Going to try the Asrock 670E TaiChi.

That looks awesome!

I saw your post getting it for $329 can't beat a $170 savings!

Watching for price drops now myself and current goal is to go for the same board.
$329 vs $699-$999(Asus) vs $1,100(MSI)

How is your stability, stress testing going? I'm really thinking of getting your mobo with the new 7950X3D unless Intel can show something. Any reason you went for a 7700x on it?
OCCT, AIDA64 all great.

Bought 7700X combo for cheap at Micro Center as a placeholder until X3D. Already have a rig with 7950X / ASUS Gene X670E.

OCCT, AIDA64 all great.

Bought 7700X combo for cheap at Micro Center as a placeholder until X3D. Already have a rig with 7950X / ASUS Gene X670E.
Nice!

That's wild! What are you doing with the other board / chip ? Any feedback in the major differences between your Asus and Taichi?

Was it easy to setup / clock in?

Nice!

That's wild! What are you doing with the other board / chip ? Any feedback in the major differences between your Asus and Taichi?

Was it easy to setup / clock in?
I’ve got 4 rigs - 2x 5800X3D and then these two. My son, my office, etc

ASUS is my preference but they’re so expensive. The ASRock is an awesome balance of price/perf. Build experience was great. Easy setup!

I’ve got 4 rigs - 2x 5800X3D and then these two. My son, my office, etc

ASUS is my preference but they’re so expensive. The ASRock is an awesome balance of price/perf. Build experience was great. Easy setup!
That's what I was thinking! That price is....

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at picking up this board as well, and reading that it has a "PCIe Slot Q-Release button" to release the graphics card.

I've been looking at photos and for the life of me cannot see where that button is located.

Can one of you with that board direct me to it?

Thank you!

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking at picking up this board as well, and reading that it has a "PCIe Slot Q-Release button" to release the graphics card.

I've been looking at photos and for the life of me cannot see where that button is located.

Can one of you with that board direct me to it?

Thank you!
It’s the same as any board - it’s marketing fluff.

There’s supposed to be a physical button that you depress which releases the graphics card, located away from the slot to make it easy to pull the card.

The Guru3d reviews states there is one.

Here it is on an Asus board:

There’s supposed to be a physical button that you depress which releases the graphics card, located away from the slot to make it easy to pull the card.

Oh. I’ll look, lol. I haven’t even seen that. I did the old PCI slot move to adjust my GPU. It’s an ASRock X670E Taichi.

If you could check, that would be great.
It would seem pressing the latch to release the card would be very frustrating without that button to eject it.

The review states "In addition to the PCIe Slot Q-Release button, which makes it simple to remove the graphics card,"

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/asrock-x670e-taichi-review,1.html

I downloaded the manual as well and no mention of it.
Yeah I don't see it, man. It isn't even outlined here - https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X670E Taichi/index.asp.

I would guess Guru3D is wrong. They're pretty good but that Hilbert H. guy does like a million reviews so I am sure mistakes happen.

It's pretty frustrating - but OK. I used a long, slim screwdriver to start it and then used my finger. Not ideal.

Yeah I don't see it, man. It isn't even outlined here - https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X670E Taichi/index.asp.

I would guess Guru3D is wrong. They're pretty good but that Hilbert H. guy does like a million reviews so I am sure mistakes happen.

It's pretty frustrating - but OK. I used a long, slim screwdriver to start it and then used my finger. Not ideal.
That's what I figured, appreciate you taking the time to look.

That's what I figured, appreciate you taking the time to look.
Good luck! FWIW - I absolutely love this board. Makes me kind of regret my X670E Gene purchase (diff form factor, I know). That's a great board, too. But at the price the Taichi is just amazing. Glad I opted for it in my 2nd build and I have absolutely no regrets with it. There is a lot of sketchy stuff in reviews from users but I didn't experience any of it. Maybe it was launch wrinkles?

Good luck! FWIW - I absolutely love this board. Makes me kind of regret my X670E Gene purchase (diff form factor, I know). That's a great board, too. But at the price the Taichi is just amazing. Glad I opted for it in my 2nd build and I have absolutely no regrets with it. There is a lot of sketchy stuff in reviews from users but I didn't experience any of it. Maybe it was launch wrinkles?
Could you PM me? I have a question. Thanks!

