Halo Infinite

Halo was obviously important for console FPS's, but I still remember how much better the game previews looked for the PC version before it became an xbox game. It likely wouldn't have done as well as it has if it wasn't the key xbox title that it is, but people acting like it's the most important FPS of all time obviously didn't touch PC FPS's much back in the day.

Halo was obviously important for console FPS's, but I still remember how much better the game previews looked for the PC version before it became an xbox game. It likely wouldn't have done as well as it has if it wasn't the key xbox title that it is, but people acting like it's the most important FPS of all time obviously didn't touch PC FPS's much back in the day.

It was, because PC's where a loooong way from being mainstream in 2001. Halo proved to an entire generation that console gaming could be that good, it finally mainstreamed both the console FPS and the type of control setup and sensitivity required.

I gamed both since forever, I love Pc gaming, but Halo imo deserves its spot.

Also the 'PC' version was a far far far cry from what it ended up as on console, as well it was not PC it was Mac. It was originally a Myth style rts, with marines and warthogs, then they added very basic covenant models and turned it into a third person shooter. Due to the lack of funding needed to complete they took the project on the road and found a home with microsoft as an xbox exclusive.

It was, because PC's where a loooong way from being mainstream in 2001. Halo proved to an entire generation that console gaming could be that good, it finally mainstreamed both the console FPS and the type of control setup and sensitivity required.

I gamed both since forever, I love Pc gaming, but Halo imo deserves its spot.

Also the 'PC' version was a far far far cry from what it ended up as on console, as well it was not PC it was Mac. It was originally a Myth style rts, with marines and warthogs, then they added very basic covenant models and turned it into a third person shooter. Due to the lack of funding needed to complete they took the project on the road and found a home with microsoft as an xbox exclusive.
yup. it holds its position on hallowed ground for good reason. i still remember playing through it the first time with a friend in split screen co-op. even though it made the story make no sense (who's this other heroic Spartan who apparently is every bit as capable as Master Chief? lol) it was mind blowing on technical AND gameplay levels. that position has been "softened" over the years but that's to be expected, and it happened to every major franchise from that era.

yup. it holds its position on hallowed ground for good reason. i still remember playing through it the first time with a friend in split screen co-op. even though it made the story make no sense (who's this other heroic Spartan who apparently is every bit as capable as Master Chief? lol) it was mind blowing on technical AND gameplay levels. that position has been "softened" over the years but that's to be expected, and it happened to every major franchise from that era.
It also heralds from an era rife with Easter eggs that aren't just product or movie tie ins. There was one level (343 guilty spark I believe) where you could jump back into the pelican and if you road it it would stop at the edge of the map and a marine would be standing there with unique dialogue, found that just messing around and its still one of my favorites.

The grunt talking about his favorite food during the Warthog run in a hallway off to the side.

Or that I broke the game by trying to early rocket launch a parked banshee (two betrayals I think) only to flip it over. I killed all the elites and the banshee was still there, flew it up to the walk way rather than running through the doors and level, broke all the triggers and no more enemies spawned.

Good times, and that doesn't even include the multiplayer.

So far I am enjoying Infinite more than BF2042.

I've been playing a lot of Infinite. I'm ready for an update though, any word on updates?

I've been playing a lot of Infinite. I'm ready for an update though, any word on updates?
Saw a tweet from the lead designer saying he "hears" us about the progression system complaints. We'll see how that goes, but they also "heard" the complaints during the closed beta and did nothing about them except make the system even grindier for the public beta. They're obviously hanging the game and its revenue generation on the battle pass system, so any changes are going to be mild. The least they could do is make it relevant and fun.

I don't really mind the progression system given all of the unlocks are cosmetic.

I'm enjoying the game a lot. It's a nice change of pace to not have to worry about grinding for equipment \ unlocks to be on a level playing field.

Saw a tweet from the lead designer saying he "hears" us about the progression system complaints. We'll see how that goes, but they also "heard" the complaints during the closed beta and did nothing about them except make the system even grindier for the public beta. They're obviously hanging the game and its revenue generation on the battle pass system, so any changes are going to be mild. The least they could do is make it relevant and fun.
I think the consensus is that the gameplay is fun enough as is, but the press around the battlepass is negative. The campaign release date will probably trigger any real changes with the influx of players and even more eyes looking at it.

I think the consensus is that the gameplay is fun enough as is, but the press around the battlepass is negative. The campaign release date will probably trigger any real changes with the influx of players and even more eyes looking at it.
Good reminder for everybody that the campaign releases next Tuesday.

Yeah, I've been enjoying my Halo Infinite time and had a good amount of fun during last week's 'Event'. Playing a match or three while listening to Spotify with a bulldog curled at my feet is a relaxing way to unwind in the evening.

I plan to give the campaign a shot when it releases. I haven't been into PvP (of any sort) in shooter games for a long time, but I'll play the story since it's on Game Pass. I actually forgot this was even incoming until I saw some commercials for it during football games over the weekend.

Last edited:
Man the game is just boring - apparently the rest of the world agrees, as the current weekly steam charts have fallen by a factor of 5x in two weeks ( down to under 50k this week!)

https://steamcharts.com/app/1240440

The cheaters have probably also made a dent in that player count!

https://www.techspot.com/news/92414-halo-infinite-console-players-want-cross-play-turned.html

It only took two weeks to Sink that Battleship :rolleyes:
I wouldn't read to much into a free launch of a basically beta multiplayer, wait for the rest to follow and see how it does.

