GT 440 dedicated to PhysX?

runt

2[H]4U
Is a GT 440 powerful enough to be a dedicated PhysX card? I have one that I will be installing while I wait for my GTX770 to come back from RMA but if it will work for PhysX I'd like to keep it in my computer.

I was using an 8600gt in my system for borderlands 2 and it did just fine (1680*1050 with everything turned up). So I would say yes, it will work out just fine.

Last edited:
I don't think it requires much setup to have a PhysX card either, so you might as well use I.

Since I'm gaming on the GT 440 while I wait for my GTX 770 Advanced RMA email to come, it won't be any extra work to leave it in.

I was using an 8600gt in my system for borderlands 2 and it did just fine (1680*1050 with everything turned up). So I would say yes, it will work out just fine.
Sorry but there is NO way an 8600gt helped with physx as opposed to doing both on your gtx570. An 8600gt would be slower than having the 570 do both graphics and physx that is a fact. Even in games with no where near the effects as in BL 2, an 8600gt would only slow down a 570.

Borderlands 2 has a few spots that all the gpu power in the world is not going to keep framerates up with physx on high due to poor optimization. If you have a higher end gpu then I would not even bother getting a dedicated gpu for physx.

Sorry but there is NO way an 8600gt helped with physx as opposed to doing both on your gtx570. An 8600gt would be slower than having the 570 do both graphics and physx that is a fact. Even in games with no where near the effects as in BL 2, an 8600gt would only slow down a 570.

Borderlands 2 has a few spots that all the gpu power in the world is not going to keep framerates up with physx on high due to poor optimization. If you have a higher end gpu then I would not even bother getting a dedicated gpu for physx.

My framerate increased by about 10fps in most places when I put the 8600 in, I'm not saying that it wasn't running at 80-90% most of the time, but it did help, also for some reason borderlands would not do physx on my 570 even after I changed the settings in the nvidia control panel (werid software glitch?).

My framerate increased by about 10fps in most places when I put the 8600 in, I'm not saying that it wasn't running at 80-90% most of the time, but it did help, also for some reason borderlands would not do physx on my 570 even after I changed the settings in the nvidia control panel (werid software glitch?).

This is good stuff to note. even when it would seem theoretically impossible for it to work, ive seen stranger things. like the original halo playing at 30fps on a 300mhz pentium3.

This is good stuff to note. even when it would seem theoretically impossible for it to work, ive seen stranger things. like the original halo playing at 30fps on a 300mhz pentium3.
I dont believe what he is claiming. The 8600gt has been way too slow for physx for many years now. It would barely help the gtx275 and gtx280 and in many cases barely broke even with what those cards could do by themselves. I used the 8600gt for physx with my gtx260 and it helped a little but in some cases actually gave a lower minimum framerate. With a gtx570 there is zero chance it would help especially since physx has gotten more demanding and the 8600gt is not even sufficient any longer anyway.

Here you can see in Mafia 2 that the 8600gt is worse than the gtx480 doing both graphics and physx. The disparity would be even greater in newer games with more demanding physx effects. An 8600gt has not even come close to meeting minimum requirements for handling physx for several years now.

uploading pictures

Last edited:
I would love to redo this experiment but unfortunatly when I recently upgraded to a 7970 I gave the 570 to a friend, I may be able to get it back though I will see. Also just adding to this, as I was saying before, it may have been a software issue as the physix effects wouldn't even show up with the 570 selected as the physix card.

Back