GT 1030 overclocking

How it is that on other forums people are posting screenshots like this when asked same and here they just talk shit?

vMMzzuQ.jpg

kDEKSph.jpg

How it is that on other forums people are posting screenshots like this when asked same and here they just talk shit?

Because this is [H]....!!

tumblr_mvyj69kVop1rj2phto1_500.gif

If you not spending at least $200 on your graphics card, it's generally dismissed as entry-level nonsense :cool:

vMMzzuQ.jpg

kDEKSph.jpg
because here we know if you care about the performance of a 1030 at all, you've made a mistake. for not that much more, you can get a low-profile, slot-powered 1050 or RX460, both of which will provide an adequate (read:console-like) gaming experience.
1030's are for basic multimedia applications, unless you are an extreme cheapskate you lose nothing by getting a 1050. the power argument is largely facetious - an idling 1050 draws the same power as an idling 1030, and an underclocked 1050 will outperform a 1030 while consuming the same amount of power if you are really nuts about efficiency (wider core at lower frequency = improved efficiency)

Last edited:
Well, I have already said that 1050 argument isn't best in my case because here those cards ain't as cheap as on newegg while I know plenty of miners are just waiting for Vega/Volt real results and will be replacing their lower end cards(1060 etc) if satisfied.

This thread makes me want to overclock the shit out of my 1050Ti's memory so that I can check (%-wise) how much of an increase in performance it gets compared to my 1060, or better yet, my Titan X's.

Thanks op.

Well, I have already said that 1050 argument isn't best in my case because here those cards ain't as cheap as on newegg while I know plenty of miners are just waiting for Vega/Volt real results and will be replacing their lower end cards(1060 etc) if satisfied.
well then just wait a week for Vega
really there's not much to ask about 1030 overclocking, its a Pascal, so like any other Pascal should be good for around 1900-2000MHz boost

Yeah but in case of 1030 it's not few percent boost because of 64-bit limitation. Effectively in games faster memory should give much more because it's bottlenecking whole system. Synthetic benchmarks will never show it because they almost always made to max out system but games are just using certain size of textures or models and will never make card run at 100% efficiency.

Yeah but in case of 1030 it's not few percent boost because of 64-bit limitation. Effectively in games faster memory should give much more because it's bottlenecking whole system. Synthetic benchmarks will never show it because they almost always made to max out system but games are just using certain size of textures or models and will never make card run at 100% efficiency.
I'd really like to know where you are getting this from. Memory overclocking of video cards has never offered more performance then core speed.

The 1030 is about 35% slower then the 750ti, and no overclocking will make up for that.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2954/geforce-gt-1030

that's straight up not true; the GT1030 has comparable bandwidth per stream processor as the 1050Ti, and 1050Ti's don't magically become 30% faster when you overclock the memory.
I'm sure the 1030 can do 7GHz memory if you wanted, but the performance boost from that is going to be sub-10%

We've tried to explain it to you but you just don't listen.

You've come to [H]arvard University looking for answers to questions that might be thought of as relevant in a preschool, but still we answer them in a variety of sensible ways with our knowledge that you dismiss out of hand. I don't think the thought has ever crossed your mind that you're looking at the wrong solution. Cognitive dissonance is at work here folks.

By default GT 1030 boosts to over 1700 MHz. Okay, mine is factory overclocked passive version but still. At best you can gain about 10 % extra. Probably a bit more depending on how well the memory overclocks. As with every card you never know what VRAM they beforehand so your mileage may vary.

I'd really like to know where you are getting this from. Memory overclocking of video cards has never offered more performance then core speed.

Except in this case GT 1030 has 64-bit bus while GTX 1050 128-bit. And with such bandwidth limits this completely stripped Pascal core is still way ahead, waiting. GT 1030 GDDR5 should be exactly same as 1050 one so it should be easily possible to hit default 7000MHz or push it higher. I've read some online reviews where people claimed to easily hit over 8000MHz and even close to 9000MHz so I wanted to verify this.

Except in this case GT 1030 has 64-bit bus while GTX 1050 128-bit. And with such bandwidth limits this completely stripped Pascal core is still way ahead, waiting. GT 1030 GDDR5 should be exactly same as 1050 one so it should be easily possible to hit default 7000MHz or push it higher. I've read some online reviews where people claimed to easily hit over 8000MHz and even close to 9000MHz so I wanted to verify this.
the GT1030 has half the bus width, yes, but also half the CUDA cores

It's quite obvious that bottleneck is in 48GB/s bandwidth, 1050/Ti both use same 112GB/s and it's enough for everything those cards can compute.

