GTX680 SLI breaks hdmi audio?

CrazyRob

[H]ard|Gawd
Since launch, I've been running a single GTX 680 card to run my 3 Acer LCD's in surround mode (2 off DVI, and the third off a DVI to display port adapter). Additionally, I've been using the peripheral display feature, running HDMI out to my Yamaha RX-V3800. Doing so creates a secondary display output that I don't use for anything other than audio (although I have temporarily connected a tv to the receiver for troubleshooting). This configuration worked great, and passed through 7.1 PCM and supported bitstreaming as well.

I just got my second GTX 680 and have found that enabling SLI disables the audio output over the HDMI port. You can still configure it like normal, but no sound is produced. The receiver indicates that it recognizes an HDMI signal, but only a stereo signal regardless of configuration.

I have tried every combination of ports I can think of (swapping between the HDMI ports on the two cards, as well as moving the third DVI connection between the primary and secondary card). It will work if I disable SLI, but have all displays enabled, but I get nothing if SLI is enabled.

To isolate other software issues, I've just performed a fresh Installation of Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and I have tested with both official driver releases for TX680's (301.10 and 301.42) Anyone have any thoughts or solutions?

Have you tried changing settings in Nvidia Control Panel -> Set up digital audio?

I fell kind of silly, because I didn't even realize Nvidia added that to their control panel. However, adjusting it makes no difference, still no audio signal out the HDMI port :( And of course I made sure the HDMI was set as default in Windows sound settings...

Make sure you've actually selected the right audio device, the windows control panel will show several that are not necessarily connected to anything. You can right click to hide them.

Last edited:
You can also just try disabling the audio that you're not actually using in Device Manager, because there will be an audio device installed for each card.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious which HDMI device is the right one. I already have it selected as the default.

I just set the HDMI audio device to default and it works, it even swicthes audio device automatically when I switch displays.

Bump,
I am running into this issue myself.

I'm trying to run surround with 2 GTX 670's in SLI and get HDMI audio. HDMI audio normally works fine, but in surround mode it no longer works. It shows its connected and working, but I get no audio.

My configuration is basically like this:

GTX680-ConnectorDiagram-2WaySLI-2DSurround-AltOption2.png

Card 1: DVI 1, DP, HDMI for Audio/Accessory
Card 2: DVI 1
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/how-to-correctly-configure-geforce-gtx-680-surround#3

I have the same problem. HDMI out sound works then as soon as I engage SLI span screens surround mode it stops. I go around and check all setting and nothing. Please I need this fixed.

I solved it by buying a gtx 660 to go with the 3 gtx titans. I use the 660 for physx and hdmi audio out.

Nvidia never responded to my support ticket. Oddly enough, with 3 680's, it works once, but stops after your first reboot. Tested in both Windows 7 and 8.

I also have a yamaha reciever, I have DVI-D to screen and HDMI to reciever.

you SOME TIMES need to unplug the hdmi and re plug it and it will give you audio, happens to me.

hopefully this helps!

OK guys, I had a similar issue and solved that by following hatlesschimp's idea. This now creates another issue.

Pertinent system specs:
Z87, GTX 680, GTX 650 TI (dedicated to physx and hdmi audio), windows 8 (de-metro'd, etc)

Connected to the GTX 680 is 3 HP ZR24w, using two DVI and 1 DPort.
Connected to the GTX 650 is HDMI to an ONKYO receiver and no display.

Background on how I got here:
I could not use the 3 monitors with DVI, DVI and HDMI since the resolution is 1200 on the vertical and my receiver only runs 1080. This forced me to use the HDMI for audio only to the receiver and other ports for video only. This posed a few problems. As most know, if you have any display that is not part of the NV Surround array, it will be shut down once NV surround is activated. This obviously wont work since, if a HDMI display is shut down, the audio is also shut down. There is also the problem of having a 4th display with no monitor attached. If anyone has messed with that before, you know the pains of having windows switch that to the primary display and having applications start up in the monitor with no display attached.

During this setup, I was able to use the win key + P to change between NV surround and regular desktop mode.

Fast forward to the current setup with the 650 dedicated for PhysX and HDMI audio:
Now, I am able to get audio out via HDMI while in NV Surround mode. My problem is that I can not switch between NV Surround and regular extend desktop mode. Windows gets confused with the second display adapter in the PC and Winkey + P just plain does not work. This forces me to go into the NV Control panel and enable and disable NV Surround every time I play a game. That is a very painful process. Does anyone have any tricks to make that switch easier?

I am so tempted to ditch all this shit and just buy a HDMI sound card and source the HDMI input with a cheap ass dvd player for a video blanking signal. Do the ATI guys have this much heart burn trying to get their shit to work?

Are you only using 1 GTX 680 though? There shouldn't be an issue.

With one GTX 670 I have no issues using DVI, DVI, DP, HDMI to receiver. When switching to surround mode extra monitors (HDMI in this case) are initially disabled, but you can just add it back as a accessory display to get sound working. My receiver seems to work fine even without a display connected.

You might as well buy an HDMI sound card though if you are going to buy a GTX 650 for sound.

F88fl9h.png

Last edited:
Humm.... I could not get that to work at all. Even after it was shut down, it would not start back up with the displays spanned. Need to try again.

Yah, I agree about the sound card. I got the GTX650 strictly as a test to see if it would work. If it didnt, then it becomes a part of the HTPC.

The issue only comes when you are using a 4th output not part of the surround span. This is not a hdmi audio issue while using surround.

Can you easily switch between extended desktop (IE non surround) and surround desktop without windows getting confused? I have not figured it out yet.

Traveling right now for work. I plan to test the suggestions outlined above when I get home this weekend. Thanks for the assistance.

Back