GPU Tariff Exemption Expires December 31, Could Spell Higher Graphics Card Prices

If the tariffs get suspended again, Nvidia will probably still raise their prices and claim it's because consumers should have been ready for it anyway.
And they won't be wrong, whether we like it or not. They keep selling everything they put out at whatever price they put it out at.

If the tariffs get suspended again, Nvidia will probably still raise their prices and claim it's because consumers should have been ready for it anyway.
You'd think that, but today they announced geographic price drops of 5-10% depending on where in the world it is. They say it's not in response to the AMD cards but a correction because of inflation and currency fluctuations.

You'd think that, but today they announced geographic price drops of 5-10% depending on where in the world it is. They say it's not in response to the AMD cards but a correction because of inflation and currency fluctuations.

Naah, it's probably because crypto crashed and is flooding the market with cheap GPUs. People buying those instead of $1200+ 40x0 cards and Nvidia is stuck with over supply.

The last thing we need is the resumption of a tariff on tech goods. Without going too far into the political aspect, it was an absolutely moronic move for the last administration to implement such a policy as it did and even worse given the economic conditions of the time. The current administration granting an exemption was a smart way to reverse course, but I had forgotten they were temporary; an unfortunate likely procedural workaround to get immediate relief to skyrocketing prices. I can't imagine that it won't be renewed or extended, or some more long term policy put in place etc.. as the last thing anyone needs is a 25%+ price increase on things that are hard enough to get, people are struggling etc..and we don't need to exacerbate shortages and expenses the way they were back during early COVID19. While some may balk at this being cost prohibitive to buyers of top of the line GPUs or mobos, it will also affect anything that is at least partially fabricated or assembled in China and that means everything from individual components like resistors or PCBs to whole cards that are "mostly" finished there, including electronics and computing parts used in cars and other sorts of devices!

On GPUs alone, I can remember how the demand (and scalping, done almost entirely by bots that cost hundreds of dollars for subscription) for the Founder's Edition NV cards (somewhat rare and Best Buy focused, but still at least possibly accessible) and reference AMD cards (extremely rare in comparison to AIBs, direct sales were horridly managed by AMD's DigitalRiver storefront near exclusively botted ) because those versions maintained their original pre-tariff MSRP thanks to being flagged as fabbed enough in Taiwan , and thus were by far the cheapest - if you could get one. AIBs jumped in price nearly overnight, atop the "normal" price increase for high end AIB variants. I was lucky to pick up my Asus Strix 3090 at the old price of around $17xx , the last restock before the tariff pricing kicked in and it was easily over $2000-2400. While the Asus ROG Strix 3090 was thought to be one of the best AIBs of that model, a $200-ish price increase over the FE is perhaps at least within the proportional standard "AIB premium" forthe VRM, cooling, overclocking and other features of the AIB...but a $500+ is excessive to the point of it not being desirable. This is to say nothing for how the AMD 6800XT, even not being a mining card should have thrived at the reference $650 MSRP but it was practically impossible to find a reference model and you easily saw AIBs starting at $900+. With all the shortages and relative dearth of FE/reference models, the situation primarily was a benefit to scalpers who could resell FE/reference at a higher profit and AIBs who could push prices higher and still have their product fly off the shelves because there was very little alternative - everyone else lost out.

While we don't have the GPU mining trend to keep people paying no matter what anymore, the last thing we need with everything else is higher prices when hardware, especially GPU chip and board manufacturers haven't seemingly come to terms with the scalper-miner gravy train pricing ending (Nvidia's pricing of the 4080 models was a good example). Having the tariff come roaring back as another way to habituate the customers to paying more while also giving them plausible deniability (oh we didn't WANT to raise prices its the tariff! etc) isn't going to be helpful for us in the long term.

I will buy new gpus and cpus with current prices. I took different route I bought my i5-12600k+asus tuf z690 wifi with 1-2 year warranty left $325 shipped then I picked up used Evga RTX 3080 10gb 2 year left for $525 shipped.

I love making my dollar work for me. I didnt have budget, I felt getting used last gen stuff better value, then buying new at current prices. I would rather (wait and have pentice) save money and get best value i can get for my dollar.

I have been seeing people (bi*** about price, then pay price they bi*** about, its simple logic if product is over priced, wait for prices come down,

Do people really "Need" buy it now. To me smart play is wait for prices drop. if they dont, I wont give out my hard earned money.

Hell $1600 would pay for "whole year" my business insurance.

Maybe im getting older and thinking more wiser then i did think in my younger years. Running Lawn Care business also changes how and where your money goes. Yes i make good money, but i also have big list of bills and payments.

Expressing my view. Make it simple dont buy $1600 product stop the demand and the price will drop. its simple logic people dont understand or are wasteful with money, It amazes me, how people just throw money away now adays, Money is no object for me. I perfer spend wisely and make my dollar do double work.

Me personally I will take smart route and not buy wildly priced card until price drops. I know most have that attitude I want it now and price is no object is simply stupid and dumb. giving company higher price then showing company we dont put up with it, what do people do? they go buy it at high stupid price.

Logics simple. if people are that stupid pay 1600 then work together get price drop. Simple truth its people stupidly letting companies do this.

They seem to understand that there isn’t an alternative and it takes years to build a facility capable of building them.
I would like to think smarter heads prevailed with "inflation" creating price increases the last thing consumers need is even more increases in prices... well I'd like to think that ...

Even if another exemption is granted, we're not going to see new midrange to high-end GPUs for $200~$300 any time soon.

All this means is they aren't going to see any money from me any time soon. In 2010 I bought a brand new full warranty RTX 460 for $190 in the first month of launch. Adjusted for and including 2022's high inflation that's about $255. Around that price point is my expectation. IE. $240 would be fine, so would $280. I'm not going to pay $400 for a XX60 level card. It's just not going to happen. As far as I'm concerned they can go choke on their greed.

Technically the Tarrifs are supposed to protect the interests of the United States Economy, internally. To force more companies to build their shit here.

Regardless, there was an extension so we can all keep buying the cheap Chinese made shit for a little bit longer.

Who is they? That need to choke on their greed?

Affordable Midrange GPUs haven't existed in years... That dream died years ago.

Technically the Tarrifs are supposed to protect the interests of the United States Economy, internally. To force more companies to build their shit here.

Regardless, there was an extension so we can all keep buying the cheap Chinese made shit for a little bit longer.

Who is they? That need to choke on their greed?

Affordable Midrange GPUs haven't existed in years... That dream died years ago.

Only if that worked. More companies are already building here when it comes to chip production etc. but you are never going to get 100% build here especially like putting things together when it comes to labor for small things like phones/GPUs etc. That will just pass on more cost to consumers. Lot of companies have already moved distribution from china elsewhere. So that is as good as you are going to get.

Only if that worked. More companies are already building here when it comes to chip production etc. but you are never going to get 100% build here especially like putting things together when it comes to labor for small things like phones/GPUs etc. That will just pass on more cost to consumers. Lot of companies have already moved distribution from china elsewhere. So that is as good as you are going to get.
I understand the nature of the regulation. We're a bit too late to the party expecting that we can build everything we need to survive inside our own borders. That ship sailed when we sold out all our national industries.

Unfortunately, the way things are going at some point I suspect we may be fucked. If any sort of shooting war starts with China, our electronics availability will dry up overnight. Not only because of our interests in China but because of China's ability to hit shipping with military assets in all the countries around it.

Back