It's quite obvious that bottleneck is in 48GB/s bandwidth, 1050/Ti both use same 112GB/s and it's enough for everything those cards can compute.
yes, the 112GB/s is sufficient, and the 48GB/s is pretty close to half that, so the 1030 should be fine. 1050/Ti's exhibit minimal gains from memory overclocking, so there's no reason to believe that aggressive RAM overclocks will boost 1030 performance. at best go bump the clocks to do 56GB/s, which any Pascal can do, and stop worrying
or just buy the damn card, because it is only $70 on sale and is a useful piece of hardware to have around for HTPC use or testing...

1050/Ti exhibit minimal gains from memory overclocking because they are simply not able to use more of it. Try running 4K+ resolutions on these cards and you will see how everything turns into slideshow because even with Pascal memory compression algorithm they won't be able to push all these textures ahead. And 48GB/s would be considered joke five years ago. My take is that at something like 75-80GB/s GT 1030 becomes faster than GTX 750Ti without touching core. But obviously there is no way to verify this. Perhaps it was the reason Nvidia deliberately decided to cut bandwidth from reference 128-bit to 64-bit.

Last edited:
Overclocking is a sport - so I overclock EVERYTHING for free performance, it doens't matter if it's just 1 or 2 FPS - everything counts.
I own GTX 1080Ti, GTX 1080, GTX 1060, GTX 1050, GT 710 and also now a GT 1030 that replaces the GT 710 in a small Emachines EL1352 slim pc. The GT 710 I had overclocked +315MHz on the core and +325MHz on the Vram - it resultet in an overall 7~8 FPS increase.
The GT 1030 I have overclocked +195MHz core and +380MHz Vram, max power limit (no voltage tweak) ~ effectively a 7 FPS increase in most games - it's exactly enough to bring a game from unplayable to playable.

These cards are only $70. I should buy one this weekend just to overclock the hell out of it and see how far it goes before it blows up/melts.

Thing is, the GT 1030 doesn't support direct streaming; in fact, has ANY GeForce GT ever supported it?. Also, has any GTX (Ti or not) NOT supported streaming since nVidia kicked the CPU requirement to the curb? They are quite fair questions - especially since the GT 1030 and GTX 1050 Ti can - literally in most cases - fit in the same PCs; the one advantage the GT 1030 has is price.

Thing is, the GT 1030 doesn't support direct streaming; in fact, has ANY GeForce GT ever supported it?. Also, has any GTX (Ti or not) NOT supported streaming since nVidia kicked the CPU requirement to the curb? They are quite fair questions - especially since the GT 1030 and GTX 1050 Ti can - literally in most cases - fit in the same PCs; the one advantage the GT 1030 has is price.

Also the 30watt power draw. In many small Form factor OEM machines, the motherboards though rated for 75watt through the pcie slot simply cannot power the gtx 1050 or rx460 cards and the systems don't boot. In such case a 30watt GFX will happily work.

Also the 30watt power draw. In many small Form factor OEM machines, the motherboards though rated for 75watt through the pcie slot simply cannot power the gtx 1050 or rx460 cards and the systems don't boot. In such case a 30watt GFX will happily work.

The GTX 1050Ti power draw is twice that (a mere 67 watts at worst for a no-extra-power version - such as my MSI GT OC, or EVGA's GTX 1050Ti SSC). Unless you explicitly need a low-profile version, either will in fact do. Thirty-seven watts is typically not going to be a PSU breaker, even at the low end, unless you are talking sub-200W PSUs - in which case that PSU needs upgrading - even with a GT 1030 in it. Also, aren't those same GT 1030s halved by comparison (not just in terms of bandwidth, but in terms of RAM loadouts)? Not to mention that some even short-shrift them by using DDR3 (as opposed to GDDR5)?

And in case you didn't notice, 67W is eight watts LESS than that 75W rating - hence my referring to the PSU in those same machines being a sore spot - even with a GT 1030. Therefore I wasn't trying to upsell when I referred to the sole GT 1030 advantage being price - back when the cryptomining craziness restarted this spring, I had, in fact, added the GT 1030 to the consideration matrix; however, it did way too little to warrant serious consideration compared merely to the GTX 1050 Ti - I would have been better off standing pat with the GTX 550Ti I was running at the time - which I in fact did for a month.

The GTX 1050Ti power draw is twice that (a mere 67 watts at worst for a no-extra-power version - such as my MSI GT OC, or EVGA's GTX 1050Ti SSC). Unless you explicitly need a low-profile version, either will in fact do. Thirty-seven watts is typically not going to be a PSU breaker, even at the low end, unless you are talking sub-200W PSUs - in which case that PSU needs upgrading - even with a GT 1030 in it. Also, aren't those same GT 1030s halved by comparison (not just in terms of bandwidth, but in terms of RAM loadouts)? Not to mention that some even short-shrift them by using DDR3 (as opposed to GDDR5)?

