Good 3d modeling software that isn't expensive?

cyclone3d

[H]F Junkie
First off let me say that I don't have a 3d printer myself but do have a family member and a friend that have 3d printers.

I am needing to make a model for a replacement lense hood for one of my DSLR lenses because a new one is not available and the aftermarket ones are way overpriced.

I did try out Shapr3D and had the model made in about 5 minutes. Super easy to use but the free version only lets you export super low quality STL files. The registered version is over $250 per year and I ain't gonna put in my CC info to be able to used the trial full version.

Looked at some lists of recommended modeling programs such as Blender3d, FreeCAD, and DesignSpark Mechanical but they all seem really over complicated to use compared to Shapr3D and the interfaces just plain suck.

Anybody have a recommendation for a good program that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? Free or open source is even better.

I might have access to a license for an older version of SOLIDWORKS and could probably use this since it looks like it should be able to export to STL.

You can do a TON of stuff with Tinkercad. It's basic AF but it works lol.
I've heard about the others you've mentioned and yeah, complicated is the first thing that comes to mind.
I hear about Fusion 360 a TON. IIRC personal use is free.

TinkerCad is good for basics and quick edits.
Fusion360 is the bigger brother - so more in depth and more options.
If I am making something a bit more organic and less engineery I use Blender.

In your case, I think TinkerCad would be sufficient.

Reactions: Jelly
like this
I use Fusion 360 for personal use, the free version. The limitations haven't been an issue for me.

I modelled a moderately complex 3D printer project not too long ago using Blender which as far as I know is completely free. I had good experiences with it. The program has tons of tutorials out there and lots of support for people modelling designs that they want to print.

I used CloudCraft3D printing service to print my end product and mail it to me and it turned out really well. The PLA printing material resulted in a good, sturdy build that can support more physical strain than I expected.

Tinkercad if it’s basic and Fusion360 if it needs to be fancy. I use both to develop models for 3D printing.

Are you able to move files from TinkerCad to Fusion360? If file type is saved appropriately? Either for sharing or moving to more complex models that Fusion offers?

Tinkercad is good and would be enough for many cases. I started designing after I bought my first 3D printer. My learning curve was Tinkercad - Meshmixer - ZBrush (1 month) - Fusion360(1 month) - Blender. I wish I did just Tinkercad - Blender, as Blender is a sandbox and has it all including a big helping community. Also, I still cannot figure out how people are able to use a free Fusion360, when I tried I was always asked to pay.

I just made the jump from Tinkercad to Fusion 360. After watching a few Youtube tutorials and doing a couple follow along projects, I have the hang of it for basics.
It takes a little longer than Tinkercad, but some stuff is actually far easier, like accurate fillets.

Engineering Manager/Designer with 16 years experience here.

I would use the older version of Solidworks. Fusion360 is like sticking forks in your eye. I would rather turn tricks at a truck stop than have to use it for anything complex.

In all seriousness... Fusion360 is fine for making a lens hood, I just find its UI and assembly process god awful. My son had a engineering class at his high school that used it and I played with it to teach him how to use it. Single parts work logically as you would expect.

Blender is not for making accurate models. There are CAD addons for it, but they are 1/4 assed.

Last edited:
Engineering Manager/Designer with 16 years experience here.

I would use the older version of Solidworks. Fusion360 is like sticking forks in your eye. I would rather turn tricks at a truck stop than have to use it for anything complex.

In all seriousness... Fusion360 is fine for making a lens hood, I just find its UI and assembly process god awful. My son had a engineering class at his high school that used it and I played with it to teach him how to use it. Single parts work logically as you would expect.

Blender is not for making accurate models. There are CAD addons for it, but they are 1/4 assed.
Agree with this. The solidworks experience is valuable when going for jobs, less so is fusion360. See a lot of candidates come in with fusion or tinkercad and it just has a 'meh' feeling to it, see solidworks regardless of version and it gets attention.

Im electrical but having used both fusion and sw and it just felt more comfortable using sw when learning 3d modeling.

Yea blender is good for creative imaginative things but for parts and assemblies it is not designed for that.

Back