Half Life 2-Worth the wait?

I Just came back from my local GameStop store and I now have Half Life 2!!!

I bought the regular 5 CD version with the G-Man on the cover--looks very cool...but once I opened the box there not only is no manual but the CD's don't even come in any sort of jewel case or anything...they are just laid out indiviually in the box with a CD cover on each CD...geez they couldn't even give us a nice jewel case to hold all the CD's???

the box came with 5 CD's, a "Quick Reference Card" and an ad for the ATI Radeon X800 cards

oh well.....I'm sure the game will rock!!!

Absolutely worth the wait. (Although had it been much longer...)

The water amazes me every time i see it in the game. I'm not far enough to really make a final decision. but so far I think it might be the best PC game I have ever played.

most amazing game ever.... EVER! It honestly doesn't get any better than this. I've been getting hyped up on this for a few weeks now ontop of all the press thats been out and its actually exceeded my expectations. I was up until 3am PST playing and had to drag myself away from the screen. I can't believe I'm sitting here at work when I could be playing this masterpiece of a game. :(

anyone find a good online price? eb wants $55. that would be the most i ever paid for a game. i work hard for my cash. $55 is steep.

Rantis said:
anyone find a good online price? eb wants $55. that would be the most i ever paid for a game. i work hard for my cash. $55 is steep.

Why not just get it from Steam? It's $49.95 there.

So far its been worth the wait for me...best game I have played all year.

I went to bed early so I could get up and play it. Woke up at 2:00 started playing it and didn't stop til 4:30 when I made myself go to sleep so I wasn't a bear at work this morning. Absolutely incredible. I'm still annoyed at the long wait, but it was worth it.

Stiler,

I just got mine from Sam's Club for 44 bucks. Not too bad.

Anyone else pissed off as all hell that I have to goddamn reconfigure my router to get Steam to work just to play a goddamn game?

WTF!

Very much worth the wait.
IMHO, plays better and looks better than Doom 3, especially on my 512mb RAM, 1900+, 9700 system... I get MUCH more milage from my components with HL2.

Rantis said:
If you've got a nice connection go with steam. There's no tax, so it'll be $50 even. I went with the silver though, I think it'll be pretty neat to play through HL1 in the new engine.

BOO--YEAH!!! went to go and buy the regular cd version, but hes like we have this one dvd collectors one, which includes the guide, dvd, shirt etc, so i got that one, installing as we speak. lol, as i just purchased a lady asked for it, and hes like i sold it already
hahaha
yahhh rock on valve :D

Sooooo worth the wait. I played this game for an hour last night and was blown away. Doom3, Halo2 are both great but this game is fantastic. Amazing visuals, amazing physics, I don't want to sound like a sales man, it is so good. I can not wait to play again tonight. If you don't play this game there is something wrong with you.

Oh and on my 6800gt I am playing at 1600x1200 everything on high with ani8x and anti2x. Smooth as butter.

Fvcking great stuff man. I bought gold off steam, i hope they let me upgrade to silver and not charge me more than $10. HL: source and dod: source might be popping.

Just picked up a CD based copy, and I'm installing it RIGHT NOW on my game rig. tic tic tic....

eb wants $55. that would be the most i ever paid for a game. i work hard for my cash. $55 is steep.

Well, yeah, but this is no mere GAME. This is possibly the biggest video game release of all time. Come on, just go buy it, all the cool kids already have it. ;)

Anyone else pissed off as all hell that I have to goddamn reconfigure my router to get Steam to work just to play a goddamn game?

Well, doesn't really piss me off, but this is a growing problem. Blizzard is using Bitorrent technology for all of thier distributions...
Great for techie people like us, but a nightmare for the general public. What, do the game manufacturers WANT to provide defacto tech support for thier customers' routers? Seriously, most people never bother to change ANY of the settings on thier HAN routers.

ds- said:
I woke up this morning, got it activated, started it up, and played with the options and settings! It was exciting :D

Then I got ready to go to work :(

LOL Ah man that sucks. I have to study for a big psychology test tomorrow, and unfortunately, I'm one of the fortunate ones that knows how to prioritize.

