Gigabyte Aorus X370 Gaming K5

Nobu

[H]F Junkie
Heyo, the Gaming K5 is now available on Amazon ("in stock on April 19th" last checked), I'd assume newegg too (haven't checked).

Feel free to post your builds, bios woes, etc, for the K5 in this thread. :D

Here's the driver/bios download page.
Current BIOS available:
  • (03/09/2017) F1, "Initial release"
  • (04/10/2017) F2, AGESA 1004a, XSplit Broadcaster/Gamecaster added

Last edited:
MB shipped, CPU on order, mem waiting on the other two (maybe, might have to send it back and get udimms...).

On arrival, expect photos, water errwer, and a (hopefully) yuge bclk overclock. :D

Just built a 1600 with this board. I am having a heck of a time with it. I'm using the latest Windows 10 version (1703), the latest AMD4 chipset drivers, Gigabyte BIOS and Ryzen power profile. I have eVGA 2400 DDR4 but am running everything at auto which is 2133. I am getting random pauses/lockups while using Windows 10. It locks for like 10-15 seconds then is fine. I have updated every single driver I can find and did switch between a GTX 1060 and 480 X. Stutters still happen regardless of the video card. You guys think it's a ram issue? The motherboard is very cool though, love the LEDs.

Do you have it set to performance or power save mode? Could be core parking if it's not set to performance. To rule out RAM, you could try manually lowering the clock, loosen the timings, or raise the ram/soc voltage slightly, and try with just one stick.

I got everything in, but the memory I had on hand wasn't compatible (registered ecc), so I'm unable to test on my end until the replacement set I ordered comes in.

I had it on the new updated Ryzen power mode. I just set it to High Performance and see if it helps. The slowdowns/pauses seem to happen during multitasking. My assumption is maybe the memory. I will have to try lower timings and maybe one stick. I already have the ram running slower than what it is rated for. Very disappointing so far.

So I purchased a R5 1600 about a week ago and after looking at all the motherboards and all of the different brands, this one really caught my eye; well that and the Asus X370 Prime.

The only thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is the fact that there are no reviews for it. I am really curious to know how it performs compared to the X370 Gaming 5 and the X370 Gaming K7 (both of which offer features I don't care for like dual LAN).

I cannot manually change ram timings or voltage with the current BIOS. It won't let me do anything. All I can do is choose memory profiles and that's it. Anyone else with the same issue?

Still can't figure out how to change any cpu or memory settings in the BIOS. I tried the mouse and using the keyboard. Are those settings not allowed to be changed with the 1600 since it's not a "X" version, or is it such an early BIOS for this board they haven't enabled it yet?

Did you try '+' and '-', or 'pgup' and 'pgdn'? Select with 'Enter' first?

I tried + and -, did not try page up and down. Just weird, maybe because it's an early BIOS.

Last edited:
Finally figured it out. I had to turn the num lock off and use page up and page down. The +/- did not work. Now have been able to properly adjust my memory timings and things seem good now. I also upped the memory voltage to 1.25 and changed the power profile in windows to high performance. I don't seem to have the weird slowdowns anymore in Windows 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nobu
like this
RAM arrived: G.Skill F4-2800C16D-16GVG
Rated for 2800 at CL16-16-16-36, 1.2v
Can get up to 108BCLK, 3.8GHz with voltages set to +0V. RAM at 1.25V, ~2300, CAS12-11-11-11.

That's in BIOS, and not totally stable there either. Need to loosen things up a bit and see what boots.
Edit: reduced to 107Bclk, 3.7GHz, windows now boots. Cinebench 15 crashes, upping voltages.
Upped CPU to +.014, SoC +.014, ram 1.27V (think that happened automatically, though. Don't remember doing it anyway).
Cinebench passes multiple times, but the desktop shell crashed, then everything went down when I tried to open task manager.
Up to +.024 CPU, +.017 SoC now.

Hrm, doesn't seem to like booting with high SoC voltage. Set back to auto for now. Got my linux bootloader reinstalled, memtest86 failed pretty early with cas11, so set to 12 and seems to be running smoothly now. Sure is a lot faster when you have 12 threads crunching away. lol

Bumped the memory multi up and dropped bclk to 106, bringing mem to just under 2600 cas16-16-16-16. Memtest86 is passing for now.

Last edited:
I think I got everything running as it should now. Memory is running according to spec now (just 2400). I'm not planning on overclocking. I picked up a led strip at Microcenter today and installed it- pretty darn cool.

I think I got everything running as it should now. Memory is running according to spec now (just 2400). I'm not planning on overclocking. I picked up a led strip at Microcenter today and installed it- pretty darn cool.
Cool. Post pics when everything is settled. ;)

Updated firmware to F2, now I can set bclk to 105.05 and ram multi to 26.66 to get 2800 at default cas16, stable. Memtest is passing, reports 16.67GB/s bandwidth before tightening timings.

Added link to bios/driver download page in OP, also, here's my "test bench" for the impatient. Procrastinating on the destruction of my water loop...
DSC_0115.JPG

Edit: looks like F2 doesn't allow as much cpu OC as F1. Trying to increase the CPU multi above 32 is almost impossible at 105 bclk at the same voltage settings as before. Haven't tried messing with them yet, may just leave it for now. On the bright side, It's memtest stable at CAS14. 13 is too tight.
Was able to get past 32 multi up to 35 by increasing VDD in gigabyte's OC software (+0.1V iirc), so I guess vcore isn't what's holding me back. PC crashed hard with cinebench at 36 multi (3.78GHz).

