Gigabyte Z590i Vision D - Thunderbolt

mayhem147

n00b
My PC has a Gigabyte Z590i Vision D motherboard which has a DisplayPort input and 2 Thunderbolt outputs. So I have the option to connect the DP output of my GPU into the DP input on my mobo and then connect the Thunderbolt to my Samsung S34A65 display.

As I am only using the 1 dispaly and not chaining display togther is there any point in doing this? Surely this is just adding extra processing and I would be better off connect the DP of my GPU directly to the DP port on the display?

Opinions always appreciated, but if you know the answer for sure please let me know.

I don't see any reason to - it's carried natively so no real extra processing, but I don't see ~why~ for your setup.

I don't see any reason to - it's carried natively so no real extra processing, but I don't see ~why~ for your setup.
The only benefit I can see is 1 cable to my monitor instead of 2. Maybe that is important to some people?

What 2 cables do you have now? Should jsut be one DP cable, no? Or are you thinking power?

Ah yes sorry wasn't clear. The thunderbolt cable also carrys USB to the monitor for my USB speaker and webcam.

IMO, this sort of thing is most useful for laptops. If the monitor can provide enough power for your laptop, it essentially becomes the docking station. Additionally, you can get better support for more than 2 monitors, when using thunderbolt, on a laptop.

With desktops, dedicated GPUs aren't well enough integrated into the thunderbolt, to really be truly useful. But you might be able to go thunderbolt out, with the Intel graphics built into the CPU. But that would only be good as a secondary/3rd/4th monitor.

Back