GOG Winter Sale 2021

Armenius

Extremely [H]
A lot of good deals on the DRM-free store going on. The sale runs from December 13 through January 5. The GOG sale does deep discounts and flash sales like Steam used to do.

https://www.gog.com/winter_sale_2021

1639407212817.png

They are also doing a free giveaway this week, two giveaways on the bookends of Christmas weekend, and one after New Year's. The first giveaway is Shadow Tactics.

https://www.gog.com/game/shadow_tactics_blades_of_the_shogun

1639407166382.png

Yay, a shout out to GOG! I have 740+ titles on GOG and it is now officially bigger than my Steam library. Truly, GOG is the closest we will get in the digital age to actually owning (at least, maintaining full control of) our purchases and that is why it has been my primary storefront for quite some time now.

That, and they actually make an effort to make sure older titles run reasonably well on newer hardware.

Last edited:
Yay, a shout out to GOG! I have 740+ titles on GOG and it is now officially bigger than my Steam library. Truly, GOG is the closest we will get in the digital age to truly owning (at least, maintaining full control of) our purchases and that is why it has been my primary storefront for quite some time now.

That, and they actually make an effort to make sure older titles run reasonably well on newer hardware.
I mean, most games are just configured to use DOSBox, and I've run into quite a few where the config from GOG wasn't even that good. Games like the original Diablo that have been updated in earnest to work on modern machines are few and far between.

I mean, most games are just configured to use DOSBox, and I've run into quite a few where the config from GOG wasn't even that good. Games like the original Diablo that have been updated in earnest to work on modern machines are few and far between.

YMMV, I guess - I've had no problems with the actual DOS stuff in DOSBOX, but then again, I don't really get too many DOS games through GOG unless it was a game I didn't have already and really wanted to try. Then again, I have an actual 486 with a SoundBlaster AWE64, GUS 1M and MPU-401 with an honest-to-go MT-32 and SoundCanvas SC55mkII connected to it for DOS games...

Most of the games I refer to are older Windows titles which are notoriously problematic on newer systems. Stuff like Dungeon Keeper 2, for example. It may take them a while and several tries to get it right, but they do put in the work (in my experience)

It's convenient at times but even if the config is good I sometimes like to change some the stuff like specific scaling options that you're locked out of with the packaged version.

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream is the free giveaway for 48 hours starting today. Based on the classic short story by Harlan Ellison, who voices the controlling supercomputer AM.

https://www.gog.com/game/i_have_no_mouth_and_i_must_scream

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and its DLC are the new releases. All the content together is $0.03 more than Steam right now. There is also Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (2001) and Cave Story. The former is not on sale since it just came out.

https://www.gog.com/game/the_binding_of_isaac_rebirth
https://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_dark_alliance
https://www.gog.com/game/cave_story

🎆
Those pesky date ranges! Beware of GOG's nonstandard date-range notation. I confirmed via the Wayback Machine that the sale was advertised to last through the 5th of January, as indicated by the dash-separated dates on their home page. The actual end date of the sale was probably posted in hundreds of other places, but none of that matters because I didn't get my Witcher goodies pack! :( Missed it by one day.

Did any of you pick up anything interesting?

May I also ask whether you have any tips for keeping track of game sales? Do you set up e-mail notifications (presumably to a non-primary mail account) for price alerts? I seldom buy new games so I've never bothered in the past.
Yay, a shout out to GOG! I have 740+ titles on GOG and it is now officially bigger than my Steam library. Truly, GOG is the closest we will get in the digital age to actually owning (at least, maintaining full control of) our purchases and that is why it has been my primary storefront for quite some time now.

(y) I always buy from GOG when the option is available. I just hope that our loyalty isn't misplaced. It's difficult to tell what direction they're headed in, as I've been out of the loop for too long.

🎆
Those pesky date ranges! Beware of GOG's nonstandard date-range notation. I confirmed via the Wayback Machine that the sale was advertised to last through the 5th of January, as indicated by the dash-separated dates on their home page. The actual end date of the sale was probably posted in hundreds of other places, but none of that matters because I didn't get my Witcher goodies pack! :( Missed it by one day.

Did any of you pick up anything interesting?

May I also ask whether you have any tips for keeping track of game sales? Do you set up e-mail notifications (presumably to a non-primary mail account) for price alerts? I seldom buy new games so I've never bothered in the past.

(y) I always buy from GOG when the option is available. I just hope that our loyalty isn't misplaced. It's difficult to tell what direction they're headed in, as I've been out of the loop for too long.
Most of the world uses DD/MM/YYYY notation for dates. It's the smallest unit of measurement to the largest. In my data career I've come to use YYYY/MM/DD since that notation sorts most logically.

I didn't grab anything during the sale because I already have everything I was interested prior to this sale. I did claim Shadow Tactics, though, since that caught my eye when it originally came out, but wasn't sure if I would like the gameplay.

Both Steam and GOG have weekly sales, so I always find out about them by just visiting the store in the Steam or Galaxy clients every week. But Reddit will always have a person somewhere posting about upcoming sales on various clients. Both Steam and GOG have active subreddits.

Most of the world uses DD/MM/YYYY notation for dates. It's the smallest unit of measurement to the largest. In my data career I've come to use YYYY/MM/DD since that notation sorts most logically.

Yes. That's not what I meant though. It was the way in which the date range was expressed that appeared nonstandard. I've never seen the dash used as anything but an inclusive "operator" for that purpose. I don't actually care that I missed the sale — games are basically always on sale, as you acknowledge below. Well, missing the Witcher Goodies pack was of course devastating, but I should recover within a year.

I didn't grab anything during the sale because I already have everything I was interested prior to this sale. I did claim Shadow Tactics, though, since that caught my eye when it originally came out, but wasn't sure if I would like the gameplay.

Both Steam and GOG have weekly sales, so I always find out about them by just visiting the store in the Steam or Galaxy clients every week. But Reddit will always have a person somewhere posting about upcoming sales on various clients. Both Steam and GOG have active subreddits.
Thanks. That makes sense. I'll probably just check their web sites from time to time as I have in the past.

Back