GTX 1070 Ti on 1700x vs 5600X - worth the upgrade?

reverenic

n00b
Hi,

I currently run an AMD R7 1700x with a GTX 1070 Ti. I mainly play 1440p (Warzone and other shooters mainly) because my monitor is 3440x1440 and FHD therefore looks very bad. 2560x1440 looks "ok".

My question is: Would I see remarkable increase in FPS in 1440p by just upgrading the CPU to 5600X? In other words - is it worth the money? I cannot afford a better GFX currently.

Thanks.

Use a program such as MSI Afterburner. Use the graph to monitor your GPU usage while you play a game.

GPU usage at 100% most or all of the time? Don't upgrade your CPU. You are GPU limited and will likely see little if any benefit from a CPU upgrade.

GPU usage less than 100% most or all of the time? Upgrade your CPU. Your GPU still has untapped potential and a faster CPU will help take advantage of that.

Use a program such as MSI Afterburner. Use the graph to monitor your GPU usage while you play a game.

GPU usage at 100% most or all of the time? Don't upgrade your CPU. You are GPU limited and will likely see little if any benefit from a CPU upgrade.

GPU usage less than 100% most or all of the time? Upgrade your CPU. Your GPU still has untapped potential and a faster CPU will help take advantage of that.
Thanks for the tip. The GPU runs at 95-98% while the CPU is at 50-60 so that tells me I might as well wait and save the money for a GPU first.

Back