Grand Theft Auto V

Back on the PS3 a friend of mine and I grinded the motorcycle race around the prison.

It was tedious but it worked. It was just the two of us. I'd let him win and then he would let me win. Worked like a charm.

Well, I finished the main story last night and I don't think I've been as satisfied with an ending as I was with this one. When the credits started to roll to the beat of "The Setup", I just sat there feeling about as satisfied as I ever have at the end of a game. And speaking of credits, good God they took around 45 minutes to go through, though the psych evaluation after them was a riot to read and worth the wait.

Both sort of happy and sad at the same time, since now there's no more "story" to tell, but I've got plenty of side missions left to mess with since I got so wrapped up in the main story I skipped/missed a lot of them.

I wasn't really that invested in any of the characters at the start, but they all grew on me right up until the end, which made certain choices at the end kind of interesting.

Going to finish finding those 50 scraps tonight if I can and work on some side missions, then very likely start playing it all over again. :D

Best money I've spent on a game in some time, even without messing with the online stuff.

Sometimes it takes time for characters and storylines to sink in. At first I thought I hated GTA4, especially after the mammoth San Andreas. However after the fact I've gone back to it and think it might even be my favorite from the series in spite of its millions of flaws.
Right now I feel the same way about GTA5's characters and plot (I'm about halfway) but have a feeling that I'll grow to enjoy them more. I do wish there were more non-music radio stations, though. I think the goofy radio stations are what made GTA4 feel "alive." 5 only seems to have 2 and they're region-specific. TV channels, too. They aren't as fleshed out as GTA4's.

Sometimes it takes time for characters and storylines to sink in. At first I thought I hated GTA4, especially after the mammoth San Andreas. However after the fact I've gone back to it and think it might even be my favorite from the series in spite of its millions of flaws.
Right now I feel the same way about GTA5's characters and plot (I'm about halfway) but have a feeling that I'll grow to enjoy them more. I do wish there were more non-music radio stations, though. I think the goofy radio stations are what made GTA4 feel "alive." 5 only seems to have 2 and they're region-specific. TV channels, too. They aren't as fleshed out as GTA4's.

I think a lot of it for me had to do with the fact that the 3 characters played so well off each other when together that when they were on their own or with someone else it just didn't "click" as well for me. The best missions were the ones with all 3 of them together, by far.

I ended up turning the radio off a lot of the time. The mix just wasn't that good on any station and it seems like they really went for tons more unknown or "B-side" material than I remember in the older games. They list every song in the credits and most of them I was like "Who the hell is that?". Maybe I'm just showing my age though. :p

Despite a few small things though, its one of the best games I've played in years.

so, since some ppl cleared the game..
pad or k/m?
I read some enjoyed k/m with first point of view because it was different from the console, but this is the first run for me.

Uh-oh, I worry that Steam is in danger of going out of business due to your boycott.

What's the deal with that, just curious?

How? The ONLY reasons I could fathom the physical version being better is

a) if Steam goes out of business (unimaginable at this point, like Walmart going out of business. Even then, there's no reason why you'd have to lose access to your games.)
b) if for some reason you want to remain on an older patch version (this had some benefits with GTA IV; not sure about V)

I don't expect them to go out of business from my boycott but i don't see a problem if its against my principles to give them my money, it's not like im telling other ppl to not buy the steam version or that they are terrible human beings for using steam.

I just don't agree with valves business decisions in other games and how they implemented steam it's as simple as that.

Exactly how I play.

Yup yup.
Also, I dont know if it has to do with the free aim option, but online gives you less RP per mission, if you FINISH the mission on gamepad instead of keyboard and mouse. I'll switch back to K&M real quick if the mission ends while I'm flying or something, to get to full pay out, but other than that, I play with both K&M and gamepad for the same reasons you guys stated.

Yup yup.
Also, I dont know if it has to do with the free aim option, but online gives you less RP per mission, if you FINISH the mission on gamepad instead of keyboard and mouse. I'll switch back to K&M real quick if the mission ends while I'm flying or something, to get to full pay out, but other than that, I play with both K&M and gamepad for the same reasons you guys stated.

I just figured this out last night. I'd been at a loss as to why I'd get less RP than other people. It ended up being the aim assist penalty, and since you can't turn it off with a controller, you can get screwed. I was glad to realize that even just pressing a button on the KB or mouse before the mission ends seems to allow the full RP amount. I do most of my shooting with KB/m, but the majority of missions end with driving somewhere, so I've probably lost a level or two in RP penalties at this point due to driving with a controller.

I wish the game would have explained this somewhere. It actually took looking a few pages into a Google search to find anything about it. I think it's dumb to punish controller use in a game like this, where a good chunk of the game plays better with a controller. At the very least they should have the option to turn off aim assist with a controller.

