GIGABYTE X570S AORUS MASTER

Tobit

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2010/May 2011
Anyone running a X570S Aorus Master? I'd like to hear your experiences, reviews seem to be favorable.

I was going to get an ASUS B550 board for my new build, first in 10 years, but it is out of stock at the stores I like and I don't want to pay a premium for it at third party sellers. So I've decided to spend a little more and get an X570 board and this is at the top of my list, I really like the four M.2 slots.

The GB X570 boards, especially the Master, have had a bit of an issue with the not booting and you have to remove the CMOS (there's a thread on here about that), but it *SEEMS* (based on my recent reading) that recent BIOS versions have finally fixed that.

I don't think the 570S boards will be any different though, so you should be good!

The cold boot issue is the only real issue with the Gigabyte x570 boards. It seems it was affecting all the x570 Aorus boards above the Aorus Elite but the number of complaints about the issue appears to have stopped almost completely.

I have the x570 Aorus Pro Wifi and I haven't had a single issue with it and like it quite a bit. If money hadn't been a concern I probably would have gone with the Master as well.

Another bit about the cold boot issue is it's likely related to having used QFlash. There is no definite statement from Gigabyte or anyone else that that was the problem but I wouldn't be surprised if the problem stemmed from using that and it somehow corrupted the main BIOS and the secondary BIOS. More recent BIOS revisions seem to have fixed that problem and the problem likely never manifested for anyone who hadn't used QFlash to flash the BIOS without a CPU.

I wouldn't hesitate about going with the Aorus Master.

Reactions: Tobit
like this
On 09/30 I changed the motherboard from Asus B550-E Gaming to Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master (picture 1).

In itself this is a very nice part, but the chipset and - because of the large contact area with the cooling plates - unfortunately also the M.2 drives, get quite warm over time. Thermal equilibrium is reached after almost two hours of idling. I observe temperatures on the chipset that do not differ (much) from the MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi (with chipset fan off in "Silence Mode") that is also present here. However, the two M.2 (M2A: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB / M2D: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB) get significantly hotter on the X570S Aorus Master because of heat transfer from the massive chipset cooling block.

HWiNFO reports 65 °C internal and 60 °C external for the X570 chipset. At any given time both M.2 are ca. 2 °C cooler than the reported external chipset temp (while idling). Very strange, but explained by the much larger contact area (see picture 2): the 970 EVO Plus runs even hotter than the 980 PRO.

The problem is that my case Fractal Design R6 has minimal air flow as it is optimized for silent operation (2x140 mm fans on the front, 1x140 mm on the back, all @400 RPM). This was enough for X570 Tomahawk Wifi and B550-E Gaming, but not for X570S Aorus Master. I have now changed the case to "open layout" (picture 3), installed two additional 140 mm fans in the floor and ramped up the fans a bit. That brings the temps down a few degrees.

On the software / driver side I am sorry to say that the gigabyte product is one big disappointment. None of the apps installed with APP Center ( [@ Bios, EasyTune, RGB Fusion 2.0, SIV ) is working properly. DTS:X Ultra can´t be installed either (no permanent license).

20211002_183210.jpg 20210930_190159.jpg 20211011_191607.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tobit
like this
I have this motherboard. flashed to the latest bios. How do you turn off the wifi chipset ?

Back