Halo Infinite

I'm decently impressed with the polish of the graphics and the performance in the campaign. This game is a breath of fresh air after the FPS disappointments this year.

Max settings the game looks really good, I have to say, given the scale of everything going on.

I'm decently impressed with the polish of the graphics and the performance in the campaign. This game is a breath of fresh air after the FPS disappointments this year.

Max settings the game looks really good, I have to say, given the scale of everything going on.

Sounds good. Thanks for the feedback.

Into it after the first 30 or so minutes for sure. Wondering if I should have started at Heroic instead of Normal, what difficulty you all doing?

So how much will you miss if you skip Halo 5? I do admit, I didn't care for the story in 4 and don't even remember what the enemies were called or any details and I only played it about a year ago. Will this campaign reference a lot of things from 5?

Into it after the first 30 or so minutes for sure. Wondering if I should have started at Heroic instead of Normal, what difficulty you all doing?
I usually play Halo games on Heroic. Normal is always too easy and Legendary is just rage-inducing.

I usually play Halo games on Heroic. Normal is always too easy and Legendary is just rage-inducing.
Same here. Although I will say sometimes I just don't have the will (or free time!) and leave it on normal.

Another omission with the promise of "coming later" is level select- right now you have only one save, so if you want to do the beginning missions again, etc., prepare to delete and start over.

Same here. Although I will say sometimes I just don't have the will (or free time!) and leave it on normal.

Another omission with the promise of "coming later" is level select- right now you have only one save, so if you want to do the beginning missions again, etc., prepare to delete and start over.

Yeah that is a bit of an oversight. Being open world isn't much of an excuse either. They can always do checkpoint/mission starting points. Older Assassin's Creed games were open world but you could replay missions. They removed that in the recent games but was an excellent feature that more open world games should take.

Yeah I'm not sure the open world formula is all that good for Halo. Game is definitely good so far but the open world makes it feel just like every other open world game. Linear doesn't necessarily mean worse.

Yeah I'm not sure the open world formula is all that good for Halo. Game is definitely good so far but the open world makes it feel just like every other open world game. Linear doesn't necessarily mean worse.
It's OK. Not great, but at least passable. At the very least, i'm enjoying this compared to Farcry 6 which was a snooze fest.

The grappling hook makes movement in this game great, and I really appreciate how the game is actually difficult. I'm actually dying in this game and encountering challenges unlike Farcry 6.

Finally, the open world is mostly just an add-on. You've still got big linear sections when you go into areas following the main storyline.

All around, I think it's a great game package considering most PC players will only be spending $1 for 3 months of gamepass to play this, and if you don't like it you've still got the rest of the gamepass games + ea play games.

It's OK. Not great, but at least passable. At the very least, i'm enjoying this compared to Farcry 6 which was a snooze fest.

The grappling hook makes movement in this game great, and I really appreciate how the game is actually difficult. I'm actually dying in this game and encountering challenges unlike Farcry 6.

Finally, the open world is mostly just an add-on. You've still got big linear sections when you go into areas following the main storyline.

All around, I think it's a great game package considering most PC players will only be spending $1 for 3 months of gamepass to play this, and if you don't like it you've still got the rest of the gamepass games + ea play games.

Oh yeah, game is much better than FC6, I couldn't play that for more than about 10 hours before I just didn't give a shit anymore.

I maybe spoke a little prematurely, when I got to the first open world area I might have focused too much on doing everything around me, once I got back into the main story it got better. Still though, all the typical open world mechanics I just find unnecessary here. I hate getting to a new area and having more of the same busy tasks to do. I do like the "bosses" though.

I too agree that it's difficult lol, I've hit a few spots that took me multiple tries even on normal, I had a shit loadout before fighting the brute general or whatever with the hammer right before you destroy that big laser, being in such close quarters made it really hard, few other scenarios too. As of now I'm glad I went with normal for my first play through.

All in all I'm really happy with it so far and I paid $60, not into subscription services for games.

This is the first Halo game since Halo 1 that didn't bore me to tears in the fist 30 min. I'm actually enjoying this one so far, probably because they are starting to fix the gun physics. They still aren't great but they are much improved over previous versions. I still feel the whole game is about 2 or 3 years behind the times but that seems to be the line it needed to cross for me to be able to enjoy it, it almost feels as good to play as Destiny 1.

I gotta say they knocked this out of he park. I haven't enjoyed a Halo game since 3. But really enjoying this, graphics are finally updated. I'm really digging the open world stuff and just exploring.

Huge Success, and just shows how far Dice has fallen with BF.

The automated resolution scaling in this game actually works really good. I've set it to 60 FPS minimum for some of the dips I get, and I honestly don't even notice anything.

They messed up the Scorpion (and most vehicle) handling. Left/right (i.e. A/D or whatever you use) does not feel right. Not sure how it handles on a controller, but I think I've seen similar criticism.

