GPU Prices dropping?

The irony of that is I was able to get a couple cards off newegg when they were dropping 4-5PM PST. Now even with the help of discord alerts that I've swooped on like a hawk in seconds, it doesn't matter. Gone before I can even get the page open.
Same. I had good luck early on (2x 6800XT, 3080, and helped with a 3090/3070). But now? Yeaaahhh... nope. Nada. Been trying for 2 weeks for a friend; about to give up and pay scalper prices for a hydro-copper 3090 - they carry a smaller premium as they're not as useful for most people.

Maybe these companies don't care, due to the fact they can directly sell millions in hardware to mining companies.
That said...It doesn't benefit any company to have it's product exposure limited in a market they're interested in growing.
Maybe they're truly not interested.
Its like car sales...you want the most exposure in hopes of customers having a great experience.
That is what spurs repeat-buying and longevity to the brand.
If they were truly looking for a long-term business solution, they'd require that all individual purchasers of GPUs be registered.
They could also require payment method linked to the specific e-mail address.
That'd severely limit what we are all seeing now.
Sure!...a greedy scalper could ask somebody in their household to buy another card but it'd be much harder to buy five....two maybe.
That'd also eliminate bots.

Last edited:
The irony of that is I was able to get a couple cards off newegg when they were dropping 4-5PM PST. Now even with the help of discord alerts that I've swooped on like a hawk in seconds, it doesn't matter. Gone before I can even get the page open.
No good deed goes unpunished. :eek:

Regular 3090 prices are hovering near $3K on Ebay, while the Kingpin edition is at $4K and above.
Way this is going, i'll either go:
"Remodel the Kitchen? Or buy a new GPU? ;)"

Regular 3090 prices are hovering near $3K on Ebay, while the Kingpin edition is at $4K and above.
Way this is going, i'll either go:
"Remodel the Kitchen? Or buy a new GPU? ;)"
Or you buy a dozen 3090s, do a lot of mining, and that's how you pay for the Kitchen remodel. Then sell all the 3090s except 1.

There must be some weird addiction attached to gaming for people to pay $4000 for a GPU.
I sold a fully functioning car for half that a few months ago.
It was in great shape too.
I'd have to be fu**ing mad to do that.
I'm not.

[ .. ]
I'm not.
Maybe we are all a bit mad, or just plain loony, trying to psych out this insane market. Honestly, six months from now, I think all of us will be having the same conversations and still throwing shade on the miners.

Last edited:
I think the average price of a 3090 is around 2600 USD. 3K is pretty optimistic for pricing, 4k Kingpin is pushing it.

There must be some weird addiction attached to gaming for people to pay $4000 for a GPU.
I sold a fully functioning car for half that a few months ago.
It was in great shape too.
I'm not.

Yeah, from a mining standpoint I don't really get the attraction since the payoff time is too high. On the otherhand, anyone that wanted a 3090 for gaming or work probably had the money to buy it early at release anyway, so I'm not sure where this demand is coming from. Maybe people that aren't really into gaming except because of the pandemic, and they have money to throw around?

I just wanted to chime in – here, in Eastern Europe, cheapest (cards with better cooling cost even more) in stock 3080 goes for 3074 USD. Cheapest 3070 goes 1628 USD. Those prices are definitely dropping in a different direction than their supposed to. 3090 cards are not even in stock...

Yeah, from a mining standpoint I don't really get the attraction since the payoff time is too high.
Well that all depends I guess. It's an asset that can go up and down in value, sometimes to extremes. ROI is a big thing for some people who mine however others simply stack and wait to sell. For the latter, they don't care about ROI nearly as much since they are betting on an increase in valuation down the road. And you also have some who have no interest in selling for fiat currency at any point in time and are simply holding under the hope that eventually the whole thing takes off and it becomes (more) useful.

Yeah, from a mining standpoint I don't really get the attraction since the payoff time is too high. On the otherhand, anyone that wanted a 3090 for gaming or work probably had the money to buy it early at release anyway, so I'm not sure where this demand is coming from. Maybe people that aren't really into gaming except because of the pandemic, and they have money to throw around?
3090 is better than nithibt

Of course, 6 months from now when the cards are around $7-8K on Ebay and the like, we'll have some people wishing they had bought a 3090 now...lol (This is sarcasm btw :whistle: )

Reactions: x509
like this
GPU prices have been going up for NV. Apart from the FE and some EVGA cards, the rest are now increased in price. the only 3080s below $1000 are from NV(FE), EVGA and PNY. MSI, Asus, Gigabyte are all 1000+ now, and the same goes for the 3090, $2000+ apart from the listed 3.