I did a Heist with 3 strangers and it worked out well so we befriended each other for more. Today one of them was in the same free roaming session and we drove around in his Zentorno hunting other players for a bit.

After a while I noticed I wasn't taking any damage whatsoever when they shot back at us and when another player fired multiple rockets at us and nothing happened it was obvious, the guy I was driving with used some kind of hack. A few of the other players noticed it too and said in public chat they reported it.

I knew nothing about him being a cheater and left the car/session the moment I figured whats going on, not sure how R* will handle this I hope im not getting involved in case there will be a ban.

Anyone else encountered players that are not in passive mode and still not take any damage? I'm not sure if this is exclusive to the car, he never left it.

There was a guy in my free roam sesh the other day who was running around with 5-stars and eating hundreds of bullets from cops... Just standing there.

I was next to him in the street while he got hammered by about 100 different cops and he was talking to me just chilling. Obviously cheating...

Yep, posted my experience running into a blatant cheater with infinite health a few days ago. Sad thing is he didn't even attempt to hide the fact that he was cheating and he was almost level 200 so he's obviously been playing that character for a while and Rockstar doesn't care.

This was a nice cheat in free roam the other day: Some guy figured out how to do insta kills.

It was like being targeted at point blank range with a tank except there was nothing there. You spawned? Boom! Dead. Over and over again. I alt f4'd out of that one real quick.

There was a guy in my free roam sesh the other day who was running around with 5-stars and eating hundreds of bullets from cops... Just standing there.

I was next to him in the street while he got hammered by about 100 different cops and he was talking to me just chilling. Obviously cheating...

Yep, posted my experience running into a blatant cheater with infinite health a few days ago. Sad thing is he didn't even attempt to hide the fact that he was cheating and he was almost level 200 so he's obviously been playing that character for a while and Rockstar doesn't care.

Pretty sure thats the same cheat then that I encountered today. I didn't know you can make your vehicles invincible too and that it would affect all passengers. The guy from today was rank 160 so hes probably been doing this for weeks and got away with it.

Oh well GTA Online could be so much more but right now theres a lot of annoying things going on. I'm sometimes stuck on loading screens during missions or get kicked out to story mode or when on a mission everyone else gets disconnected and I try to solo finish it. Fantastic game with a horrible infrastructure for the online part.

It's a shame they simply didn't imitate their online infrastructure from Red Dead Redemption. That was awesome. Way better than this.

I just figured this out last night. I'd been at a loss as to why I'd get less RP than other people. It ended up being the aim assist penalty, and since you can't turn it off with a controller, you can get screwed. I was glad to realize that even just pressing a button on the KB or mouse before the mission ends seems to allow the full RP amount. I do most of my shooting with KB/m, but the majority of missions end with driving somewhere, so I've probably lost a level or two in RP penalties at this point due to driving with a controller.

I wish the game would have explained this somewhere. It actually took looking a few pages into a Google search to find anything about it. I think it's dumb to punish controller use in a game like this, where a good chunk of the game plays better with a controller. At the very least they should have the option to turn off aim assist with a controller.

Yeah it was pretty annoying. Couldn't find anything online about it. I went like 2 weeks wondering what the heck was happening, at first I thought it was because I bought armor before the mission, but that wasn't it. Then I figured it out in one mission, when it hit me that I wasn't driving when it ended and I got the full pay out. So now I just jam on the keyboard as soon as the mission ends so you get max RP. Gotta be quick though, I've missed it a few times not paying attention...

what does the number next to Michael, Trevor, and Franklin's names mean in the bottom right when you click left alt to change to a different character?

what does the number next to Michael, Trevor, and Franklin's names mean in the bottom right when you click left alt to change to a different character?

I think it's just telling you how many quests they each have at the moment.

I believe that is the number of missions that each character has available at that time.

I think this is equal parts funny and stupid. Having a swear filter at all seems a bit unnecessary in a title like GTA, but taking it so far as to censor words like virgin? There's not a person on the planet that would be playing GTA that would be offended seeing the word virgin pop up in their chat.

I think this is equal parts funny and stupid. Having a swear filter at all seems a bit unnecessary in a title like GTA, but taking it so far as to censor words like virgin? There's not a person on the planet that would be playing GTA that would be offended seeing the word virgin pop up in their chat.

You have to create a "safe environment" where people can kill each other without being triggered.

Insert I don't want to live on this planet any more image here.

agreed, I mean dont the npcs walk around saying worse things?

If anyone was curious, riding a motorcycle into Ammunation will get you shot. :)

Haha that's awesome, I love ammunition. Best place to grief people, just camp the door when people are in there with a sniper and play whack-a-thug as they come out :p

I chased a fool into the ammunation, I crashed a police cruiser through the doors and killed the player and the store clerk by smashing the car right up onto the till. I sat in the car, shooting out the back window for 30min as police tried to kill me.

