GPU Prices dropping?

Except just about every "gamer" with a workable GPU is running nicehash at the moment, even little kids.

The imaginary dividing line between "gamers" and "miners" doesn't really exist, except in online arguments among people living in the past.

There's a big difference between a small subset of people owning one card, maybe two to mine with versus the hardcore miners that buy up 20+ cards to set up rigs cleaning out the inventory with bots.

There's a big difference between a small subset of people owning one card, maybe two to mine with versus the hardcore miners that buy up 20+ cards to set up rigs cleaning out the inventory with bots.
IMO the magnitude of the difference or the distinction is mostly mental because the net effect is the same whether they're scattered across hundreds of thousands households or thousands of warehouses - they're all still mining.

Obviously, a wider distribution of cards - fewer cards but in more hands- would be ideal so more individuals benefit, but the world doesn't work that way.

Unfortunately global compute demand isn't a democracy. Everyone's competing for a constrained resource, and will find a way if it matters enough to them. A lot of people whine about the situation, others accept it for what it is and either think next steps or move on to a bigger concern.

I honestly don't get the issue with people getting cards. Since January I've been able to get, 3x 3070's from various vendors, 1 3060 Ti, 1 3060 and 1 3090 all from either newegg or best buy. It's not hard, I didn't need to dedicate hours or days of my life. Enter newegg shuffle and know the drop times from other retailers (can find from reddit or discord servers). I've been paying whatever MSRP is at the time. I have used zero bots.

Mining is here to stay. Crypto is here to stay.

I honestly don't get the issue with people getting cards. Since January I've been able to get, 3x 3070's from various vendors, 1 3060 Ti, 1 3060 and 1 3090 all from either newegg or best buy. It's not hard, I didn't need to dedicate hours or days of my life. Enter newegg shuffle and know the drop times from other retailers (can find from reddit or discord servers). I've been paying whatever MSRP is at the time. I have used zero bots.

It’s hard or you’d have more.

It’s hard or you’d have more.
Lol actually money is my main issue. I've had to defer a few purchases (mainly 3090s).

My main point is gamers should be able to get one 3000 series if a punk ass bitch miner like me can half a dozen.

I just sold a Geforce 770 for $120 on FB. This shortage is crazy. Last summer I figured the card was worth maybe $40-50.
That model was released in 2013! 8 years ago, no warranty. The shortage is dire & people are desperate.
That old 770 is probably only good for Minecraft & basic games.

Except just about every "gamer" with a workable GPU is running nicehash at the moment, even little kids.

The imaginary dividing line between "gamers" and "miners" doesn't really exist, except in online arguments among people living in the past.
I resent those accusations. I want a future to live in.

Lol actually money is my main issue. I've had to defer a few purchases (mainly 3090s).

My main point is gamers should be able to get one 3000 series if a punk ass bitch miner like me can half a dozen.
lol, yep, miners are hogging all the cards and at whim can buy dozens of them in some secret place beyond gamers internet passport allowance. Reality is most of us have to find the GPUs, using some smarts like everyone else. I too was able to obtain a 3090 and 6900XT without too much time and effort. Since 3080's are so lucrative yet for mining I may extend my new GPU buying spree. I normally (before I used GPU's for mining) bought around 5 cards per generation except last generation which was only 1, the 5700XT, Turing was a joke. So I am 7 cards down from my normal routine :D. As for pricing, I expect a continue increase in price for GPUs.

I don't see them doing a 4XXX series until 2022 at the earliest.
Which is exactly when they are expected to be released. Is anyone surprised by this? 2021 will be a 3xxx Super year.
These cards not showing up on Steam surveys just shows that gamers are not the ones grabbing the cards, the miners are.
Even though Nvidia cards are better at mining this time around? Yeh, not sure I buy it.

Newegg no longer does their drops at a specific time. It's completely random now. This is a bit of an annoyance since I've missed an alert on my mobile and was unable to act. The drops are even coming sometimes during typical business hours, further hampering efforts to act on them.

The best luck I've had is using discord channels and you have essentially about 60 seconds or less to act. Past that point, unless it's a 1500$ 3090 or 6900XT, you will not be able to secure anything and will be waiting until the next chance.

Newegg no longer does their drops at a specific time. It's completely random now. This is a bit of an annoyance since I've missed an alert on my mobile and was unable to act. The drops are even coming sometimes during typical business hours, further hampering efforts to act on them.

The best luck I've had is using discord channels and you have essentially about 60 seconds or less to act. Past that point, unless it's a 1500$ 3090 or 6900XT, you will not be able to secure anything and will be waiting until the next chance.
60 seconds?

which discord channel? The half dozen channels I’m joined into the in stock time is less than a couple seconds.

Sometimes it can be less than 60. But at most, you've got about that much time.

snail monitor is what I've used in the past.

Newegg shuffle, I've been selected four times through them since it began including Tuesday which netted a 3060 ti.

Newegg shuffle, I've been selected four times through them since it began including Tuesday which netted a 3060 ti.
Too bad their prices are often pretty terrible. I've also entered 4 times and not been selected once, so congrats on the luck!