Anyway, this game is alright. Needs a few patches. I missed stuff (audio logs and skulls) in the early missions and I'm unsure if I should just start over because there is no mission select yet.

I just made it past the opening sequence to the larger map. The game is AWESOME! Classic Halo gameplay. Challenging encounters. Very old school, but the game has a fresh look and the set pieces and theatrics are pretty epic. The grapple hook gives Chief some of the mobility of Doom Guy and makes encounters much more survivable.

The opening sequence was awesome.

I gotta say they knocked this out of he park. I haven't enjoyed a Halo game since 3. But really enjoying this, graphics are finally updated. I'm really digging the open world stuff and just exploring.

Huge Success, and just shows how far Dice has fallen with BF.
I'm sure Halo has something to do with Battlefield somehow.

This game's graphics are rocks and pine trees, with occasional buildings. Overall pretty simplistic. The vehicles handle like they're cartoons. And most people seem to be playing this game like its a spiderman simulator.

Its definitely enjoyable, but let's not kid ourselves- it gets a nostalgia pass. People are just happy to be playing Halo again. If a game with identical technical merits came out under a different name, people would be shitting on it.

This game's graphics are rocks and pine trees, with occasional buildings. Overall pretty simplistic. The vehicles handle like they're cartoons. And most people seem to be playing this game like its a spiderman simulator.

Its definitely enjoyable, but let's not kid ourselves- it gets a nostalgia pass. People are just happy to be playing Halo again. If a game with identical technical merits came out under a different name, people would be shitting on it.
I don't agree at all. The mechanics fit the series. It's supposed to be somewhat floaty, and the grapple improves the game without question. The vehicles have always handled like they do. It's part of the core feeling of the game series, and changing it would only hurt it.

As for the graphics, I agree the graphics are somewhat bland. The game generally looks good, but there isn't much texture variety, a clear symptom of the development originally being focused on the last-gen system.

Finally, this is the only singleplayer FPS to come out in recent memory that is actually challenging me. The AI is damn good, and the variety of damage/weapon types makes you have to switch things up during a fight. You can call the game simplistic, but it's a hell of a lot more involved and difficult compared to other FPS's on the market. The core gameplay here is keeping me entertained, unlike COD or Farcry 6. 2042 I don't even consider because of how awful it is, and it doesn't even have a singleplayer.

No, the game doesn't have a bunch of super complex side missions, or things to collect. However, none of that shit matters when you have a situation like Farcry 6 where the game is a snoozefest even on the highest difficulty. I'm getting my ass handed to me by the AI in Halo, and i'm not even on the hardest difficulty setting.

I don't know why the AI in so many other FPS games hasn't improved over the years, or in some cases has gotten worse. (Farcry) I like how enemies actually run and hide in this game, and will actually run to the safety of others as well. The little assholes kill me so often with their random crap. Sometimes they'll run away, only to turn around and suicide your ass with grenades. This is unlike Farcry where every single enemy just runs around like a complete idiot, and you can safely mow them down because of how stupid they are.

Last edited:
I don't agree at all. The mechanics fit the series. It's supposed to be somewhat floaty, and the grapple improves the game without question. The vehicles have always handled like they do. It's part of the core feeling of the game series, and changing it would only hurt it.

As for the graphics, I agree the graphics are somewhat bland. The game generally looks good, but there isn't much texture variety.

Finally, this is the only singleplayer FPS to come out in recent memory that is actually challenging me. The AI is damn good, and the variety of damage/weapon types makes you have to switch things up during a fight. You can call the game simplistic, but it's a hell of a lot more involved and difficult compared to other FPS's on the market. The core gameplay here is keeping me entertained, unlike COD or Farcry 6. 2042 I don't even consider because of how awful it is, and it doesn't even have a singleplayer.

To bad companion bot ai is such a potato. I can't think of how many times they get smashed by calling the tank. :mad:

To bad companion bot ai is such a potato. I can't think of how many times they get smashed by calling the tank. :mad:
It's probably for the best. If the friendly AI was as good as the enemy AI, you'd just drive them into a base and likely not even need to do anything. As it stands, a group of friendly AI with their accuracy gives you a huge leg up in larger fights.

It's probably for the best. If the friendly AI was as good as the enemy AI, you'd just drive them into a base and likely not even need to do anything. As it stands, a group of friendly AI with their accuracy gives you a huge leg up in larger fights.

I need to remember to drop the vehicle before I start equipping ai :confused:

Yeah, I'm enjoying it as well. It's very Far Cry meets Halo, but doesn't feel nearly as tedious as Far Cry.

Also, the game's been running beautifully for me, which I appreciate.

Yeah, I'm enjoying it as well. It's very Far Cry meets Halo, but doesn't feel nearly as tedious as Far Cry.