It's a shame they simply didn't imitate their online infrastructure from Red Dead Redemption. That was awesome. Way better than this.

RDR was Game of the Generation for me. Also cemented my fandom of the western genre that continues today, before that I could take-or-leave Western. GTAV is a masterpiece and nearly knocked RDR off that tentpole, but RDR did atmosphere and story-telling just a bit better:

And free roam in RDR was simply glorious. In the early days of it I discovered a way to glitch under a building, and I could shoot out and see the gank squad looking for me, but they couldn't see me except on the radar. The ensuing proximity chat was side splitting. That wasn't what made it fun though, it was all the player interactions, joining up into posse's and having outright wars with other ones. Teaming up with people, betrayals, drama drama. I met some girl once in it and we became Xbox friends for years simply after I helped her get revenge on some group that ganked her.

There was just something magical about RDR, between the SP and the MP. I don't know if it really just had more to do with the game coming out in a particular time and place and like woodstock or a shuttle launch you were either there or you weren't and if you weren't you missed it and you'll never know what it was like, nor am I sure it will ever be repeated or recaptured in quite the same way, except maybe by another Red Dead title. So many golden moments.

GTA5, again, is phenomenal, and admittedly I haven't messed around with GTA Online beyond a couple hours. But within that short time, whatever that "it" was that RDR had, GTA5 Online doesn't. Gimme stars, gimme rain, gimme lightning - gimme RDR2.

Last edited:
^^ Agreed 100 percent. I still play RDR on occasion even now.

Rockstar peaked on that game on any and all aspects. As good as GTA 5 is, in some ways RDR is still better. I'd pay full price right now, today, for an RDR remaster on PC and absolutely would be giddy for a part 2.

Rockstar peaked on that game on any and all aspects. As good as GTA 5 is, in some ways RDR is still better. I'd pay full price right now, today, for an RDR remaster on PC and absolutely would be giddy for a part 2.

didnt rockstar already confirm that a sequel is in the works? I would pay more than the current standard of 60$ for a RDR release on pc. not much i have dreamed of more than playing RDR in full 1080p or even 4k now. toss in a couple mods and I may never come back to the real world.

didnt rockstar already confirm that a sequel is in the works? I would pay more than the current standard of 60$ for a RDR release on pc. not much i have dreamed of more than playing RDR in full 1080p or even 4k now. toss in a couple mods and I may never come back to the real world.

Apparently might get mentioned at E3 from what I gather. PC, PS4, Xbox One.

If that happens I'll be very happy. I'd be giddy if I were playing it before 2015 is out but that doesn't seem likely.

find a friend, download my premade 24-30 second tracks and just trade wins with each other.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/gtav/pc/jobs/

filter "any publisher" and "any date" and "wildace"

you will see races called Sprintorino that i made, just add 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 to your game, skip 4 because it is a bicycle race.

and then in game make a playlist of those 5 races, so when you start the playlist in game it will let you do all 5 races in a row and you can just trade win with people and then at the end of the 5th race hit page up to choose to restart the playlist without loading back into freemode and start the 5 races over again.

repeat that 20 times so each of you have 50 wins.

45 wins = all performance parts, 50 wins = chrome paint, and you need to do slip streams for another paint as well so when its not your turn to win just do a slip stream overtake then fall back to let the other person win and work on the progress for that paint.

if you have a 3rd person you can bet $10k on the planned winner as long as 1 person also bets $100 one someone else and 2 of you will make 4000 per race and the 3rd will make 3900, so you can make some money doing it with enough people as well. you need 3 people to have betting work properly. and you need to have the 10k in cash in your pocket, not the bank to be able to bet it.

its not showing any results when I put in the wildace filter... did it get taken down for some reason?

Last edited:

From what I heard a RDR port for PC is not possible. The original team got scrapped and the code is so obfuscated that any attempt to make a direct port would not work. Over half the code would have to be rewritten from scratch and it's not worth the effort.

The game is great. Just started playing it on PC instead of PS4. I still use a controller but it just looks so much better... lol.

From what I heard a RDR port for PC is not possible. The original team got scrapped and the code is so obfuscated that any attempt to make a direct port would not work. Over half the code would have to be rewritten from scratch and it's not worth the effort.

That sucks. Damn them for not doing a port earlier. I hate having to keep a last gen console around for a couple of games that never made it to PC.

That sucks. Damn them for not doing a port earlier. I hate having to keep a last gen console around for a couple of games that never made it to PC.

If it was done from day 1 with a PC version in mind maybe, but apparently the team behind RDR was working in brutal conditions. Near crunch time the moral was so low that the team gave up on commenting code or properly organizing the source that only original developers would be able to make any sense of it.

Back