Hack hotel wifi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick0502

Supreme [H]ardness
So I am in a hotel right now and I want free Internet!!

This is what I am looking at. The room has its own modem and router (netgear). I reset the router to set everything back to default. I am able to connect to the router and log into it. When I go to access the Internet it goes to a page to pay.

Any way around this? I changed the config on the router to static and used googles dns but that didn't work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Really? So you're messing with another companies hardware to benefit yourself?

You cannot get around it because its not the router pushing that Pay Page to you.

Either pay for it, or tether.

edit: How does each room have its own modem and router? That makes no sense at all.......like.....at all....

Id suggest going to the pay to play page and enter your payment info....Should work....lol

edit: How does each room have its own modem and router? That makes no sense at all.......like.....at all....

Typical VDSL setup. However the use of a Netgear isn't typical.

OP.
What hotel are you at?

Theft of service and tampering with hotel equipment is likely less hassle than just paying.
It sucks but they got you by the short hairs.

Typical VDSL setup. However the use of a Netgear isn't typical.

OP.
What hotel are you at?

Agreed however, I would assume they would not have hardware sitting around like that.

I used to work for Comcast as a tech and did many Hotel installs. All that you see from any Comcast provided Hotel internet is either full on wireless, or a RJ45 jack.

You'd think they would still hook it to a switch or router etc etc and just have keystones in each room.

Just go and pay $40/mon for Clear or Celluar 4g wireless and get a nice little 3/4g to wifi portable router. Fixed! Probably faster than most hotel connections, secure, and you wont go to jail.

We shouldn't be talking about doing illegal activities on the forum. ;) Ok now that I got that cover this is exactly what you need to do! :D reach in your pocket pull out a credit card and save yourself some aggravtion !

FYI - stealing wifi is a third degree felony in many areas. And posting about !@#$ like that isn't allowed here.

Besides - there are much better places than here to talk about wifi security...

I'm going to chalk this thread up as some late night humor and the OP being completely obliterated from Mai Tai's and Pina Colada's in an effort for you to save grace so we can all forget that this was a serious question.

At the hotel I work for, all of the of the RJ45 jacks in the rooms and business center are fed by three 48port switches, and the wireless access points are fed by an 8port switch. Those switches are then connected to a gateway that handles guest authentication. The only way around it would be to call our provider and request that they whitelist the devices MAC address (we don't even have access to the gateway configuration). The only non-authenticated connections are in the front desk and back office areas through a switch placed between the site's router and the guest gateway.

So theoretically, if you could get the access to the networking room, figure out which cable feeds your room and move it to the non-authenticated side of the network, you'd have free internet. But good luck with that.

what kind of bullshit hotel makes you pay for internet in this day and age?

lame

Theft of service and tampering with hotel equipment is likely less hassle than just paying.

Well, if it's less hassle, then he asked the completely correct question.

OP: Try to reach an endpoint on the Internet that you control. You need to temporarily access that endpoint using 3G or something else. See if you can get out via 443/tcp, 53/udp, icmp, etc. If it works, run an OpenVPN endpoint on that port or run an IP-over-ICMP tunnel. If it fails, see if they forward DNS requests blindly, i.e. use a DNS server of yours on the outside and lookup a name that it hosts. If the request makes it to your server, you can run dns2tcp or iodined to tunnel IP over DNS.

If it's setup properly it wont be relying on DNS though.

All pay-for-Internet services I've seen so far query the name you want to reach and then redirect your 80/tcp to their portal. They don't allow generic 53/udp traffic nor do they allow you to query random DNS servers. Instead, their DNS server happily forwards every query you make, which you can use to build an IP-over-DNS tunnel.

Odd they would leave the equipment out in the open. From what I've seen though hotels usually leave the wifi wide open, BUT they have a captive portal, that's where you have to authenticate and pay. For what it's worth, try changing your DNS to see what happens. If it's setup properly it wont be relying on DNS though.

How much money do they want anyway? It's probably less hassle to just pay. With how expensive hotel rooms are to begin with, it's crazy they'd want you to pay though... Hotels are gold mines when you think about it. It's almost pure profit. Sure there's running costs but definitely not 100+ bucks per day, per room.

Don't think those running costs don't take a large chunk out of the revenue. Then the room rate might be $100/night, but RevPAR might only be $20-30/night for half the year.

Asking how to access networks that you don't have permission to be on is not allowed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back