Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master won't power on - (temporary) solution

I'm still so conflicted...I have not run into any of these issues but with the return period ending in Jan, thinking of seeing how it goes until then before deciding.

Took 5-6 months until I started seeing this issue on mine, so the fact that it hasn't occurred yet doesn't mean it never will

Took 5-6 months until I started seeing this issue on mine, so the fact that it hasn't occurred yet doesn't mean it never will
Holy hell, that's crazy. Mind sharing any changes performed in between? Did you update the BIOS or anything like that? Change in hardware? GPU? Or is it basically all was running well and all the sudden, BAM??

If so, I need to start shopping for a motherboard.

Holy hell, that's crazy. Mind sharing any changes performed in between? Did you update the BIOS or anything like that? Change in hardware? GPU? Or is it basically all was running well and all the sudden, BAM??

If so, I need to start shopping for a motherboard.
No other changes except updating the BIOS. But then I reverted back to the "good" one and it happened again. Everyone that had this issue here believe it's a design/hardware issue that cannot be fixed with BIOS updates.

I have one installed and updated waiting for my 5950x to get here tomorrow. It is in the Amazon return window and is going back. I have had good luck with Gigabyte in the past, but I don't want to risk it with the cost of this board. Going to an ASUS model most likely.

Thanks all!

No other changes except updating the BIOS. But then I reverted back to the "good" one and it happened again. Everyone that had this issue here believe it's a design/hardware issue that cannot be fixed with BIOS updates.
Ah, got it. Thanks for sharing.

I'm almost tempted to just buy one and get to testing on it. If I can find the evidence, and then mine fails in this way, I can lodge a complaint with the consumer commission. But then, don't wanna jump into a dumpster fire either XD. Damned Asus boards getting expensive here too.

Another food for thought. I also own a Rampage 4 Extreme + 3960X. That board was known to have a cold boot issue as well. You literally heated up the area around the on board power button to get it going if you had the issue.

This doesn't look like that though. Very much looks like some sorta protection tripped.

Anyone try removing the rear backplate? Maybe setting up an ammeter to see if it tries to draw a huge current on startup?

I have been looking for other boards and at this price point, it’s hard to find a comparable. The asus is okay but I want the 3 m.2 slots. Closest one is the MSI Ace.

I have been looking for other boards and at this price point, it’s hard to find a comparable. The asus is okay but I want the 3 m.2 slots. Closest one is the MSI Ace.
Unfortunately for me, the Ace and the Creation, lost me at "MSI" XD. I've had a look at Buildzoid vids of them as well, they aren't horrible, but still, "MSI".

Ugh, at this rate GB has done nothing but insult that great VRM.

Unfortunately for me, the Ace and the Creation, lost me at "MSI" XD. I've had a look at Buildzoid vids of them as well, they aren't horrible, but still, "MSI".

Ugh, at this rate GB has done nothing but insult that great VRM.
MSI has some of the best VRMs out there on their high-end boards (Godlike/Ace/Unify/Creation) The early mid-range/low end were crap - so they rolled out the Tomahawk as a replacement, which has the same setup as the top-end.

I'm almost tempted to just buy one and get to testing on it. If I can find the evidence, and then mine fails in this way, I can lodge a complaint with the consumer commission. But then, don't wanna jump into a dumpster fire either XD. Damned Asus boards getting expensive here too.

Another food for thought. I also own a Rampage 4 Extreme + 3960X. That board was known to have a cold boot issue as well. You literally heated up the area around the on board power button to get it going if you had the issue.

This doesn't look like that though. Very much looks like some sorta protection tripped.

Anyone try removing the rear backplate? Maybe setting up an ammeter to see if it tries to draw a huge current on startup?
but then why would it fail in some startups and not others? It should be failing all the time right?

How sad... On the Gigabyte Aorus Facebook group they are deleting posts referencing this issue.

Terrible.

