GT 1030 overclocking

Good grief what a silly thread. I am going to head on over to the bicycle forums and see if I can make my 10" tricycle any faster...

Well, yeah you can overclock weaker cards and you will get a boost.
The way I see it's that a percentage boost won't make your choppy game non-choppy, and even a large increase in FPS in a less demanding game isn't worth the stability issues.

Some people go to extremes with the GT 1030.

dry ice gt 1030.jpeg

I started messing around with the EVGA GT 1030 I have while I wait for my Kingpin 3090 to arrive. I found this thread when searching for the availability of a BIOS for the GT 1030 with a power limit over 30 watts.

My EVGA GT 1030(the low profile model with a tiny fan) does +176 on the core and +1,000 on the VRAM. In some benchmarks it does run stable with +188 core. I thought about adapting a water block to it and maybe running chilled water to see if I could get any better results. However I ran into the 30 watt power limit with air cooling. So, I'm guessing that even with chilled water, I wouldn't get much higher benchmark scores out of it until I raise the power limit.

I found some people on another forum taking about using some software to modify the 30 watt power limit in the GT 1030 BIOS, but nobody saying if they were successful. Apparently, they claim to have modified the BIOS and raised the power limit other low end 10X0 series cards(the 1050, 1050 ti, and 1060) with the same software.

I also found someone on HWBOT doing volt mods to a GT 1030.
https://community.hwbot.org/topic/171990-my-vmod-experiences-with-galax-gt-1030/

After messing around with the card some more, I found overclocking the vcore has made the performance worse in some titles that stress the card 100%.

Overclocking the vcore mades the card go into the vRel performance cap mode more easily, and once you hit vRel it runs like a slideshow.

I only used RAM overclocking after that.

After messing around with the card some more, I found overclocking the vcore has made the performance worse in some titles that stress the card 100%.

Overclocking the vcore mades the card go into the vRel performance cap mode more easily, and once you hit vRel it runs like a slideshow.

I only used RAM overclocking after that.
That's most cards, though. They have built in overvoltage circuitry that will automatically throttle performance if it reaches a certain threshold. You have to find a balance in order to achieve max performance.

Back