Getting a signal 200 yards away.

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I need to get internet access to a building that’s 200-250 yards away.

Heavy trees in between (about 100 yards of trees and 150 yards of pasture). No line of sight, unless I build tall which isn’t feasible.

No chance of digging, the properties are separated by a county road.

I’ve done some research, but I can’t tell if all these appliances require line of sight.

I’d love it to be Ubiquiti, it’ll match my system.

My final option is to get 2 services, 2 separate Starlink installations.

Does the other site have any type of services available? If so, you can always use an IPsec VPN tunnel to connect the two sites.

Is there any type of wiring going between the two sites? Telephone, Coax, a wire fence?

Does the other site have any type of services available? If so, you can always use an IPsec VPN tunnel to connect the two sites.

Is there any type of wiring going between the two sites? Telephone, Coax, a wire fence?

Nothing. I’d have to get Starlink over there to use a VPN. No physical cable connecting the two.

I bought the land where I live about 8 years ago and built on it 5 years ago. Right before the pandemic, the site in question came available and I bought it.

Mainly so no one else would.

Practically the county road has always been there. They are two separate parcels of land.

Yes. Power off of a different pole.

Power to my house is one pole earlier. Preexisting.

I setup a TPLink Pharos WISP for a friend in rural area over same distance with trees in the way. Basically since it's made for 15km transmission the trees were not a concern. Obviously you could be more heavily wooded, but I would have called my friends spot no line of site too. A pole was plan B. Plan A worked.

I setup a TPLink Pharos WISP for a friend in rural area over same distance with trees in the way. Basically since it's made for 15km transmission the trees were not a concern. Obviously you could be more heavily wooded, but I would have called my friends spot no line of site too. A pole was plan B. Plan A worked.

It all new to me, can you give me more specific detail?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What kind of road? Dirt/shale? Asphalt? Concrete?

Trench and cover often isn't too expensive, but, permitting and all of the headaches there of can be.
Directional boring isn't too bad, just rent the gear for a day and throw conduit under there.

Directional boring isn't too bad, just rent the gear for a day and throw conduit under there.
^^^^ That 100% county road wouldn't/hasn't stopped me. $%#$% wireless!!! Drill 30 feet for1 inch conduit from the botttom of one dtich to the other and done. :)

What kind of road? Dirt/shale? Asphalt? Concrete?

Trench and cover often isn't too expensive, but, permitting and all of the headaches there of can be.

There is no way I’m going to get the county involved.

There is no way I’m going to get the county involved.

Who says you have to?

5cf9dbcac5020_460217b.jpg

61iwaS+IPYL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

51SaBRrKEOL._AC_SL1060_.jpg

Ubiquiti sells long range wireless bridges. We have used them several times for customers without any issues.

I'm not hip on the current lineup but the older ones were easy to setup. Some of the units were rated for ~25km. I imagine even with trees in the way it would be OK given the short distance.

Ok so don't. Dig holes on both sides of the road, on your property. Get way beneath the subbase and geotex, whatever that is in your area. Directional bore/drill from one hole to the other, run 1-2" conduit. Done. A day of work, give or take.

Ya, really what are the odds the county every finds out, unless they drive along the road and do some kind of xray or something along the road.. or ever have to redo the road.....just go far enough into your property on each side..

I guess though the question is, what are the consequences if they do find it somehow...

Tree's are not too bad, what I have heard, is more the leaves...one co-worker for star link, and things flew, until the tree's started getting leaves, and on a windy day, their service went to crap, so how tall are said trees? pine, leaves?

I need to get internet access to a building that’s 200-250 yards away.

Heavy trees in between (about 100 yards of trees and 150 yards of pasture). No line of sight, unless I build tall which isn’t feasible.

No chance of digging, the properties are separated by a county road.

I’ve done some research, but I can’t tell if all these appliances require line of sight.

I’d love it to be Ubiquiti, it’ll match my system.

My final option is to get 2 services, 2 separate Starlink installations.
Do a wireless bridge, Ubiquity has options for them, people make the mistake of just getting the "best" and most expensive, don't do that. The most expensive ones are 5GHZ, they don't penetrate trees for shit, 2.4 GHZ is better at penetration, but still not great. They have 900MHz ones that work fantastic
That is what I did for my sister's coffee shop about half a mile away, with buildings, houses, and trees in the way. It hasn't had a single hiccup in over 2 years. Even in the harsh below zero westher and 50+ mph winds, Ubiquity options are called Nano stations, the ones I used were the loco M900s, but this was years ago, so there may be better options. Also sense you're not going that far, you may be able to get away with 2.4ghz

Last edited:
Ya, really what are the odds the county every finds out, unless they drive along the road and do some kind of xray or something along the road.. or ever have to redo the road.....just go far enough into your property on each side..