I'm still watching microcenter when it drops to the price you got it I'm jumping on it.

Few ppl bashed it saying the SATA slots won't run fast enough ( I have legit 8: 1 18tb 3 10tb, 4 SSD). I don't see how I'll have an issue as I'm coming for the X99 Rampage Extreme and why buy an add in card.

On paper it has everything I want complete with USB4 and a gen 5 M.2 slot.

The comparable mobos are all like $600/900/1200. The Crosshair Extreme says "*When the PCIe 5.0 M.2 card is installed on the PCIEX16(G5)_2, PCIEX16(G5)_1 will run x8 only.
*When M.2_2 is enabled, PCIEX16(G5)_1 will run x8 and PCIEX16(G5)_2 will runx4." .

I can't find anywhere where the ASRock lowers the speed if you use the gen 5 or full SATA Ports.

It almost seems too good to be true for this price!

I'm still watching microcenter when it drops to the price you got it I'm jumping on it.

Few ppl bashed it saying the SATA slots won't run fast enough ( I have legit 8: 1 18tb 3 10tb, 4 SSD). I don't see how I'll have an issue as I'm coming for the X99 Rampage Extreme and why buy an add in card.

On paper it has everything I want complete with USB4 and a gen 5 M.2 slot.

The comparable mobos are all like $600/900/1200. The Crosshair Extreme says "*When the PCIe 5.0 M.2 card is installed on the PCIEX16(G5)_2, PCIEX16(G5)_1 will run x8 only.
*When M.2_2 is enabled, PCIEX16(G5)_1 will run x8 and PCIEX16(G5)_2 will runx4." .

I can't find anywhere where the ASRock lowers the speed if you use the gen 5 or full SATA Ports.

It almost seems too good to be true for this price!
There's an open box one at my Micro Center which is very likely the "clearance" one that I bought (same price) if you want me to pick it up. Just pay full receipt price and shipping. I've been watching it since I picked mine up a few weeks ago. I'm shocked it's still there, frankly. I'm sure next month when X3D drops it will be gone.

I think you may be able to ask your Micro Center to do a transfer, too. They did that for me when I had a defective Z490 mobo. It's the Saint Louis Park, MN location.

Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 6.54.26 AM.png

EDIT: do not update to the latest beta BIOS from 01/19/2023 - it caused BSOD and for some reason restarts no longer worked (it would hang, only a power off and power on would let me move forward when needing to restart). https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X670E Taichi/index.asp#BIOS

BAD:
1.11.CB08
[Beta]

GOOD:
1.11.AS06
[Beta]

I'm a cutting edge update guy, too. So I rarely complain but this completely changed my system to unstable.

EDIT2: reported the "bad" BIOS to ASRock. They should probably pull it but hey, maybe I'm the only one. Shrug.

EDIT3: no response from ASRock, yet - but I noticed that they pulled the 1.11.CB08 BIOS from their site - so that's a win.

Last edited:

I actually don't like this because you don't get that solid click feeling when you insert a card and I feel like use more force than usual to get it to fully insert.

I actually don't like this because you don't get that solid click feeling when you insert a card and I feel like use more force than usual to get it to fully insert.
Interesting, I could see that.
My only concern was trying to remove my 4090 with the lever that was smothered by the card, currently on an X570.
I run a Dimastech, easy V3 and if I go around to the back of the card, it looks like I'll have no issues removing, as the lever is literally right there.
So, at least for me, this looks like much ado about nothing at this point, amen.

Interesting, I could see that.
My only concern was trying to remove my 4090 with the lever that was smothered by the card, currently on an X570.
I run a Dimastech, easy V3 and if I go around to the back of the card, it looks like I'll have no issues removing, as the lever is literally right there.
So, at least for me, this looks like much ado about nothing at this point, amen.
I just got a z790 gigabyte board and they have an extra big lever on it for exactly that issue. The EVGA dark boards are very hard to release cards from because of this. Asus likes to put huge M.2 heatsinks there which is probably why they came up with it.

Up until yesterday I was considering the Asus crossfire rog hero but a reviewer yesterday discovered the top m2 slot conflicts with the pcie lanes for usb 4. This is really the only mobo choice if you want two 8x pcie 5 slots and usb 4 without issues.

