and less to calculate at the cost of accuracy instead of performance). I'm just used to being able to turn all the settings up, but not in this case.
Yes, it was mention I do believe 1/16 of the rays casted, relying more on the denoiser to clear things up. Seems like the PC version should have some settings for amount of rays casted and not bring 99% of the RT cards to the knees while a much weaker hardware console does fine.

Wait I’m confused. Was there like a massive game engine upgrade to Fortnite or something ? And now it crippled all video cards or what? Because prior to this, I remember a monitor being hooked up to a peanut could run Fortnite maxed out?

Wait I’m confused. Was there like a massive game engine upgrade to Fortnite or something ? And now it crippled all video cards or what? Because prior to this, I remember a monitor being hooked up to a peanut could run Fortnite maxed out?
Fortnite's Unreal Engine 5 Upgrade Reviewed- Lumen/Nanite at 60FPS - PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S + PC!

Exactly. Started playing with the kids and man is it fun. I was the same as ZB at first. Ripping on it, until you realise your 4 million FPS hours of experience from the 90's is invaluable.
This is a great game to play with the kids in a team, split screen or different systems. When we get that 1st place it is pretty epic lol. I do not build like my kids do and I hold my own. They just do not 1v1 me and expect to win. lol

You can still play on anything, but there are options to the enhance the quality and it will bring a card to its knees yes. Hardware raytracing is legitimately expensive.

Called it. When I saw that the 3070 had only 8gb of vram I ran away from looking at one.

It's going to smack into a cliff wall one of these days.
Not sure what it brining this (or the called it claim), even in the very VRAM heavy portal RTX mod the 3070 is eating up the 11 gig 2080TI, maybe obviously but in general I can imagine a 3070 will go under 90fps or anything reasonable even if would have had 12 gig for scene that require that much.

Back