Makes sense (to them), they're going to lose a lot of $$. Can you imagine going public with this, having to recall thousand of boards? What they don't realize though is that most of the affected users actively spread the word and eventually GB will lose a lot of new customers for some time.
By the way, I've noticed that a lot of people don't know about the CMOS battery "trick" and simply return their boards assuming it's a lemon (which it is). Thus, they don't end up in forums like this one and we don't hear about those.

P.S. Hopefully they have no power over this forum and this thread isn't going to suddenly disappear..

Makes sense (to them), they're going to lose a lot of $$. Can you imagine going public with this, having to recall thousand of boards? What they don't realize though is that most of the affected users actively spread the word and eventually GB will lose a lot of new customers for some time.
By the way, I've noticed that a lot of people don't know about the CMOS battery "trick" and simply return their boards assuming it's a lemon (which it is). Thus, they don't end up in forums like this one and we don't hear about those.

P.S. Hopefully they have no power over this forum and this thread isn't going to suddenly disappear..
In the big picture it really won't hurt them. They know this. The minor bad publicly out weights losing millions. The market for a masters is too niche to really hurt them. Many more of their reasonably priced MB have little to no problems. That is where the bulk of their sales are. It is bs as I own master but I have yet to experience this issue.

In the big picture it really won't hurt them. They know this. The minor bad publicly out weights losing millions. The market for a masters is too niche to really hurt them. Many more of their reasonably priced MB have little to no problems. That is where the bulk of their sales are. It is bs as I own master but I have yet to experience this issue.
yeah, I don't know how much it's going to hurt them, but personally I'll do my duty of reporting this as widely as possible and discouraging as many people as I can from buying GB board, until they make a statement about the issue.

By the way, people owning the less expensive x570 have reported similar issues as well (I think the Pro Wifi/Ultra version).

Obviously the issue doesn't occur on 100% of the boards otherwise it'd be on the news on a daily basis, but it seems that the number of affected users isn't insignificant. Also, owning a brand new master that hasn't had this issue wouldn't bring peace of mind knowing it can manifest 5-6 months down the road.

Final note, serious trustworthy companies recognize their mistakes, recall faulty products, apologize to their customers and then improve their products and move forward. And affected users keep buying their products. Not GB.

yeah, I don't know how much it's going to hurt them, but personally I'll do my duty of reporting this as widely as possible and discouraging as many people as I can from buying GB board, until they make a statement about the issue.

By the way, people owning the less expensive x570 have reported similar issues as well (I think the Pro Wifi/Ultra version).

Obviously the issue doesn't occur on 100% of the boards otherwise it'd be on the news on a daily basis, but it seems that the number of affected users isn't insignificant. Also, owning a brand new master that hasn't had this issue wouldn't bring peace of mind knowing it can manifest 5-6 months down the road.

Final note, serious trustworthy companies recognize their mistakes, recall faulty products, apologize to their customers and then improve their products and move forward. And affected users keep buying their products. Not GB.
I got mine when the 3950x was released so I had it more then 6 months.

Well, it just happened to me again. Shut down last night, and was greeted this morning to a dead system. So the whole routine, open case, remove vid card, remove CMOS battery, jump terminals, reinstall, power on like nothing had ever happened. This time I looked at Windows system logs and compared the shutdown last night to a fresh shutdown this morning. There are some differences. Some differing messages about returning from low power state right before shutdown (during the actual process of shutting down). I'd be willing to send my logs to Gigabyte if I could find someone there that gave a damn. Just an FYI, I am now on Win 10 64 version 20H2, and it has done the same thing on previous versions as well.