I moved primarily to my notebook with a 1070, and put my 1080 ti on ebay. Not even been a day, and it's over 550. It's crazy, considering all people have to do, is be patient, and wait for stock to come in. I also think this could be avoided, if they give b&m stores exclusive rights to launches for a month. Internet commerce needs to be tamed, or we will all be working for corporations, with no ability to own a business.

how do you get alerts about newegg shuffle? I want to try badly fora 3080 but I never know when to look.

how do you get alerts about newegg shuffle? I want to try badly fora 3080 but I never know when to look.
You dont, really just check it, it only starts Monday - Friday from 9:00am PT – 11:00am PT and goes for a few couple of hours then the drawings are fulfilled around 2-4 PT. (you get an email if you didnt win a drawing)

Divided even further by miners and real miners.

I just watch some one pay $450 for a 2060 at my MC 🥺

Not a great price by any stretch but people are selling 1070ti cards for more than that. I would take the 2060 brand new for even money. Wild times for sure.

LOL.. funny stuff

1615832764025.png

Saw Paul's Hardware vid and he mentioned something about Miners in Mongolia being cut off power wise. Their reign of power sucking days are over. Keep an eye out for used/mined/burnt-out cards up for grabs :LOL:

I think there might be a longer delay for Nvidia 4xxx series than traditional one year. The cards are now six months old and still no availability from either vendor. Every card made is gobbled up. Not much incentive for AMD or Nvidia to retool the fabs when the current cards are selling gobstoppers. Nvidia CMP cards should further delay the 4xxx series cards. I bet we are closer to a year and a half, or two year cycle this time. Covid, fab shortages, RAM shortages, crypto demand, It’s a mess.

The traditional "increment model numbers and refresh" has largely disappeared. It only made sense with Kepler when you #1 had big Kepler still waiting for a price cut, and #2 real launch of the GTX 750 Ti.

Pascal and Turing both got re-brands / price cuts within the same product numbers (1070 Ti, the Turing Super range).

What makes you thin they will release the Ampere refresh as the 4000-series?

I agree that the super/Ti refreshes are going to be later that Turing's were, but I don't think they will be delayed to next year. By winter, we should have vaccinated the whole supply chain , and stable-enough supply for component pricing to drop.

Last edited:
The traditional "increment model numbers and refresh" has largely disappeared. It only made sense with Kepler when you #1 had big Kepler still waiting for a price cut, and #2 real launch of the GTX 750 Ti.

Pascal and Turing both got re-brands / price cuts within the same product numbers (1070 Ti, the Turing Super range).

What makes you thin they will release the Ampere refresh as the 4000-series?

I agree that the super/Ti refreshes are going to be later that Turing's were, but I don't think they will be delayed to next year. By winter, we should have vaccinated the whole supply chain , and stable-enough supply for component pricing to drop.
I don't understand what you mean.

I don't agree increment model numbers and refresh has disappeared. Each new model was on a one or perhaps 1.5 year cadence for the most part for quite a few generations of cards.

I'm saying that the 40x0 cards release, my guess/speculation anyway, will be longer cycle than normal. As in we probably won't see the 40x0 cards released at the 2021, one year date of this 2020 September release of the 3080 ampere. It wouldn't surprise me if we don't see the 40x0 cards until mid 2022, maybe even late 2022. Ti's and Supers of the Ampere generation could be at any time, and that wouldn't surprise me -- especially if they try to cripple the ETH hash rate as they did on the 3060 to sell more CMP cards. It might mean they will stop making the original 3060TI, 3070, 3080, and 3090 boards all together and move to the new hash limited supers or Ti's for all subsequent releases. Forcing their CMP card sales for those who want to mine.

Then again, the new July EIP 1559 change to the ETH algorithm might really throw all the guess up into the air and where they land nobody knows.

Last edited:
I'm saying that the 40x0 cards release, my guess/speculation anyway, will be longer cycle than normal. As in we probably won't see the 40x0 cards released at the 2021, one year date of this 2020 September release of the 3080 ampere. It wouldn't surprise me if we don't see the 40x0 cards until mid 2022. .

We haven't had a new consumer GPU architecture release-cadence of less than 2 years since the 90s.

Turing - 2 years after Pascal.
Pascal - 2 years after Maxwell
Maxwell - 2 years after Kepler
Kepler - 2 years after Fermi
Fermi - 3 years after Tesla ( really neede to wait for die shrinks to make monye off this huge thing)

That's why I couldn't possibly believe you were talking about their next architecture anytime before 2022 (assumed you were talking about refresh, once that is the only fucking thing you could be talking about THIS YEAR!)

It's likely the successor to Ampere will be delayed, but no more than 3-6 months. Still, it will not be out until at least August 2022.

We haven't had a new consumer GPU architecture release-cadence of less than 2 years since the 90s.

Turing - 2 years after Pascal.
Pascal - 2 years after Maxwell
Maxwell - 2 years after Kepler
Kepler - 2 years after Fermi
Fermi - 3 years after Tesla ( really neede to wait for die shrinks to make monye off this huge thing)

That's why I couldn't possibly believe you were talking about their next architecture anytime before 2022 (assumed you were talking about refresh, once that is the only fucking thing you could be talking about THIS YEAR!)