It feels like driving a Dodge Viper in a residential zone, to have fun is so tempting but you obviously cannot.

133 said:
Yes it was worth the wait

best game i ever played

Hell ya!!

PS: Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodlines uses the Source engine is made by Troika and kicks so much ass!!!! God I love it!!!

:D :D

i got HL2 with those ATI coupons.
And the game was entirely worth the wait. its not a short game, and the music and stuff really makes it fun.

when i got doom3, i thaught it would be great, but the singleplayer really disapointed me. in the begining its interesting, after an hour you get the hang of it and become some sort of god, and after a while you just start fealing you're waisting your time. plus the darkness becomes boring.

none of that in HL2. you get gorgeous colors, the water is superb, the physics are great, the action isnt repetitive, and i really like the bunnyhop :D

I picked mine up today on my lunch break, and took over an hour just installing and registering it! I ended up only being able to play for about 10 minutes before I decided to go back to work.
And now it's almost 5.... so close to playing it for the rest of the night. I envy my roommate who got off work at 3. Damn him! I bought it!

My current machine doesn't have the horsepower to run it, and I've just found out my debit card fails security checks because I haven't yet told my bank I moved house. Can I just phone up and tell them I've moved? Yes. Will they let me? No. :mad: I have to visit the branch and fill in some crappy forms. Wouldn't normally be a problem, but my bank is in my home town...work is 45 miles away :(

No Athlon64 3K+ or HL2 for TWO Saturdays! Still, I suppose I can get really drunk and pretend HL1 is HL2 through beer goggles. :rolleyes:

And the damn newegg banner at the top there taunting me with "Revolutionary Visuals"... and "Groundbreaking Physics"... Be gone!

Anyone know how it runs on an Thunderbird o/c'd to 1.5GHz with a GF3Ti200? :rolleyes:

Hi

I think the game is great - the ingame objects handle just like you expect (unlike in CS:S!?).
Only 2 nitpicks I have is:
I have to keep the DVD in my drive all the time otherwise I cant startup HL2 or CS:S!? I hate to listen to my turboengine DVD-ROM drive all the time.(I have reported this as a bug! - I bought the gdamn game - leave me alone Valve).
The other one is I cannot start/restart my computer with the DVD in the drive, Windows will hang until I manually(pressing the button ;)) eject the CD, then proceed to load just fine when the CD is out!?(Also reported this as a bug, just seems weird on my default install of WinXP SP2 all updated:()

But besides thoose to - It's amazing how smooth it runs compared to how good it looks(HALO developers learn something here! ;) ), and the story so far is good and so goes for the puzzles(yes there's plenty :)) only played 6 hours(straight) so far

EinsteiN said:
Hi

I think the game is great - the ingame objects handle just like you expect (unlike in CS:S!?).
Only 2 nitpicks I have is:
I have to keep the DVD in my drive all the time otherwise I cant startup HL2 or CS:S!? I hate to listen to my turboengine DVD-ROM drive all the time.(I have reported this as a bug! - I bought the gdamn game - leave me alone Valve).
The other one is I cannot start/restart my computer with the DVD in the drive, Windows will hang until I manually(pressing the button ;)) eject the CD, then proceed to load just fine when the CD is out!?(Also reported this as a bug, just seems weird on my default install of WinXP SP2 all updated:()

But besides thoose to - It's amazing how smooth it runs compared to how good it looks(HALO developers learn something here! ;) ), and the story so far is good and so goes for the puzzles(yes there's plenty :)) only played 6 hours(straight) so far
So basically, if you had purchased it through Steam and just backed up the files using the built in backup, you would have no gripes with it. :x

So basically, if you had purchased it through Steam and just backed up the files using the built in backup, you would have no gripes with it. :x