Well, it just happened to me again. Shut down last night, and was greeted this morning to a dead system. So the whole routine, open case, remove vid card, remove CMOS battery, jump terminals, reinstall, power on like nothing had ever happened. This time I looked at Windows system logs and compared the shutdown last night to a fresh shutdown this morning. There are some differences. Some differing messages about returning from low power state right before shutdown (during the actual process of shutting down). I'd be willing to send my logs to Gigabyte if I could find someone there that gave a damn. Just an FYI, I am now on Win 10 64 version 20H2, and it has done the same thing on previous versions as well.
Thanks for the update, interesting. If you manage to find someone from GB that cares about this, let us know :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, interesting. If you manage to find someone from GB that cares about this, let us know :)
Well, it just happened to me again too. I had my board after the first appearance in June in RMA. Got it back in July. Till now no problems (Bios f21). Shut down last night, and this morning a dead system. Cut off the powercable, pushed the power button several times. Than I managed to get to the CMOS battery without draining my whole system (CPU as well as GPU on watercoolin). Popped out the battery, waited a few minutes. Put back same battery, connected the power cable. I saw that the internal start button as well as my RGB ram lit up. next pushed the case power button and the system started normal.....
Very glad that I didn’t have to drain my system ......

Hopefully Gigabyte is going to look in your Windows log......

Well, it just happened to me again too. I had my board after the first appearance in June in RMA. Got it back in July. Till now no problems (Bios f21). Shut down last night, and this morning a dead system. Cut off the powercable, pushed the power button several times. Than I managed to get to the CMOS battery without draining my whole system (CPU as well as GPU on watercoolin). Popped out the battery, waited a few minutes. Put back same battery, connected the power cable. I saw that the internal start button as well as my RGB ram lit up. next pushed the case power button and the system started normal.....

So if it's a design/hardware issue, which most probably is, no matter what you change in your system it will reappear at some point.

Best solution at this point to get rid of the problem, get rid of the mobo :)

Everyone needs to be telling gigabyte e-suppprt everytime this issue occurs even if you have already had a ticket battle, Keep on at them linking them to this forum.

Everyone needs to be telling gigabyte e-suppprt everytime this issue occurs even if you have already had a ticket battle, Keep on at them linking them to this forum.
We should put together a running list of ticket numbers that we can provide to GB each time we have the issue. I know from previous posts, they refuse to use our forum as a credible source.

I start my day by reviewing this thread hoping there's a fix. It sucks because I want to love the board with all of the features that it has. Unfortunate that one of the feature is the potential to fail. I think someone also mentioned that the problem is not just exclusive to the X570 Aorus Master and there are lower tier X570 GB board that are also doing the same?

I start my day by reviewing this thread hoping there's a fix. It sucks because I want to love the board with all of the features that it has. Unfortunate that one of the feature is the potential to fail. I think someone also mentioned that the problem is not just exclusive to the X570 Aorus Master and there are lower tier X570 GB board that are also doing the same?
Truth is, when it works it's great. if it wasn't for this issue it'd probably be among the best x570 boards. However at the moment it's worst pick.

not x570 but it happened twice to me on a B550 Aorus Pro

Instead of removing the battery, have you ever tried to simply drain the power from the system by flipping the power switch on the PSU and them keeping the power button pressed for a few seconds until all lights go off (mine takes close to 10 seconds to do so)?

I've been doing this and it is working for me as long as I do it everytime before turning on the computer.

I'm not sure if anyone also noticed on their systems but before I started having the random shutdowns, I sometimes noticed the system wasn't able to fully feed the GPU.
However and since I'm power draining the system before turning it on, I haven't seen that issue as well.

Instead of removing the battery, have you ever tried to simply drain the power from the system by flipping the power switch on the PSU and them keeping the power button pressed for a few seconds until all lights go off (mine takes close to 10 seconds to do so)?

I've been doing this and it is working for me as long as I do it everytime before turning on the computer.

I'm not sure if anyone also noticed on their systems but before I started having the random shutdowns, I sometimes noticed the system wasn't able to fully feed the GPU.
However and since I'm power draining the system before turning it on, I haven't seen that issue as well.
I tried this and it did not work for me.

I am not sure if you are experiencing the same issue. This board is basically DOA until a hard CMOS reset is rendered.

Hi, been reading this thread for a while, I have the X570 Ultra and I get mostly the same problem as everyone, but there's one thing I noticed almost ALWAYS triggers it for my system and that's doing any type of updates, either Gigabyte App Center, any type of Windows updates, doing so will 100% make my system not boot on the restart or not boot the next morning (if I just turn it off or it updates as I shut it down).