I guess though the question is, what are the consequences if they do find it somehow...

Depends on what is already under the road that you drill through.

Water main, sewer main, underground electric, etc.

You could probably pull wires to the street on both sides, and do a 60?ft wireless bridge there, but you'd want to put up a pole or something so passing trucks didn't kill your signal.

Yes. Power off of a different pole.

Power to my house is one pole earlier. Preexisting.
You may be able to run some sort of powerline between the two sites. But implementing it will be a bit more in the industrial arena than consumer or even enterprise.

Do a wireless bridge, Ubiquity has options for them, people make the mistake of just getting the "best" and most expensive, don't do that. The most expensive ones are 5GHZ, they don't penetrate trees for shit, 2.4 GHZ is better at penetration, but still not great. They have 900MHz ones that work fantastic
That is what I did for my sister's coffee shop about half a mile away, with buildings, houses, and trees in the way. It hasn't had a single hiccup in over 2 years. Even in the harsh below zero westher and 50+ mph winds, Ubiquity options are called Nano stations, the ones I used were the loco M900s, but this was years ago, so there may be better options. Also sense you're not going that far, you may be able to get away with 2.4ghz

Been looking for the M900. Only eBay has them now.

If his only option is Starlink then the odds of there being underground utilities are very low, if anything there might be an oil or natural gas pipeline but definitely no underground electric, and odds are he has a well and a septic system instead of city water and sewer.

If his only option is Starlink then the odds of there being underground utilities are very low, if anything there might be an oil or natural gas pipeline but definitely no underground electric, and odds are he has a well and a septic system instead of city water and sewer.

Correct on all. Including oil pipeline. The right of way for the oil company was done decades before I bought the place.

Correct on all. Including oil pipeline. The right of way for the oil company was done decades before I bought the place.
WELL THEN, JUST DO THE TPLINK LONG RANG (STILL CHEAPER THAN A SECOND STAR-LINK SAT, PLUS MONTHLY SERVICE)

(slim chance..) But some people do use cap locks as a visual aid because it is easier for them to see the characters as all caps.
In that case they should buy a large monitor and turn Scaling way the F up. Also I looked at his post history just now, he definitely can see or does text scaling and only uses caps to yell at folks like I thought.

In that case they should buy a large monitor and turn Scaling way the F up. Also I looked at his post history just now, he definitely can see or does text scaling and only uses caps to yell at folks like I thought.

sorry man, I don't touch type, so if h'm in a hurry, I completely miss if I accidentally pressed caps mid-post...and then its up to me to figure out the best way to fix it

sorry man, I don't touch type, so if h'm in a hurry, I completely miss if I accidentally pressed caps mid-post...and then its up to me to figure out the best way to fix it
I take touch typing for granted, unless you are disabled I can't really comprehend being [H] and not being able to do at least 110 WPM without looking :/.

You can try the 2.4 ghz options, probably will work just fine especially at only 200yrds and if it doesn't work Amazon has a great return policy
Something like this

Ubiquiti LocoM2 2-PACK Nanostation LocoM2 AirMax Outdoor PoE CPE 2.4GHz 5+km https://a.co/d/3eJD9Y6

But you're paying extra because it's Ubiquity. TP-link has essentially the same things at less than half the cost. Just search "wireless PTP" on Amazon, but remember you'll need 2, some come in 2 packs but for most you'll have to buy 2 individual units, so pay attention to the description

Last edited:
Mikrotik Groove AC52 might fit the bill, it is a non-directional access point. I bought a set but have been too lazy to set it up, to get a signal into a remote building. Similar issue, no line of sight different floors over similar distance, and this is what they recommended. I have the AP set up, but haven't set up the remote side. One of these days soon I promise I'll get it set up.

Reactions: Liver
like this
You ever get this set up? The 2.4 I'd imagine working for you just fine. 200Yrds isn't all that far, and while they don't penetrate all that well they are designed to go much further So I'd imagine it'd be just fine.
The reason I used the M900's for my sister's location is because it was for a business and also because she had 3-4 buildings as well as a bunch of trees in the way. They are also rated for much further than she is using them. They were overkill, but that's the way I like to roll, and she didn't care to pay as it was a write-off for her.

Back