Also, the game's been running beautifully for me, which I appreciate.

I made the mistake of not installing new drivers. It was good, until I got outside.

Installed new beta drivers and it fixed the issue. It had extremely poor driver cpu performance until I did.

(6900xt)

I agree completely, this is good for a Halo game, not for a modern shooter. Compared to other AAA releases over the last few years I'd say Halo Infinity is average at best.

Any of you know how long the campaign was? Felt really short to me, I beat it in like three sittings lol. Time to up the difficulty and give it another go. It appears you can only have one save game at a time though?

Any of you know how long the campaign was? Felt really short to me, I beat it in like three sittings lol. Time to up the difficulty and give it another go. It appears you can only have one save game at a time though?

Yea it was short. I give it a b-. Good thing they waited to release it. lol.

I only played it because I have xbox game pass.

Though I feel it's too short it does have good replay-ability. You really have to strategize differently on the harder difficulties. Maybe some skulled runs would be fun too.

The automated resolution scaling in this game actually works really good. I've set it to 60 FPS minimum for some of the dips I get, and I honestly don't even notice anything.

I'm going this route with 120 and I don't notice any issues, either. 60 acts a little choppy for me for some reason. 120 is butter smooth and the visuals look native to me. Whatever tech they're using with automatic scaling = great.

Ehh, not sure about the new patch. I've had two crashes since I installed it this evening (the game ran crash free in campaign previously).

I'm still enjoying the campaign, but definitely starting to feel the redundancy (claim a FOB, save marines, disable a outpost, save marines, kill a target, save marines, story mission - repeat).

Halo Championship Series 2021-2022 – Raleigh Kick Off!

They are holding it in Raleigh NC Demember 17 - 19

AMD is powering the PC's

Yea it was short. I give it a b-. Good thing they waited to release it. lol.

I only played it because I have xbox game pass.
Doing the same thing. I got the $2 deal so I might as well put it to good use vs. some space orks.

Looks like performance wasn't as awesome as I initially thought :p I made it to the large/open outside area and my FPS fell off a cliff. I'm now using slightly tweaked versions of PC Gamer's recommendations and image scaling at 85% (of 4K) to keep performance up. Inside buildings my performance is through the roof, but outside...not so much.

Not sure where I'm at in the campaign, but it got good again. Thought it was going to do the 'cut/copy/paste' Far Cry-style gameplay objectives for the entire campaign but it went back into a more linear and directed approach again.

I might be repeating myself, but this game's definitely a return to form for the series. The grappling hook especially makes movement a lot faster, I've upgraded my grappling hook to a point where it *almost* feels like Tribes-level of speed through the terrain.

I enjoyed it, probably took me 20 hours or so with getting most of the World stuff and unlocks. Ended up playing a lot past that (I have 34 hours on record, no Multiplayer) just screwing around and trying out stuff.

Haven't really played any Halo since the first one, so went ahead and read all the story elements elsewhere to get caught up, didn't feel like I really missed anything since they were pretty thorough on what was going on and conversations.

Ran good, few slowdowns in outdoor areas when I'd blow things up. I thought the graphics were relatively well done too, although as others said, some repetitiveness.

Probably wouldn't have played if it wasn't on Game Pass (or I didn't have the holiday deal on it), but glad I did. It's a good game, probably 10- 15 hours if you play like a normal person, I'll go around a 87% .

Looks like performance wasn't as awesome as I initially thought :p I made it to the large/open outside area and my FPS fell off a cliff. I'm now using slightly tweaked versions of PC Gamer's recommendations and image scaling at 85% (of 4K) to keep performance up. Inside buildings my performance is through the roof, but outside...not so much.
It could use some optimization for sure. I get some fps drops at seemingly random times outside but overall it's pretty decent. Not sure why this game can't run in full screen mode either.

It could use some optimization for sure. I get some fps drops at seemingly random times outside but overall it's pretty decent. Not sure why this game can't run in full screen mode either.
From what I read, DX12 games don't need exclusive full screen. Borderless should yield the exact same performance. I do wish it could run exclusive full screen though. I don't like to run gsync in windowed mode. I recall some desktop apps having performance issues with it on.

One thing I've discovered is that the FPS floor + ceiling, too = borked with Gsync on my system. Setting a minimum of 60fps makes things really choppy for me. Setting a max of 120 (or even values like 118) also seems to affect smoothness in areas where I'm not pulling a zillion FPS. Turning both off helps a lot when it comes to how panning around looks. I don't think it affects performance, but it at least makes those FPS dips look less jarring and it makes aiming better. I had both set to 120 earlier, but once I got outside, that's when performance plummeted and panning around suffered most.

I think I might play some other games for the moment and see what kind of improvements come. Since I'm only rocking the campaign, I don't really care if I'm behind the curve a bit.

Back