It's likely the successor to Ampere will be delayed, but no more than 3-6 months. Still, it will not be out until at least August 2022.

Let's look at the whole picture. With ~four exceptions, it's been an annual cadence in the last 20 years. (and if you space them out where two came out in one year - it's less than 4 exceptions)
However, the cadence does seem to be slowing down to every two years...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce
1615844434715.png

Let's look at the whole picture. With ~four exceptions, it's been an annual cadence in the last 20 years. (and if you space them out where two came out in one year - it's less than 4 exceptions)
View attachment 339350
Those are card releases, not generations... I think you two are talking past each other.

Generations (Tesla, Fermi, Kepler, etc) are every 2+ years. Card releases (refinements on an architecture) come far more often. EG: On there, the Geforce 8 is the first release of Tesla - which is also the 9 series, the 200 series, the 300 series, etc - up till the 400 series (Fermi). That means we had 2006-2010 on Tesla. Now, the improvements there were real - back then especially - but it was the same architecture underneath it. Now Kepler came in 2012 - so 2 years there. Maxwell in 2014 - 2 years. Pascal in 2016 - 2 years, and so on. The weird part has been that they didn't "refresh" (new name) updates for 900/1000, instead doing a TI or Super release. The 16 being the oddball, as a whacked on Turing.

View attachment 339350

I'm sorry man, the typical refreshing of the same architecture has been going on for some time.

The GTX 280 uses nearly the sme architecture as the 8800 GTX. The old G92 die-shrink of the old 8800 GTX was rebranded several times: 9800 GTX, GTS 250.

The GTX 780 uses exactly the same architecture as as the GTX 680 (they had already played-around with mismatched ROP to pixel-shader ratio with the 6600 GT 8 pixel shaders, 4 rops, so the new 1.5:1 ratio used was just another tweak) - the ROP count didn't even change!

The Geforce 4 was a refresh of the GeForce 3.

The only exception to that rule on the list sine the 90s is the FX. (because it sucked)

After Kepler's refresh, They changed the refreshing branding from "increment to a new number set" to a mix of Ti / Super.

Last edited:
I just sold a Geforce 770 for $120 on FB. This shortage is crazy. Last summer I figured the card was worth maybe $40-50.
That model was released in 2013! 8 years ago, no warranty. The shortage is dire & people are desperate.
That old 770 is probably only good for Minecraft & basic games.

Im not sure what your metric for basic games are but Minecraft or variants can run on a RaspberryPi at decent frame rates and the GPU on that is significantly slower than a gtx770.
I have a gtx760 in one of my older machines It has been a solid card, it's still going since 2013. It can still play all current mainstream popular games such as CS:GO / TF2, DOTA, Rocket League at 1440p with a mix of med to high settings at and they look pretty decent still. In fact source engine games are running at max settings 60 - 140fps @ 1440p @ 2X AA and it's the 2gb model, non Ti. Sure these aren't the most demanding titles but for most people these older cards honestly work just fine. As for my games of choice which rarely includes AAA titles im still able to play a lot of them on this machine still. Of course pretty much every pixel / indie game works, emulation it runs everything out there and a lot of older AAA titles work too.

If you look in the top 50 of the most played games on Steam, a gtx770 is going to run the majority (not all) of these on 'passable' settings at 1080p at decent enough frame rates. The truth is, your typical gamer doesn't really require much beyond a 6 series ( 5 series for AMD) tier GPU and the stats on GPU sales kind of prove this. Im not surprised people are willing to buy them still, i wouldn't id wait it out but people are desperate.

https://store.steampowered.com/stats/

I mean take a look at that list of games and tell me how many won't run with some judicious settings choice on a gtx770 at a lower resolution. Im not overselling it though it's an old card, it is what it is, but the benefit of PC is that you can make most things work with some tweaking, especially the majority of games on that list (outside of VR of course)

It seems the more graphically demanding the game the further down it goes (because graphics don't correlate directly with gameplay longevity i guess) .Cyberpunk is 60th in the list already lol.

Last edited:
one card on ebay doesn't mean its a trend.
A lot of it is because of kids getting into gaming, but Christmas totally sucked for new stock, on top of old stock running out. It's a perfect storm of situations, and the trend is just that. A very high demand, with zero stock. Did I mention the miners lol?

I put up 4 computers for sale on Craigslist on Sunday. Within minutes I was getting emails asking if I'd sell just the video cards out of them. I told them all that I understood the current GPU situation but because of that I couldn't sell the cards as I would have no replacements. The cards are a 2080 Super Hybrid, 2060 Super and 2 RX-580 8Gb. Have the systems with the RTX cards sold (both Ryzen 5-3600 based), 2 interested parties on the other 2 (R3-3300X, i3-9100F).

sam

I have not “won” 3 Newegg shuffles.
I’ve been on EVGA waiting list for 3080 since Nov 24th...

Back