Gtx 1080 black screen and spin up too fast

Red Nova

n00b
Greetings!, I have a gtx 1080 msi gaming that randomly stops giving signal and fans spin up very fast, gpu chip temperatures are fine, even I'd change the thermal paste and I got the same results, I opened it to check that all the component were fine and apparently I didn't see anything in bad shape, I cleaned it with spray and the problem remains, my dad studied electronics and he measured some components and he didn't see anything wrong, also I ran the Nvidia mods on it and the vram modules are ok according to this one, my power supply is a Thermaltake smartm850w, I've tested it with some other power supplies to check if that's the problem and no that's not the problem. Well I hope you guys can help me, thanks for reading me.

Last edited:
Does this generally happen when the card is hot? Like, you'll be playing a game, and it works fine for a while, and then seemingly at random, the screen goes black and the fan goes up to full speed?

Does this generally happen when the card is hot? Like, you'll be playing a game, and it works fine for a while, and then seemingly at random, the screen goes black and the fan goes up to full speed?
Nope, same thing happens being on idle as under load, sometimes it may take hours, maybe a whole day, but eventually the same thing happens, sometimes it happens as soon as I turn on my pc and also sometimes when I turn on the pc the board makes beeps, I guess that maybe the board detects that something's wrong with the graphic card. When the graphic card behaves this way, and my dad checks it, he has realized that there's not power reaching the gpu or the Vrams. All the power feed gets lost.

Can you take a photo of the card, and mark the locations your dad is measuring for voltage for the GPU and memory?

Also, can you post some photos of both sides of the board? The closer and clearer you can get, the better.

Can you take a photo of the card, and mark the locations your dad is measuring for voltage for the GPU and memory?

Also, can you post some photos of both sides of the board? The closer and clearer you can get, the better.
Ok, The card has been working for 4 almost 5 days with some daily crashes since I changed in Nvidia control panel, power management mode to maximum performance, this put the clocks always high apparently it is more stable this way I don't know, when it doesn't work anymore I will do that and post here some photos thanks.

Well ,the card still working, now it's stable, no more crashes, apparently it was power instability from pcie slot, look at everything I did.
1- I changed in Nvidia control panel, power management mode to maximum performance.
2- In advanced power settings I changed PCIE, Link State Power Management to off.
3- In advanced power settings also I changed Processor power management, Minimum processor state form 5% to more than 10%.

And that's it. Now my question is... I am new with nvidia high end cards, this is normal in some nvidia cards? te card still broken? or it's not compatible with power saver options?

Well ,the card still working, now it's stable, no more crashes, apparently it was power instability from pcie slot, look at everything I did.
1- I changed in Nvidia control panel, power management mode to maximum performance.
2- In advanced power settings I changed PCIE, Link State Power Management to off.
3- In advanced power settings also I changed Processor power management, Minimum processor state form 5% to more than 10%.

And that's it. Now my question is... I am new with nvidia high end cards, this is normal in some nvidia cards? te card still broken? or it's not compatible with power saver options?
No its not normal. I have two MSI 1080 Gaming X in machines I maintain (one is in my bonus daughters machine, another one is in the machine I am typing from now). Both cards have been shuffled between many motherboards and windows versions. Your issues have never occurred during the years I've had the cards.

If you suspect issues with ASPM, I would update bios, reset to default or optimized defaults in bios, make sure the motherboard drivers are updated in Windows and then see if the problem persists.

That said, keeping Link State power management to off is a good thing if you value performance over power saving. :)

Last edited:
Back