God of War (Confirmed) - Official Thread

so 'small object culling' is a CPU feature or GPU feature?...or both?...I have an AMD 5800X with an Nvidia 3080

so 'small object culling' is a CPU feature or GPU feature?...or both?...I have an AMD 5800X with an Nvidia 3080
Culling is detecting a group of object that does not matter (will not be seen because not on the field of view or here I imagine too far away for their small size) early on in your process, usually made (when I was young and going it) by the CPU and help both the cpu and the gpu by not calculating anything on them for no reason.

Culling is detecting a group of object that does not matter (will not be seen because not on the field of view or here I imagine too far away for their small size) early on in your process, usually made (when I was young and going it) by the CPU and help both the cpu and the gpu by not calculating anything on them for no reason.

so the developers adding small object culling will improve performance on my 5800X even though I have a non-AMD GPU?

I doubt a 5800x has issues. It might be older AMD CPU's. When I played this on my 3800x system (before upgrading to a 5900x) it ran just fine.

I doubt a 5800x has issues. It might be older AMD CPU's. When I played this on my 3800x system (before upgrading to a 5900x) it ran just fine.
It show a 30% change on a 5900x that could go under 22 fps without the added more aggressive culling (and go under 32 fps 1% of the time)

so the developers adding small object culling will improve performance on my 5800X even though I have a non-AMD GPU?
That would be my guess yes.

CPU. The CPU still needs to tell the GPU the position of everything on screen. It's also faster for the CPU to do this kind of math. Based on the direction of the view frustum, the CPU will figure out if an object is behind another object or otherwise obscured, and if it is, will not include it in the array of data in the frame update sent to the GPU.

Just finished GoW, was unbridled awesomeness from beginning to end. If someone told me 10 years ago that some of the best games on PC would be ported Playstation exclusives I would have bitch slapped them, but now the only games I am looking forward to are GoW Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West.....WTF!?

Anyway, here's the obligatory Ragnarok trailer....

Just finished GoW, was unbridled awesomeness from beginning to end. If someone told me 10 years ago that some of the best games on PC would be ported Playstation exclusives I would have bitch slapped them, but now the only games I am looking forward to are GoW Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West.....WTF!?
After Elden Ring I'm not nearly as interested in H:FW as I was prior. I'm still pumped for GoW:R though. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the PC port.

After Elden Ring I'm not nearly as interested in H:FW as I was prior. I'm still pumped for GoW:R though. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long for the PC port.

I have Elden Ring in my backlog, not sure how that relates to H:FW but whatevs. I think I am going to play something completely different next to not burn out on ARPGs - probably Ace Combat 7.

that's the main reason I'm currently playing other games in my backlog (mainly RTX games) because I know once I start Elden Ring I won't want to stop and will do multiple playthroughs etc...plus a part of me is waiting for the Elden Ring ray-tracing patch

God of War PC: AMD FSR 2.0 vs Nvidia DLSS Image/ Motion Quality Face-Off

It definitely looks like DLSS is still better, but I wonder if it will be as much of a night and day difference when playing the game vs doing in-depth comparisons like this. Though I do have one big take away from this: Never use performance mode in either. If you need performance mode to make 4K work, lower the resolution until you can use Balanced or Quality.

I’m playing this again, having abandoned this a couple of weeks after the games’s initial pc release. Previously I made made it to chapter five. I have no idea why I stopped playing… because this game is incredible.

Also, I was thinking… playing this on a 4090/55 inch OLED TV with a full Sonos Dolby setup, that we’ve come a long way from drawings on cave walls.

I’m playing this again, having abandoned this a couple of weeks after the games’s initial pc release. Previously I made made it to chapter five. I have no idea why I stopped playing… because this game is incredible.

Also, I was thinking… playing this on a 4090/55 inch OLED TV with a full Sonos Dolby setup, that we’ve come a long way from drawings on cave walls.
It's worth it. I purposely waited to finish the first one until I got a PS5 with the 4K 60 FPS update and a 75" Micro LED TV. It was worth the wait. Ragnarok was even more insane. I know this is a PC thread, but the game looks fantastic on the TV.

