Happy 15th birthday F.E.A.R.

I played for about an hour. Still holds up, the action is a lot of fun.

Some aspects of the art are dated (especially the city back drop), but indoors it's not so bad.

I really love the crisp stencil shadows, gave it a different look and feel and something original we haven't seen in any games for like 15 years.

Just make sure to get the DirectInput fix or the FPS will be really bad (especially noticeable on high refresh monitors).

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/789-directinput-fps-fix/

I may just have to run through this one again. It really did scare the shit out of me.

The first playthrough of this is an unbelievable gaming experience. I can honestly say I've never quite had that happen again. Avoid spoilers and age be damned: If you have never played this classic then I'm begging you to fire this up.

Last edited:
FEAR was a very cool game. I liked #2 as well. Never played the 3rd one, though.
I don't necessarily remember it being all that scary (outside of some occasional jumps), but I do remember it being pretty challenging. Dealing with a horde of SWAT guys in a dark office building and such.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I loved this game was well. I don't think I ever made it to the 3rd one. Getting raped at the end of 2 by scary psychic monster was about the peak messed upness I was willing to deal with.

I never played all the way through F.E.A.R. 3 because it was built to be a co-op experience, and they changed the style and gameplay.
It lost it's creepiness factor, and was more of an action game. I lost all interest roughly halfway through the second or third level. It just lost what made it F.E.A.R., probably because it was developed by a different studio.

The sequels weren't as good as the first one, but they were still okay and worth playing.

I played everything, the expansions, all 3 main games, and the online one (wasn't that great and way too hard).

Here's the question though, I'm only seeing it on Steam as a package? You can't just buy the original, and the package is $54, wtf!?

Here's the question though, I'm only seeing it on Steam as a package? You can't just buy the original, and the package is $54, wtf!?
If I recall correctly, they go dirt cheap during sales.

ETA: The complete pack is now on sale for $11.

Last edited:
Reactions: w35t
like this
You can use Nvidia DSR to get better quality. I think last I played it at 5K resolution and it looked pretty nice.

Here is a video that shows how to use any controller in a unsupported game just found the video.
I had alot of trouble using Keyboard and mouse in this game mainly due to the aiming.

F.E.A.R. needs an high rez update. Do not touch any gameplay mechanic just modern visuals! It deserves the modern visual touch!

That is a nice touch but it needs ID Tech7 or Unreal engine type of visual remake, all modern graphics tech. That way it goes from a Doom 3 look to Doom/ Doom Eternal type of upgrade.

Ah, so a remake.
I agree, it'd be nice.

This was the only game I ever got my wife to play with me. I made her play the scary parts because it was funnier that way. Were any of the sequels any good?

I liked 2 and 3, but they were definitely weaker than the original.

Still, it explores the story more and the action is good, just not as tight as the first.

Back