GTX 580 Peeves

Daleon

Limp Gawd
Put a 580 GTX in my home machine about two weeks ago which was running a 5870 connected to my 42". The 5870 and the 5850 before were always connected via hdmi. Now with the AMD cards this was just hdmi right into the card but now I have to have this extra cable because NV can't put a full size HDMI interface on their boards? WTF cheap bastages, $525 card.... grumble... Ok video working, screen not quite fitting right so go in to setup the screen as usual... it sees the proper screen, its set to 1080p, I use the adjustments and now I have a resolution of 1824x1026... hmmm ok. I guess this is more accurate but I've never seen this before with the AMD cards, or my 260 GTX, 8800 GTX, etc back when I had them on my 37" LCD but whatever. I open a game, and resolution is all blah. I go in to set it to
1080p but that looks wrong, so I have to set them to the 1824x1026 now to. I go into another and its the same thing. Obviously there are some overscan issues in my setup but clearly AMD handled it better because all I ever had to do was set it up in Windows once and then every game looked fine set to 1080p... so only slightly annoying.

Next peeve... I also have a 24" HP ZR24w I use with my work machine that works great with the 5870 because the 5870 has guess what, a display port. I went to a lan last weekend and knowing the cheap NV guys didn't give me a display port I picked up a Display port to HDMI cable figuring that should work. Well it didn't. I don't know if it was the hdmi to mini-hdmi adapter or just the 580 GTX mini-hdmi port can't talk display port but the two clearly don't get alone. Thankfully someone had a dvi to hdmi cable that did the trick. Had I the 5870 in my home machine I would never have had any of these issues but I had been AMD for a while and the 580 is definitely a nice performer. I just think its outputs are way to limited and out of date for a brand new top of the line card. When AMD had dual dvi, full hdmi, and display port on their last gen and all we get with NV is dual dvi (which who the hell needs these days really on a high end card) and a mini-hdmi? UGH...

/rant off

How is the TV set up? Is it set to 1:1 or Dot by Dot or whatever your TV calls it? 1824x1026 doesn't sound right at all - should be straight up 1920x1080. I had no problem hooking my 480 up to my TV, detected 1080p and worked perfectly right off the bat (that was DVI-HDMI, but still).

You knew what ports the card had before you bought it. Why are you complaining about stuff you should have already known before you spent 500 bucks. Also, my GTX 580 is connected to a 1080p set as well. Never had any problems you are describing. 1:1 pixel mapping on the TV, plugged via HDMI to DVI cable.

Put a 580 GTX in my home machine about two weeks ago which was running a 5870 connected to my 42". The 5870 and the 5850 before were always connected via hdmi. Now with the AMD cards this was just hdmi right into the card but now I have to have this extra cable because NV can't put a full size HDMI interface on their boards? WTF cheap bastages, $525 card.... grumble... Ok video working, screen not quite fitting right so go in to setup the screen as usual... it sees the proper screen, its set to 1080p, I use the adjustments and now I have a resolution of 1824x1026... hmmm ok. I guess this is more accurate but I've never seen this before with the AMD cards, or my 260 GTX, 8800 GTX, etc back when I had them on my 37" LCD but whatever. I open a game, and resolution is all blah. I go in to set it to
1080p but that looks wrong, so I have to set them to the 1824x1026 now to. I go into another and its the same thing. Obviously there are some overscan issues in my setup but clearly AMD handled it better because all I ever had to do was set it up in Windows once and then every game looked fine set to 1080p... so only slightly annoying.

Next peeve... I also have a 24" HP ZR24w I use with my work machine that works great with the 5870 because the 5870 has guess what, a display port. I went to a lan last weekend and knowing the cheap NV guys didn't give me a display port I picked up a Display port to HDMI cable figuring that should work. Well it didn't. I don't know if it was the hdmi to mini-hdmi adapter or just the 580 GTX mini-hdmi port can't talk display port but the two clearly don't get alone. Thankfully someone had a dvi to hdmi cable that did the trick. Had I the 5870 in my home machine I would never have had any of these issues but I had been AMD for a while and the 580 is definitely a nice performer. I just think its outputs are way to limited and out of date for a brand new top of the line card. When AMD had dual dvi, full hdmi, and display port on their last gen and all we get with NV is dual dvi (which who the hell needs these days really on a high end card) and a mini-hdmi? UGH...

/rant off

I'm all DVI here. On my gaming rig I don't need or want HDMI or display port. My 3x30" panels didn't come with anything but DVI ports so that's all I use.

Some TVs have two options to help properly size the displayed image. Basically some sort of overscan correction. Might be buried in one of your TV's menu options.

How is the TV set up? Is it set to 1:1 or Dot by Dot or whatever your TV calls it? 1824x1026 doesn't sound right at all - should be straight up 1920x1080. I had no problem hooking my 480 up to my TV, detected 1080p and worked perfectly right off the bat (that was DVI-HDMI, but still).

Well at least someone has a useful reply. I didn't really think of going into the tv setup since the 5850 and 5870 previous never had any problems. I did find a HD display setting with options of 1 or 2 and setting it to 2 seems to have taken care of it. Thx.

As for the outputs and what I should have known before I bought it... probably but I haven't had NV in a while I just assumed they had been keeping up with the outputs. Sorry but its still a weak argument, for what they charge not to even have a display port output is pretty lame.

Yea the thing where you have to set the resolution to 1824x1026 or whatever sucks, there is an option on my TV called 'aspect' where I can change it from default full to fullnative, and it uses the proper 1920x1080p, unfortunately, I have to fiddle with this setting anytime the video mode changes (power off/on, standby, change from hdmi to other input, etc.) and it's four or five button presses to go from full to fullnative. ATI does do this better, but the way I understand it, ATI does it in a non-standard way, which may have stability or other consequences. Best thing to do, is not buy a TV where it is a pain in the ass to do straight 1920x1080p, such as this crappy JVC I have...

Some Fermi cards come with a Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable. You can get one from Monoprice.com

Back