Debating picking up either this or Star Wars Jedi Survivor (sale prices) for my next single player game as I am close to finishing the Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty. Enjoyed the first Star Wars game a lot but have heard of performance issues on Jedi Survivor. Never played a God of War game before but glowing reviews in this thread have me interested. PC is a 9700K @ 5GHz, 32GB DDR4 and an RTX 3080 at 1440p/144Hz, will be playing on an Xbox One controller.

Thoughts?

Debating picking up either this or Star Wars Jedi Survivor (sale prices) for my next single player game as I am close to finishing the Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty. Enjoyed the first Star Wars game a lot but have heard of performance issues on Jedi Survivor. Never played a God of War game before but glowing reviews in this thread have me interested. PC is a 9700K @ 5GHz, 32GB DDR4 and an RTX 3080 at 1440p/144Hz, will be playing on an Xbox One controller.

Thoughts?
I haven't played Jedi Survivor but I did play the previous entry. Your system will be fine; the performance issues persist regardless of your hardware and mainly stem from stutters that occur for a second in certain places on the levels so it's mostly ignorable. The previous Jedi game was surprisingly good but it really drags at points. God of War will be the superior game in my opinion (I liked it enough to get all of the achievements) but Survivor looks to be a banger so pick whichever looks best to you. I'd get GoW first since it goes on sale for cheap now and then grab Survivor when hits $25ish.

Thoughts?
God of War is a must.

Thoughts?

I thought Jedi Survivor was a more entertaining game. However there are performance issues that I doubt will ever get fixed. Stuttering when switching from gameplay to in game cutscenes is bad. Gameplay is not too bad but there can be minor stuttering here and there. The main issue is the transition from gameplay to cutscene.

God of War ran perfectly as far as I could tell, but the map design and story were not that good. I much preferred Jedi Survivor. I didn't hate God of War, but I think it is one of the most overrated games I've played.

I liked both games and think you'd probably enjoy 'em both.

I found Jedi Survivor to be a lot more of a platformer than the previous game. Almost like a 3D take on games like Ori and Guacamelee where you're doing lots of different jumping and flipping moves. Combat is paced a little different, too. Rather than parry and counter, it's more about repeated parries and draining enemy poise, a la Nioh and Sekiro. For better or worse, those elements keep the gameplay from being too similar to the original. From a technical standpoint, it's still pretty sloppy though. It's absolutely playable, but just not quite ideal.

God of War is more methodical and straightforward, but still a pretty large game. The dialogue and storyline are define highlights, although the combat is solid and challenging, too. Performance is pretty much perfect, which is nice.

Combat is paced a little different, too. Rather than parry and counter, it's more about repeated parries and draining enemy poise, a la Nioh and Sekiro. For better or worse, those elements keep the gameplay from being too similar to the original. From a technical standpoint, it's still pretty sloppy though. It's absolutely playable, but just not quite ideal.

I agree. I felt the first game to be a lot harder, but still more satisfying. Survivor was clumsy at times when it came to blocking and doing damage. It made a number of the stances and moves not that practical. The first game felt more fine tuned although parrying was more or less barely functional when I played it due to how the timing worked with an unlocked frame rate. Not sure if they fixed that in Fallen Order.

I agree. I felt the first game to be a lot harder, but still more satisfying. Survivor was clumsy at times when it came to blocking and doing damage. It made a number of the stances and moves not that practical. The first game felt more fine tuned although parrying was more or less barely functional when I played it due to how the timing worked with an unlocked frame rate. Not sure if they fixed that in Fallen Order.

I played the first game at 60Hz and Survivor at 120Hz since I got a new TV. I found parrying really tough on the higher difficulties of Survivor...also mainly because you had to parry + dodge repeatedly instead of parry/attack once like in the first game. Lowering it to whatever the normal difficulty is made things almost too easy, so I dunno if it's still a technical issue or not. I wanted to use the "heavy" lightsaber and blaster stance whenever possible, but generally found that the game wasn't balanced well for either of them. In general, the normal or 2 sabers > the others in most situations. Again, it's related to difficulty, though. Playing on normal = you can kinda get away with anything. Playing it on either of the hard difficulties = Dark Souls hard.

Back