H.265 AMD VCE Video Codec With Handbrake or other software

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
Is there any visual difference between regular H.265 and AMD VCE? I used to use bdrebuilder back in the day to shrink bd movies but have been trying out handbrake.....The AMD codec seems a million times faster and puts the gpu to actual use, so is there any reason not to use it?

I've found that VCE output is slightly inferior to x265 and the file size is slightly bigger. Nvenc (Nvidia's alternative) seems to be marginally better in that respect and has come forward in leaps and bounds over the last few years.

I've found that VCE output is slightly inferior to x265 and the file size is slightly bigger. Nvenc (Nvidia's alternative) seems to be marginally better in that respect and has come forward in leaps and bounds over the last few years.
Im kinda wondering if i need a decent 4k display to see the difference? maybe its just to hard to see on a 1080p display? which amd card did you use the few times you tried?

I used a Vega 56. My display at the time was a 1440p cheap Korean special.

I used a Vega 56. My display at the time was a 1440p cheap Korean special.
Not normally picky about the use of cheap but this could perhaps be one of the times inexpensive should be used. Some of those Korean knock of panels were pretty decent quality. Mine certainly wasn’t bad....the actual bezel and stand though...yikes. Definitely cheap.

Not normally picky about the use of cheap but this could perhaps be one of the times inexpensive should be used. Some of those Korean knock of panels were pretty decent quality. Mine certainly wasn’t bad....the actual bezel and stand though...yikes. Definitely cheap.

Pretty much this. the stand is woeful, but the screen is ok.

Back