Getting rid of my Corsair 800D

philb2

[H]ard|Gawd
I got this 800D case back around 2013, but my needs have changed. It's still a great case, and I have two extra hot-swap drive holders, in their original cases, for a total of six hot-swap drive holders. I also still have all the black screws and cable ties that Corsair supplied with the case. I think I still have all the original adapter slot covers.

There are some minor cosmetic issues. The case is like new otherwise, except for:

• Power on LED doesn't work (at least for me)
  • Power button "inside flap" broke, so I added a spring from the local hardware store. Works fine.
  • Hot swap door cover doesn't snap shut any longer. Not an issue in practice.

So what do you guys suggest?

I forgot to say that I want to get rid of this case, but it would be sad if I have to junk (recycle) it. That's why I'm asking for suggestions for ways to get this case to someone who needs it.

Could be a home for a great NAS

If you know any friend's or friend's kids who are just getting started it would be more amazing than anything they would likely get, otherwise. I don't know if they still make cases with internal construction that would give Victorinox a run for their money, but my first 4 or 5 cases I bought sure did. Would've been nice to skip all that.

Or, put some RGB lighting in there, slap in the oldest CPU/mobo you have, core 2 duo, Phenom x3, any kind of video card with active cooling. Make an ad on the various classified sites and call it a gaming PC. Price that puppy no less than $500.

Could be a home for a great NAS

If you know any friend's or friend's kids who are just getting started it would be more amazing than anything they would likely get, otherwise. I don't know if they still make cases with internal construction that would give Victorinox a run for their money, but my first 4 or 5 cases I bought sure did. Would've been nice to skip all that.
All my friends' kids are "off the payroll" and living somewhere else now. :eek:

At the time I got this case, it was simply awesome. Some guys really customized the heck out of it. I never did.

I keep telling myself I "need" a NAS, but in truth, I really don't. But I agree with your point.

I have all these older HGST drives, 1 TB to 6 TB, but I need to consolidate files onto 1 or 2 8 TB+ drives. I thought I could reuse the older drives in a NAS, but you can now get a 20 TB drive for under $400. https://www.newegg.com/wd-ultrastar-dc-hc560-0f38755-20tb/p/N82E16822234513?quicklink=true, which is awesome but it kind of tells me that those 1 and 2 TB drives are not worth putting into a drive bay.

They don't make cases like they used to. Old cases are becoming collectible. I definitely wouldn't junk it. You should be able to sell it.

I dunno how old it is. I mean it doesn't look like it would belong on the set of The Screensavers, but cases with optical drive bays are a lot less common, now.

If you cannot get rid of it in the end, I would LOVE the hotswap bay circuit board. Mine stopped working a few years ago. I also have the same door issue as you lol, but mine is because the little clip on the door itself broke.

If you cannot get rid of it in the end, I would LOVE the hotswap bay circuit board. Mine stopped working a few years ago. I also have the same door issue as you lol, but mine is because the little clip on the door itself broke.
auntjemima Sure. Send me a private message in about 2 months. That's my timeline for getting a replacement case, doing the transplant, etc

My door issue is the same as yours. The little plastic clip just broke.

auntjemima Sure. Send me a private message in about 2 months. That's my timeline for getting a replacement case, doing the transplant, etc

My door issue is the same as yours. The little plastic clip just broke.
Shame about the door. I tried to glue mine back on, but no luck.

I will be messaging you in two months!

If you can sell the case locally all in one, take that route, or course. Thanks for thinking of me!

I dunno how old it is. I mean it doesn't look like it would belong on the set of The Screensavers, but cases with optical drive bays are a lot less common, now.
duronboy No kidding. I still use a DVD drive, and I also have an optical bay memory card reader and a nifty storage tray. So my replacement case needs 3 optical drive bays. I've done some preliminary searches. Most of the "best cases of 2022" type articles include cases with NO optical drive bays and not enough 3.5" drive trays.

duronboy No kidding. I still use a DVD drive, and I also have an optical bay memory card reader and a nifty storage tray. So my replacement case needs 3 optical drive bays. I've done some preliminary searches. Most of the "best cases of 2022" type articles include cases with NO optical drive bays and not enough 3.5" drive trays.
My son and I were wandering around a local PC store recently and looking at cases. His current case doesn't have a CD drive slot and he wants one (I suggested a usb cd drive, but what do I know?) and out of the 50+ cases there, not a single one with a 5.25 bay.

There's always the Perpetual Freebies thread. It's been a good way for me and others to get hardware out to people that need it rather than junking it. Shouldn't cost you anything since the person that wants it should pay shipping. With the 4 hot swap bays and 6 x 5.25" bays someone could make a nice little NAS out of it.

Back