GPU prices have been going up for NV. Apart from the FE and some EVGA cards, the rest are now increased in price. the only 3080s below $1000 are from NV(FE), EVGA and PNY. MSI, Asus, Gigabyte are all 1000+ now, and the same goes for the 3090, $2000+ apart from the listed 3.
They're going to keep going up. When something isn't a deflationary asset and instead becomes an investment that will payoff there's really no ceiling to the price.

Go look on r/ethermine people are still blowing five figures on a rig because they think it'll pay off before the summer. It may bit most likely it won't.

For others like me, I'm just having fun. I'm only getting cards from etailers though if I wanted I could grab some fr ebay. I found a block yesterday worth 10k but because I was in a pool I didn't get to keep any :(

Big congrats to everyone who purchased at inflated prices and have now moved the market up on all things GPU for the foreseeable future.. Retailers aren't' going to let everyone get all the cookies on eBay and the like forever.

No good deed goes unpunished. :eek:
The punishment is more and more people are getting bored with computer gaming and online stuff like working online. I even see young people getting bored of computers. They want to play with physical stuff not virtual.
So whatever new GPu they don't care. GTX 1060 or anything that good is fair enough now to many. Eventually they'll get a PS5.
There's going to be a PC sales collapse in the months to come. So maybe the GPU manufacturer count on mining to have their product sold. An maybe they will even make their product more mining effective so they keep that market alive.

there's a used MSI GTX 1660 Ti twin fan model currently listed on ebay for $285 shipped. It has 57 views per hour and it's still up for sale while ALL other used GTX 1660 Ti's list for $400+

R things slowing down? Does anyone really care besides miners?

there's a used MSI GTX 1660 Ti twin fan model currently listed on ebay for $285 shipped. It has 57 views per hour and it's still up for sale while ALL other used GTX 1660 Ti's list for $400+

R things slowing down? Does anyone really care besides miners?
Dont think so. The great rip off continues. Built a 3700x system last July. Still rocking my rx 480 8GB which is apparently worth 350 euro 2nd hand. Still a great card and I've no intention of paying a 1000+ for a 300 euro replacement.

Call me crazy...but if I was a renter stuck at home during a pandemic, I'd be saving just in case I got that dreaded call from the boss saying he wasn't re-opening or filing for bankruptcy. The same is true for the landlord. He could call at anytime and say he is behind on payments to the bank or has to raise rents.
Suddenly, it ceases being disposable.

Call me crazy...but if I was a renter stuck at home during a pandemic, I'd be saving just in case I got that dreaded call from the boss saying he wasn't re-opening or filing for bankruptcy. The same is true for the landlord. He could call at anytime and say he is behind on payments to the bank or has to raise rents.
Suddenly, it ceases being disposable.
Yeah but instead let's say you're a programmer or someone who can work at home indefinitely. That's not going away, so even if your company files for bankruptcy you might be in an industry where you'd be ok with finding work. But you're in a lockdown state/country and stuck at home with nothing to do, so you got into video games. You make $250-500k and most of it is spent on useless bs. So you can cut down on your OnlyFans expenditures or something and buy an RTX 3090 or whatever everyone else says is the best GPU out there for your new computer. That's kinda what I figured was driving some of these prices, but I figured those people would've bought their cards by now.