Like everyone else I've contacted Gigabyte about it, but they said the same as everyone else, there's no issue and I can RMA it if I want (so no help there). My problems began roughly 8 months after buying the board and it went from happening every month ish to almost every 2-3 days now. I also have no fix as you've prolly all guessed and I've done everything everyone shared on this thread too. Just sharing my experience as well.

Hi, been reading this thread for a while, I have the X570 Ultra and I get mostly the same problem as everyone, but there's one thing I noticed almost ALWAYS triggers it for my system and that's doing any type of updates, either Gigabyte App Center, any type of Windows updates, doing so will 100% make my system not boot on the restart or not boot the next morning (if I just turn it off or it updates as I shut it down).

Like everyone else I've contacted Gigabyte about it, but they said the same as everyone else, there's no issue and I can RMA it if I want (so no help there). My problems began roughly 8 months after buying the board and it went from happening every month ish to almost every 2-3 days now. I also have no fix as you've prolly all guessed and I've done everything everyone shared on this thread too. Just sharing my experience as well.
a warm welcome to the club!

That's still crazy how you all are running with no issues for months all the way up to seeing happen within days of each other.

That's still crazy how you all are running with no issues for months all the way up to seeing happen within days of each other.
Yea, I've been doing research for days on my system to figure out what ''broke'' it and it happened when I upgraded to F12g in my case and I was running on F11 prior to that with no problems, although I couldn't tell you which Win10 version I was running at the time, I'm guessing 1903.

This is the Hardforum son, thread ain't going nowhere :p

The last 3 GB products I've owned have been problematic, 2 went RMA, one is here and got issues (7970TO). B250 "Ultra Durable" dead and RMA'd (basic office PC with a gold PSU lol) and 1080ti Aorus had problematic voltage controller causing blackscreens (would you look at that, more 5V issues with a GB product!)

Yes this is what make me think it's a 5V problem, maybe try to draw too much power on cold start. Given I just had that problem with faulty PSU I mentioned earlier.

I also tried a lot of things (erp mode / bios updates / VESA certified DP cable / single bios switch / voodoo incantations / etc ...) whithout success.

Hi, I've had this problem several times. Didn't have the issue since about 3 - 4 month until I updated to Windows 20H2 (from 2004) it occured the next day ... coincidence ?

I also think it is related to something that Windows (or Unix) is doing that don't work very well with these boards.
I think that cold_steel said that he don't have the problem anymore since he disabled sleep mode and hibernate mode.

So I searched in Windows event log and saw the event 42 (System entering Sleep) when I shut down the computer, even if hibernate and sleep mode is disabled in power managment ! I had to go to "Choose what the power buttons do" and uncheck fast boot / sleepmode so I don't have event 42 anymore, will see if it helps, waiting for the next big windows update ... :).

I also enabled "Power loading" option in bios, here is the description :
"Enables or disables dummy load. When the power supply is at low load, a self-protection will activate causing it to shutdown or fail. If this occurs, please set to Enabled. Auto lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting. (Default: Auto)"

Did anyone tried it ?

"Enables or disables dummy load. When the power supply is at low load, a self-protection will activate causing it to shutdown or fail. If this occurs, please set to Enabled. Auto lets the BIOS automatically configure this setting. (Default: Auto)"
I tried this...... but no result as it happened to me yesterday again. Also I don’t think it’s Windows related because i had several months no problems and changed no settings in Windows. For no reason it happened monday suddenly....
But i think it is surely voltage/power related. When I put the CMOS battery back and turned on the PSU the motherboard lights lit and also my RGB ram. When I turn off and on the PSU now only the mobo lights lit..

Did anyone tried it ?
I enabled it the other day after my issue happened within days of each other. It's the first time I have seen it in the BIOS, so let's see if i does anything. Here's to throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks! lol

I enabled it the other day after my issue happened within days of each other. It's the first time I have seen it in the BIOS, so let's see if i does anything. Here's to throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks! lol
Intrestimg.. I will enable it too.

Back