And in case you didn't notice, 67W is eight watts LESS than that 75W rating - hence my referring to the PSU in those same machines being a sore spot - even with a GT 1030. Therefore I wasn't trying to upsell when I referred to the sole GT 1030 advantage being price - back when the cryptomining craziness restarted this spring, I had, in fact, added the GT 1030 to the consideration matrix; however, it did way too little to warrant serious consideration compared merely to the GTX 1050 Ti - I would have been better off standing pat with the GTX 550Ti I was running at the time - which I in fact did for a month.

Totally agree.
I just pointed out that in some Oem machines from the likes of Dell, Acer, HP the motherboards themselves can't supply enough wattage for the likes of GTX 1050, GTX 1050Ti, GTX 750, not because of the psu used but purely the Oem motherboards not living up to specs. I've seen a couple of video on YouTube with the same issues. E.g I have an Emachines EL1352 slim pc with some kind of Oem Asus rebrand motherboard, and with a MSI gtx 1050ti low profile card and a 220watt psu the pc would crash in 3d applications. I tried with a 300watt seasonic but the system still would crash. I put the 220w fsp psu back in and used a GT 1030 instead and everything would run fine, even with extra oc on the gt 1030.

So in some small sff Oem PCs it can be a bit of an hassle.

To answer's OPs question. I currently have 2 GT1030, one from MSI and another from Palit, my MSI can reach a max boost of 1900Mhz(+160) core and 7200Mhz(+600) memory. :) will provide my Palit result later. :)

EDIT: I know that the cost to performance of this card is not as good as the 1050ti's but this card is really amazing for casual and esports games. could also run a lot of triple A titles at lower graphical settings. dunno what's the hate with this card

To answer's OPs question. I currently have 2 GT1030, one from MSI and another from Palit, my MSI can reach a max boost of 1900Mhz(+160) core and 7200Mhz(+600) memory. :) will provide my Palit result later. :)

EDIT: I know that the cost to performance of this card is not as good as the 1050ti's but this card is really amazing for casual and esports games. could also run a lot of triple A titles at lower graphical settings. dunno what's the hate with this card

Wow that's a pretty good memory overclock. My Gigabyte GT 1030 I tried overclocking to +600MHz on the Vram and it would run fine through 3Dmark Fire Strike, but in Unigine Heaven 4.0 I would get purple flickering stars appearing randomly in the benchmark.
So I had to back down the Vram overclock to +350MHz and then all is fine. The core clock however I run at +250MHz, and haven't tried higher :)

I don't hate it. I think having options is great, and as a father of a 9 year old, and the cool uncle that provides gaming equipment I love that finally there's a single slot low profile card that gets decent gaming results.

I will admit though I was pretty turned off by Hemla's few initial post. He sounded like an Askhole at first (A person who constantly ask for your advice, yet always does the opposite of what you told them!), but the thread is pure gold.

How high were you able to overclock your GT 1030s?

I am at 1773 mhz boost and 7000 mhz memory. I will try to push it further tomorrow.

GT 1030 overclocking more relevant than ever though.

"Just buy a 1050" isn't really an option right now.

The GT 1030 was junk when it came out new. Now, well, you might be better with integrated GPU.

Also, you can find GTX 1060s on ebay. Not the best prices, but I see some for under $200.

I bought the GT 1030 for my Phenom II a few years ago and planned on getting a proper GPU when I upgrade the entire PC. Last year I did that but you can no longer get GPUs.

Some people were saying the card will melt when you overclock it. I found there is no difference in temperature because the card has a hard 30W limit. I like the old-school look of the Gigabyte low profile version. It's similar to what GPUs used to look like before they became multi-fan, multi-heat pipe behemoths.

The performance impressive considering it's only 30W, but in a lot of modern games it simply doesn't cut it and I find myself constantly lowering the detail sliders. I ended up taking your advice and getting an ex-mining RX570.

I started messing around with the EVGA GT 1030 I have while I wait for my Kingpin 3090 to arrive. I found this thread when searching for the availability of a BIOS for the GT 1030 with a power limit over 30 watts.

My EVGA GT 1030(the low profile model with a tiny fan) does +176 on the core and +1,000 on the VRAM. In some benchmarks it does run stable with +188 core. I thought about adapting a water block to it and maybe running chilled water to see if I could get any better results. However I ran into the 30 watt power limit with air cooling. So, I'm guessing that even with chilled water, I wouldn't get much higher benchmark scores out of it until I raise the power limit.

I found some people on another forum taking about using some software to modify the 30 watt power limit in the GT 1030 BIOS, but nobody saying if they were successful. Apparently, they claim to have modified the BIOS and raised the power limit other low end 10X0 series cards(the 1050, 1050 ti, and 1060) with the same software.

I also found someone on HWBOT doing volt mods to a GT 1030.
https://community.hwbot.org/topic/171990-my-vmod-experiences-with-galax-gt-1030/

Last edited:
Back