Yeah but instead let's say you're a programmer or someone who can work at home indefinitely. That's not going away, so even if your company files for bankruptcy you might be in an industry where you'd be ok with finding work. But you're in a lockdown state/country and stuck at home with nothing to do, so you got into video games. You make $250-500k and most of it is spent on useless bs. So you can cut down on your OnlyFans expenditures or something and buy an RTX 3090 or whatever everyone else says is the best GPU out there for your new computer. That's kinda what I figured was driving some of these prices, but I figured those people would've bought their cards by now.
Yeah, I know that good programmers make nice money, but $250K or double that??? I dunno

Amd and Nvidia could make sure they sell directly to gamers, by taking orders and fulfilling them linearly. They are actively choosing not to. I believe this will have negative consequences for them. Many gamers might just abandon pc gaming. I’m not saying it’ll happen en masse, but it could be considerable: cut off someone from their hobby long enough, might be hard for them to get back to it once they discover they enjoy other things just as much or even more. Personally, it’s making me absolutely dislike the idea of giving either of them money ever again. I understand shortages. I don’t understand their not making sure they’ll sell to gamers, then sell the rest to miners or whatever. They’d sell out anyway (and they don’t make more money off of inflated prices) but at least it’d guarantee their main market is satisfied. It’s a matter of priorities. If I’m not a priority for them as their client for 25 years, they sure as heck won’t be a priority for me ever again. This has become an abusive relationship.

like this
Yeah, I know that good programmers make nice money, but $250K or double that??? I dunno
Thats... really good money but not that much.
Amd and Nvidia could make sure they sell directly to gamers, by taking orders and fulfilling them linearly. They are actively choosing not to. I believe this will have negative consequences for them. Many gamers might just abandon pc gaming. I’m not saying it’ll happen en masse, but it could be considerable: cut off someone from their hobby long enough, might be hard for them to get back to it once they discover they enjoy other things just as much or even more. Personally, it’s making me absolutely dislike the idea of giving either of them money ever again. I understand shortages. I don’t understand their not making sure they’ll sell to gamers, then sell the rest to miners or whatever. They’d sell out anyway (and they don’t make more money off of inflated prices) but at least it’d guarantee their main market is satisfied. It’s a matter of priorities. If I’m not a priority for them as their client for 25 years, they sure as heck won’t be a priority for me ever again. This has become an abusive relationship.
They are selling to gamers. Just not as directly as we’d like. I’m in for a 3090,3080,3070 and two 6800XT. Just said fuxk it and put in an offer on another 3090 at 2.7k. Meh? Solves problems.

Bingo. It’s an easy expense for a hobby. I’ve spent more on track cars.

500K "programmers" are extremely few.

Realistically a developer position ranges from 75-150K.

Just said fuxk it and put in an offer on another 3090 at 2.7k. Meh? Solves problems.
that’s not selling directly to gamers... that’s selling to scalpers and you paying grossly inflated prices. Also, reality check: the majority of people can’t just say fuck it and drop 2.7K on their gaming hobby. I’m not including myself in that club - I’m in the group that says fuck it, I refuse to pay these prices to play silly little games on my computer when going for a run or hike is absolutely free and has way better graphics.

that’s not selling directly to gamers... that’s selling to scalpers and you paying grossly inflated prices. Also, reality check: the majority of people can’t just say fuck it and drop 2.7K on their gaming hobby. I’m not including myself in that club - I’m in the group that says fuck it, I refuse to pay these prices to play silly little games on my computer when going for a run or hike is absolutely free and has way better graphics.
Guy who has it is a gamer, been using it for 3 months - he bought it new. Wants the cash out of it. I'm a gamer, need another card to help two others fill in gaps and be able to game again. And once the card-roulette is done, I may have another 1080TI sitting in my lap that I can sell... which would mean that card didn't cost that much.

Guy who has it is a gamer, been using it for 3 months - he bought it new. Wants the cash out of it. I'm a gamer, need another card to help two others fill in gaps and be able to game again. And once the card-roulette is done, I may have another 1080TI sitting in my lap that I can sell... which would mean that card didn't cost that much.
That still does not address my point. Neither AMD or Nvidia are ensuring that they sell directly to gamers, which they could. And so it's being bought by a scalper - gamer or not, the speculative re-selling makes them a scalper - who then resells it at a massive profit extracted from the following client - whether that's a gamer or not. Either way, you bought your card indirectly, and at a massively inflated price. Nothing wrong with that, but it confirms the point I made earlier. AMD/Nvidia are leaving gamers to hang dry, when they could prioritize some of that stock for gamers by selling directly to them, since it's going to sell for the same monetary gain for them anyway.

like this
That still does not address my point. Neither AMD or Nvidia are ensuring that they sell directly to gamers, which they could. And so it's being bought by a scalper - gamer or not, the speculative re-selling makes them a scalper - who then resells it at a massive profit extracted from the following client - whether that's a gamer or not. Either way, you bought your card indirectly, and at a massively inflated price. Nothing wrong with that, but it confirms the point I made earlier. AMD/Nvidia are leaving gamers to hang dry, when they could prioritize some of that stock for gamers by selling directly to them, since it's going to sell for the same monetary gain for them anyway.