Last edited:
I am having a heck of a time trying to overclock my 1700X. I've tried going to 3.9 using the Ryzen master software at 1.4 V and it crashes immediately. I also see weird voltages show up in HWMonitor even up to 1.5 volts on the CPU which as far as I know isn't something good. I see these voltages on default clocks no overclock or anything. I've tried overclocking in the BIOS but since I can't set the VCore and because of the weird voltages I see I'm a little scared to try the ofsets. Anyone having better luck? I'm on the F2 bios.

On the plus side, my DDR4 3000 RAM works perfectly with XMP settings...ha.

Well, I'm certain now. The reason I can't get above 106 bclk stable is because of unstable pcie bus. I managed to get into the bios at 120 bclk and had a look around. None of my drives were recognized. Hopefully with a later bios revision this'll be fixed, but I'm not holding my breath...

Yes, I downloaded it yesterday.
Hmm, CPU voltage looked fine for me in hwmon (up to 3.7GHz), though I have a 1600. Package max power was around 70W iirc, and vcore was at +.084 set in bios (though I don't know if it was still there as gigabyte easytune appears to overwrite stuff when it starts).

byusinger84 when I set the multi to 32 (or anything which brings actual clock to 3.2GHz or less) in bios, then OC in windows, voltages appear normal. When I OC to 3.7GHz in bios HWMonitor shows 1.55V on the cpu (VID), but gigabyte's monitor shows ~1.32V VCORE (matches CPU VCORE in HWMonitor).

Thinking it's a bug in HWMonitor, would have to ask them to be sure.

I am having a heck of a time trying to overclock my 1700X. I've tried going to 3.9 using the Ryzen master software at 1.4 V and it crashes immediately. I also see weird voltages show up in HWMonitor even up to 1.5 volts on the CPU which as far as I know isn't something good. I see these voltages on default clocks no overclock or anything. I've tried overclocking in the BIOS but since I can't set the VCore and because of the weird voltages I see I'm a little scared to try the ofsets. Anyone having better luck? I'm on the F2 bios.

On the plus side, my DDR4 3000 RAM works perfectly with XMP settings...ha.

do you have the cpu vcore and VAXG load line calibration set to extreme? if not that could explain the annom's you're seeing in the voltages.

Well, I'm certain now. The reason I can't get above 106 bclk stable is because of unstable pcie bus. I managed to get into the bios at 120 bclk and had a look around. None of my drives were recognized. Hopefully with a later bios revision this'll be fixed, but I'm not holding my breath...

with the way the SOC is designed it's doubtful with this version of ryzen, maybe next gen they'll find a way to separate the bus clocks between the SOC and CPU.

do you have the cpu vcore and VAXG load line calibration set to extreme? if not that could explain the annom's you're seeing in the voltages.

with the way the SOC is designed it's doubtful with this version of ryzen, maybe next gen they'll find a way to separate the bus clocks between the SOC and CPU.
gigabyte's gaming k5 board doesn't have LLC in bios yet. I'd guess it's set at a normal "relaxed" setting, but who knows? Next update is supposed to have a lot more options in bios.

As far as the next gen having separate soc/cpu bus clocks, I'd doubt it. Pretty sure that's deep in the architecture makeup and would req extensive changes (or at least new microcode and maybe a new motherboard chipset), though I'd be happy to be proven wrong. That said, I guess I can live with keeping the bclk below ~103-107. I can still get a decent memory and CPU overclock even with such a small bump in bclk, just would like a bit more flexability without having to sacrifice the PCIe bus.

gigabyte's gaming k5 board doesn't have LLC in bios yet. I'd guess it's set at a normal "relaxed" setting, but who knows? Next update is supposed to have a lot more options in bios.

As far as the next gen having separate soc/cpu bus clocks, I'd doubt it. Pretty sure that's deep in the architecture makeup and would req extensive changes (or at least new microcode and maybe a new motherboard chipset), though I'd be happy to be proven wrong. That said, I guess I can live with keeping the bclk below ~103-107. I can still get a decent memory and CPU overclock even with such a small bump in bclk, just would like a bit more flexability without having to sacrifice the PCIe bus.

figured the 5 and K5 would have the same bios options, guess not..

My K5 kicked the bucket...dunno what happened. It was fine, turned it off last night. Came home from work today and tried to turn it on...nothing. Pulled switch wires and jumped power on directly...nothing. Resetting cmos, pulling battery, holding power button with disconnected power didn't help.

PSU starts right up if I jump the pins on the 24 connector, so I know it's good (less than two years old and way over-spec, too).

Guess I'll have to rma it. :(
Edit: Phew, still in the amazone prime return window so I don't have to deal with gigabutt rma. :D

Last edited:
im about to buy this board. No other boards have my attention @ $150ish bucks. At microcenter its 100 with the purchase of a 1700. This or the ASROCK

Didn't realize I left this at such a cliffhanger...

Returned board to Amazon for replacement, but before that it revived itself (now infamous softbrick). The replacement hasn't done that yet, hoping it stays that way.

Removed the cpu vrm sink to install a heatkiller block in its place. Turns out the oem sink has quite a bit of surface area, just no airflow I guess. Pics for the curious below:
DSC_0229.JPG
DSC_0234.JPG

Back