green line artifacting with GTX 580

sirmonkey1985

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010
ok so i have a GTX 580 that originally came out of an SLI setup(was the second card) that a friend picked up. the card works perfectly fine when in SLI with my GTX 580 but when it's singled out and used as the primary GPU i get some weird green line artifacting mostly over black/darker colors but does not show up on white. also i can't install the drivers since doing so just causes windows to BSOD after the first reboot as it hits the windows loading loading screen.

so just out of curiosity i let windows restart with the updated drivers again and noticed during the BSOD all the lights on the front of my case started flickering like there was some kind of short this has never happened with any other BSOD i've had.

my theory is that it's the vram but i'd expect it to have problems in SLI if it was so i'm not entirely sure. just curious if anyone else has run into this problem with the GTX 580.

well shit screenshoting it doesn't work, so i guess my only option is a cell phone picture thats hard to see, sorry. it should look like this
Lk6Wyvs.jpg

zL6ICCg.jpg

Last edited:
I had a different green artifact with my EVGA GTX 580 that was widely known. the only thing that "fixed" it was forcing more voltage through an OC software.

I had a different green artifact with my EVGA GTX 580 that was widely known. the only thing that "fixed" it was forcing more voltage through an OC software.

yeah i saw that complaint a lot when i was trying to practice my google-fu but all the pictures i saw of that showed the green lines going across the entire screen. i wonder if maybe increasing the PCI-E voltage might help but if i remember correctly 1.5v on the PCI-E is standard.

Ahh...it took a bit of work, but the green "corruption" is not just random noise. There's a message hidden in there. Your 580 is begging you to put it down. It's in pain, and is sad that it can no longer let you game the way you should. It's eagerly looking forward to being permanently unplugged and going to the great recycle center in the sky. Stop being so selfish. Let it go....

:)

You try cleaning the dust out? Overheating maybe

that's what i originally thought when i first saw it but no it's completely clean.

Ahh...it took a bit of work, but the green "corruption" is not just random noise. There's a message hidden in there. Your 580 is begging you to put it down. It's in pain, and is sad that it can no longer let you game the way you should. It's eagerly looking forward to being permanently unplugged and going to the great recycle center in the sky. Stop being so selfish. Let it go....

:)

lol thats pretty much what i've been telling him but i figured i'd give it a shot to see if anyone else had seen the issue before. luckily the experiment was free.

Last edited:
Back