GTX 750 Ti Blows Me Away

sk3tch

2[H]4U
I've gotta say - as someone who solely games with high-end cards - the GTX 750 Ti has impressed me quite a bit. I picked one up used for a steal of a price and intended to do some PhysX testing with it...but I've been running BF4 MP in Spectate mode (you can test the same gameplay experience that way) side-by-site with a box with a GTX 980 (same monitors: BenQ XL2420TX and XL2420T - only difference is one has a 3D emitter and one does not - both 1080p/120Hz) and it's really not this drastic drop in quality. Sure - it's significant but it's very playable and looks great. DSR on the 980 is definitely pushing the PQ up a notch, but still...at around $100 or so the 750 Ti is no slouch!!

Specs:
i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz / 750 Ti

(click to enlarge)

vs.

i7 4930K @ 4.5 Ghz / 980

(click to enlarge)

1080p/120Hz - both run around 60 FPS

Both optimized with GeForce Experience.

Last edited:
"Low" quality in bf4 looks pretty decent imo

Is the 750ti pulling 120+ fps though? (or can it , if you set everything on Low granted GFE didn't do it already?)

"Low" quality in bf4 looks pretty decent imo

Is the 750ti pulling 120+ fps though? (or can it , if you set everything on Low granted GFE didn't do it already?)

I have updated the OP to make it more clear. Good points. Both are at around 60 FPS (as I think that's what GeForce Experience guns for) and surprisingly BF4 is not all Low on the 750 Ti. I've updated the OP with images of the GeForce Experience settings.

Mind you - the 980 is obviously pushing way more pixels. It's just amazing to me just how good the 750 Ti looks for the money and how smooth the gameplay is at 1080p.

Yeah, I got a 750ti when I built my sig rig, since I was waiting for the 980 to come out. It was surprisingly capable for the price it's selling for.

Very nice card, it stands between a 480 and 580. No small feat

Isn't the 750ti just a smidge weaker than the 660ti? The game was more than playable when I had that card, I just had to turn a few sliders down, still looked amazing.

Isn't the 750ti just a smidge weaker than the 660ti? The game was more than playable when I had that card, I just had to turn a few sliders down, still looked amazing.
Um the 660 ti blows the 750 ti away. Overall the 750 ti is not even as fast as the 650 Ti boost. The only thing impressive to me about it is the performance you get for the power consumption. If power consumption is not a concern then AMD has much faster cards for the same amount of money.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_750_Ti/25.html

Um the 660 ti blows the 750 ti away. Overall the 750 ti is not even as fast as the 650 Ti boost. The only thing impressive to me about it is the performance you get for the power consumption. If power consumption is not a concern then AMD has much faster cards for the same amount of money.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_750_Ti/25.html

That is another impressive feat. The 750 Ti that I have doesn't even have a power connector - all PCI-E powered. And yeah, between GTX 480 and 580 capability in that small package. Wow.

I am actually selling off my R9 290X Lightning that was in the box prior to the GTX 750 Ti (getting another GTX 980 SC). The AMD stuff feels so last gen to what NVIDIA is rocking right now. Let's hope the 390X rights the ship.

it's really not this drastic drop in quality. Sure - it's significant

Contradiction much? It's a efficient design, and a good value under a hundred bucks. But it's not going to take over the mid or high end market with the current competition.

Contradiction much? It's a efficient design, and a good value under a hundred bucks. But it's not going to take over the mid or high end market with the current competition.

Never claimed that. Not sure if you read my post or just pointed out that (correct) usage of terms.

Significant does not necessarily mean a lot. It just means that the difference is substantial enough to call it a difference - noteworthy.

Don't worry, I still see value in the mid- and high-end. Just saying I was pleasantly surprised by how well you can game on a GPU that's around $100. That is all.

That is another impressive feat. The 750 Ti that I have doesn't even have a power connector - all PCI-E powered. And yeah, between GTX 480 and 580 capability in that small package. Wow.

I am actually selling off my R9 290X Lightning that was in the box prior to the GTX 750 Ti (getting another GTX 980 SC). The AMD stuff feels so last gen to what NVIDIA is rocking right now. Let's hope the 390X rights the ship.
Overall it is not between 480 and 580 though. Again its slower than the 650 Ti boost overall which itself is only on par with 480.

Overall it is not between 480 and 580 though. Again its slower than the 650 Ti boost overall which itself is only on par with 480.

Based on your one set of graphs from around one year ago, yes. Not that it really matters. Call it GTX 480 speeds then. I'm still impressed that the low end gets to play with this quality. Not to shabby at all.

Got an ASUS DC2 version with 2GB for $110 last autumn. I have to agree (I think the tech community, by and large, does) that it's great for how little power it consumes. It's in my mITX sig rig, which is half composed of parts i had lying around. Such as the power supply, with its cutting edge ~300W rating. The entire system, last I measured under load, pulled no more than 150W.

I just walked into Microcenter and they have it for $129.99 after a rebate, the EVGA version. Is it a bad idea to pair it up with an old CPU like a q9550 not overclocked?

I just walked into Microcenter and they have it for $129.99 after a rebate, the EVGA version. Is it a bad idea to pair it up with an old CPU like a q9550 not overclocked?
Why would it be a bad idea? In most cases, the 750 ti will be the limitation anyway unless you are playing at 1280x720.

Back