AMD sells directly to consumers via AMD.com. But how would you propose selling directly to 'gamers'? All I see is 'gamers' whining about a problem and presenting no viable solution on how to fix it. All the repeatedly whine is to to sell to 'gamers' without a viable solution on how to define a 'gamer' while having this superiority complex towards other consumers.

I would say EVGA probably does the best thing with their trade-up program.

Demand greatly exceeds supply, People capitalize on that and bot /scalp a large chunk of the supply at massive price hikes. The suppliers have done little to prevent this , or have continued to fail if they are trying, and so the consumer base is frustrated and angry. I get that. From AMD/Nvidia 's point of view everything being made is selling instantly and its not a bad place to be. If this costs sales or customers down the road that remains to be seen. At the end of the day its all a shit show and maybe its the Dad in me but I'm not mad.. I'm disappointed.

To everyone who is truly upset about not being able to get the new hotness.. Don't be. Just sit it out and find something else to do while it plays out. Its not worth your time, energy and certainly your mental health.

AMD sells directly to consumers via AMD.com. But how would you propose selling directly to 'gamers'? All I see is 'gamers' whining about a problem and presenting no viable solution on how to fix it. All the repeatedly whine is to to sell to 'gamers' without a viable solution on how to define a 'gamer' while having this superiority complex towards other consumers.

I would say EVGA probably does the best thing with their trade-up program.

Their "trade up" program is borderline false advertising. They haven't shipped to people who have been in the step up queue since Day 1 on 3080s.

Their notify queue is actually useful for gamers though. More places should take note. Essentially allow backorders and 1 card purchases.

Their "trade up" program is borderline false advertising. They haven't shipped to people who have been in the step up queue since Day 1 on 3080s.

Their notify queue is actually useful for gamers though. More places should take note. Essentially allow backorders and 1 card purchases.

I've traded up a RTX 2070 and a coworker has traded up their RTX 2080 to the 30xx version around Jan-Feb timeframe. So it *does* work. IIRC, the problem with trade-up/queue is that some SKU's are 'dead' (e.g. the cheaper SKU's).

Demand greatly exceeds supply, People capitalize on that and bot /scalp a large chunk of the supply at massive price hikes. The suppliers have done little to prevent this , or have continued to fail if they are trying, and so the consumer base is frustrated and angry. I get that. From AMD/Nvidia 's point of view everything being made is selling instantly and its not a bad place to be. If this costs sales or customers down the road that remains to be seen. At the end of the day its all a shit show and maybe its the Dad in me but I'm not mad.. I'm disappointed.

To everyone who is truly upset about not being able to get the new hotness.. Don't be. Just sit it out and find something else to do while it plays out. Its not worth your time, energy and certainly your mental health.

And wait and see the coming GPU wave that happens if/when Ethereum mining becomes less to non-existently profitable (potentially as early as July). Everyone will be able to buy used mining cards for cheap on the secondary market, and Nvidia and AMD are going to shit their pants when demand craters.

I've traded up a RTX 2070 and a coworker has traded up their RTX 2080 to the 30xx version around Jan-Feb timeframe. So it *does* work. IIRC, the problem with trade-up/queue is that some SKU's are 'dead' (e.g. the cheaper SKU's).

And when did you/they enter? Day 1, I assume, for a 3080. Other cards (3060Ti/3070/3090) might be moving faster than the 3080.

One problem is a) nvidia doesn't even operate a point of sale and b) AMD operates one through Digital River and simply doesn't care, though I've heard a few improvements were made in the last drop.

I think if a membership program was made similar to evga elite with either a lottery system or queue system for various e-tailers it would be an improvement. Let's face it, the majority of the stock is being scooped up by bots, even on Best Buy now. If strict 1 card per customer restrictions would actually work, I think the majority of actual gamers could get one.

Back