Up until yesterday I was considering the Asus crossfire rog hero but a reviewer yesterday discovered the top m2 slot conflicts with the pcie lanes for usb 4. This is really the only mobo choice if you want two 8x pcie 5 slots and usb 4 without issues.
Yeah I read that review - remember though there are two pcie5 NVME slots so you can use the 2nd to avoid that. The Taichi only has one.

Yeah I read that review - remember though there are two pcie5 NVME slots so you can use the 2nd to avoid that. The Taichi only has one.
Agreed that is an option. What is mildly sketchy is I pulled up that manual and there is this:

mobo.png

The slot it indicates to use is the slot with the issue. I wonder if the singnaling to that slot is the most electrically clean and thus the recommendation or if it has to do with how the bios handles boot order ect...

Additionally if you can't use usb 4.0 and both pcie5 NVME slots it effectively just has one slot. There are only a handful of these mobos with USB 4 and you pay through the nose for it.

Edit: I guess I will amend my statement based off a comment in the thread for the actual review: "Its possible to use, but does have issues. Like instead of being nearly 3GB/s, it drops to 700 MB/s and will freeze for a few seconds in a middle of a transfer. When you copy stuff from that M.2 to the USB4 enclosure, that's when it really freaks out. I was lucky to stumble upon this problem. First time doing the bandwidth test it worked. Later on I was copying data over and kept having hanging problems. Narrowed it down until...well we know what now. I am able to replicate it, so it's not like a rare occurrence." - ir_cow

So depending on how you look at it they are just trying to squeeze everything they can out of the bandwidth they have and this is not so much a bug, but a feature.

Last edited:
FWIW - I have now deployed 3 X670E boards in my home. Here is my personal ranking for best to worst (favorites, lets say):

1. ASRock X670E Taichi
  2. ASUS ROG X670E Crosshair GENE
  3. ASUS X670E ProArt

The Taichi has really surprised me. Awesome board.

FWIW - I have now deployed 3 X670E boards in my home. Here is my personal ranking for best to worst (favorites, lets say):

1. ASRock X670E Taichi
  2. ASUS ROG X670E Crosshair GENE
  3. ASUS X670E ProArt

The Taichi has really surprised me. Awesome board.
Those 3 use newest bios?
Do you max your mem to 6000~6200?

I've been using mostly ASRock board for AM4 and they are very pleasant to use, simple bios layout, cheap price, fully compatible with almost all ddr4 ram kits out there.

Those 3 use newest bios?
Do you max your mem to 6000~6200?

I've been using mostly ASRock board for AM4 and they are very pleasant to use, simple bios layout, cheap price, fully compatible with almost all ddr4 ram kits out there.
Yes and yes. DDR5 6000 CL30 throughout.

How's that ethernet port on the taichi doing?

Really debating selling my rampage v extreme to upgrade if it'd not too much if consider but the reports show the 7950x3d is not Asa HUGE improvement as it was made out to be.

However it uses a lot less power...

How's that ethernet port on the taichi doing?

Really debating selling my rampage v extreme to upgrade if it'd not too much if consider but the reports show the 7950x3d is not Asa HUGE improvement as it was made out to be.

However it uses a lot less power...
Fine since I just have a Gigabit network. I guess the issues are at 2.5 Gig speeds. I haven’t had a single issue with the board!

Is the fan audible? The Taichi seems to be the only board with a tiny fan and ANY noise drives me up a wall.

I’m not a noise sensitive person but I didn’t even know it had a fan.
The motherboard comes with a fan for one of the SSD’s. I did not install mine. Not horrible noise from the motherboard.

On a different note, I return the 7900 XT reference card. It was my last day to return it up, Micro Center, and they had an open box as a rock 7900 XTX, phantom .The motherboard comes with a fan for one of the SSD’s. I did not install mine. No audible noise from the motherboard.

On a different note, I returned the 7900 XT reference card. It was my last day to return it at Micro Center, and they had an open box Asrock 7900 XTX phantom gaming card for $90 more. Seemed like a good deal. At the time of original purchase, the XTX was $250-300 more.

I will say the reference 7900xt was a solid card and if you can find a good price I’d recommend one.

Back