I couldn't buy it over Steam since I have no international creditcard...(should they put it back on the box like the required internet connection?;)).
And besides I don't trust their application to handle my creditcard info even if I had one...
But I see your point(Not having a DVD burner would make for a hefty stack of cd's but nevermind, done is done :))
Now that I think about it, it's probably Vivendi that has required the lame CD-check on the games... (It's usually the distributor AFAIK that make the developer put it on)

Gonna go look on the web for a you know what so I can leave the DVD in its cover on the shelf... ;)

the whole raven town is like a miny doom3...

it seems like valve has actually done a better job in their engin then ID, since it seems like HL2 is more playable on a geforce 6800u then doom3 on an x800xt pe.

plus HL2 is very playable on a 9800pro which is great !!! (which is not really the case of doom3).

the source engin seems to be very fast, and it looks really really good, at LEAST as good as doom3, i beleive HL2 looks better...

DigitalisAkujin said:
Halo 2 and Doom 3 have nothing on Half-Life 2. Rock on Valve!

Gabe promised and delivered.

Hehe, from September 2003 to yesterday, it was "Gabe is a big fat loser", now Gabe is the man ;)

On graphical thing that upsets me is the stupid '2D grass' that rotates so it is always facing you. Now I know it could be a framerate killer if they made it 3D but it looks so retarded and obvious when the grass rotates.

I'm a graphics perfectionist, dont mind me.

LyCoS said:
the whole raven town is like a miny doom3...

it seems like valve has actually done a better job in their engin then ID, since it seems like HL2 is more playable on a geforce 6800u then doom3 on an x800xt pe.

plus HL2 is very playable on a 9800pro which is great !!! (which is not really the case of doom3).

the source engin seems to be very fast, and it looks really really good, at LEAST as good as doom3, i beleive HL2 looks better...

doom3 is very playable on a 9800 pro, as long as your not stupid enough to turn AA / AF on it runs fine, maybe you have some bad drivers or something...

133 said:
Yes it was worth the wait

Frankly I will NOT be purchasing Half-Life 2 and I know I'm going to get flack for this statement.

I find it DEPLORABLE that it's required to have an internet connection to activate a freaking single player game for pete's sake and I will NOT reward a company for forcing this piss poor method of software protection on consumers.

I'm not some damn pirate and I'll spend my $56 plus 6% CT sales tax on something else.

ColinR said:
My current machine doesn't have the horsepower to run it, and I've just found out my debit card fails security checks because I haven't yet told my bank I moved house. Can I just phone up and tell them I've moved? Yes. Will they let me? No. :mad: I have to visit the branch and fill in some crappy forms. Wouldn't normally be a problem, but my bank is in my home town...work is 45 miles away :(

No Athlon64 3K+ or HL2 for TWO Saturdays! Still, I suppose I can get really drunk and pretend HL1 is HL2 through beer goggles. :rolleyes:

And the damn newegg banner at the top there taunting me with "Revolutionary Visuals"... and "Groundbreaking Physics"... Be gone!

Anyone know how it runs on an Thunderbird o/c'd to 1.5GHz with a GF3Ti200? :rolleyes:
I used to have a system with those exact specs!

Fabulous game, Dissapointing Ending.

Once again, the ending could have been so much better....But I guess that's the way it's always been with FPS.

:(

Great getting there though!

:D

I'm playing it with my old GF4 Ti4200 at 1024x768 high detail no problem,
I love it.

gdonovan said:
Frankly I will NOT be purchasing Half-Life 2 and I know I'm going to get flack for this statement.

I find it DEPLORABLE that it's required to have an internet connection to activate a freaking single player game for pete's sake and I will NOT reward a company for forcing this piss poor method of software protection on consumers.

I'm not some damn pirate and I'll spend my $56 plus 6% CT sales tax on something else.

Chill man, Steam is very convenient... join the 21st century and get an internet connection. Using your scanning powers to post to the forum with your mind is a waste of your powers, plus the nosebleeds!

Back