I wouldn't read to much into a free launch of a basically beta multiplayer, wait for the rest to follow and see how it does.
I'm not actually interested in jumping into the multiplayer yet. I'll do what I usually do and wade in after completing the story campaign. So I'm one of the ones who have not played the beta and don't plan to. The multiplayer is free to play forever, so there is no rush at this point.

Yeah I think I'm just waiting for the campaign.

Meanwhile... something which was anticipated (cheating) and yet not developed (report player functionality in-game) ...

uoe9sk2sfn281.jpg

Yeah I think I'm just waiting for the campaign.

Meanwhile... something which was anticipated (cheating) and yet not developed (report player functionality in-game) ...

View attachment 417164
Yeah thats a nothing burger, I can't remember the last time an in game report button resulted in anything. I still see the same hackers as I did months ago on CoD, same experience with overwatch when I played it.

Why not? if you're free-to-pay, there are so many other choices out there!

Destiny 2 is still a much better FPS than this, Apex Legends has got the mechanics of Slide implemented much smoother than Halo, or if you want to get your battlefield "big map with vehicles "experience, Amazon has been giving away Battlefield 5 all month (so it's effectively become "free to pay")

If the PC players are already dying like flies, then all you have left is the locked-in Xbox players (but they have a similar selection of free-to-pay games to compete with this trash).

I give MS credit for doing the first-ever simultaneous Halo release, but there's not enough depth in the multiplayer game to hook new PC players (and there's been no clarity from Microsoft or 343 about how many years it will take before the game is feature-complete, EVEN THOUGH CAMPAIGN IS OUT ON THE 8TH! They rushed this out the dour to beat Battlefield 2042, but it's going to kill itself in the process.

Last edited:
Why not? if you're free-to-pay, there are so many other choices out there!

Destiny 2 is still a much better game than this, and if you want to get your battlefield big map experience, Amazon has been giving away Battlefield 5 all month (so it's effectively become "free to pay")

If the PC players are already dyiing like flues, then all you have left is the locked-in Live players.

Because Halo I is basically a early access beta atm, more to come.

Destiny 2 is basically dead, they killed it with bad choices and vaulting all the content.

BF5 was killed by EA.

BF2042 is a mess.

I get it, you hate things.

*I guess CoD is in there, warzone is free but I hate it.

Last edited:
I'm Liking it so far but, Man.. playing comp on pc is aggravating because I'm the only one talking in the mic. The one good thing about overwatch is better communication even if they just type something. But even in quickplay i've only encountered about 3 mic's in like 70 matches. As for Cod well...

I'm Liking it so far but, Man.. playing comp on pc is aggravating because I'm the only one talking in the mic. The one good thing about overwatch is better communication even if they just type something. But even in quickplay i've only encountered about 3 mic's in like 70 matches. As for Cod well...
because real comp players use discord :).

A bit tounge in cheek, but not really, discord is just better than in game. It doesn't cut out during loading, it doesn't stop if someones game crashes. All my voice chatting is in disco on pc.

Should I turn on Async computing? RTX 3080 @ 4k.

Can't find benchmarks.

Should I turn on Async computing? RTX 3080 @ 4k.

Can't find benchmarks.
It doesn't really benefit NVIDIA cards that much since their core scheduling is still much better than AMD's.

Looks like they pushed the campaign release back a day? Now says Wednesday, December 8 18:00 UTC across all platforms. That would be 13:00 EST/10:00 PST.

Seems like all the reviews are based on console versions.

With regards to the Digital Foundry "review" I like the nitpicking and the looks at the previously released trailers (2019, 2020) are welcome. Feels a bit too driven by nostalgia, and feels like it forgives a lot.

Dang it, I'll have to download on crappy hotel internet =\

Kinda wish there was a preload

Dang it, I'll have to download on crappy hotel internet =\

Kinda wish there was a preload
You can preload it through the Xbox app if you purchased it in the Microsoft Store or have Game Pass. I don't know if there is a preload for the Steam version, as I don't purchase first-party Microsoft games on there.

Reactions: w35t
like this
I mean, it's a more open world style game now. That's pretty typical. They'll likely patch in a new game plus mode later on or something.

DF released their PC settings investigation and it's pretty interesting. Something truly bizarre happening as AMD GPUs have no business being faster in certain areas. Lots of weird bugs. Doesn't seem to be game-breaking, but yeah, just like the issues found in the console version, some patches would be welcome.

How is this PC version for a fun single player game?

Last Halo game I played was the original on the X-Flop console, and hated playing a shooter with some kiddy controller, to me shooters are mouse + keyboard only. I sold that Xbox a month later, haven't had a console since. Consoles seem pointless when there's PC gaming rigs.

I never understood the love fest Halo gets, where better classic shooters like Doom and Quake are far more important and classic in the genre.

Saying all that, I'm bored and in need of a new fun single player game to play with my RTX-3080 and 34" Ultrawide. Is this new Halo game worth the buy?

I already stopped playing BF2042 until it's patched

I don't think anyone knows yet. You can't trust mainstream pre-release reviews at all. However, it looks like it could be the FPS singleplayer shooter of the year considering that Farcry6 was a flop, COD is weak for SP, and 2042 is just garbage.

Back