General audio config help

ochadd

[H]ard|Gawd
Guess I'm getting old and can't remember how some of this works. I have a Schiit Modi 3 DAC connected to my computer via optical. It connects to a Schiit Magnius headphone amp. A failing Logitech powered 2.1 setup connects to a preamp output from the headphone amp. I'd like to do away with the powered speakers and build a discreet setup. My cats keep chewing cables up and speaker wire is cheap and easy enough to replace. Where to use splitters and how to connect the subwoofer is where I think I'm confused.

1. I think all I need is a speaker amp and connect it to the preamp outs from the headphone amp. It would probably work the same as if I just bought RCA splitters for the output from the DAC so both amps got signal from the DAC directly?
1a. Are splitters bad for preamp output?

2. Adding a subwoofer is also a bit confusing. Would I just split the preamp outputs again or maybe just put in a 1 pair to 3 pair RCA splitter (if that's a thing)?

2a. A crossover is something I've never used as a separate piece of equipment but I understand it to be used to cutout frequencies I don't want the subwoofer to play. I've only used one stand alone powered subwoofer and it has something like that baked in. But there was also settings in the receiver in that setup to set frequencies by speaker and subwoofer. I'm guessing this is only something I would need if installing a passive subwoofer and driving it with a separate amp? Not a thing if using a powered subwoofer?

I appreciate any feedback. My computer audio is getting too complex I think.

Picture for reference of the current setup.
1655996899423.png

there is a lot of ways to do this.. you could use splitters from the dac you can use the preouts (line outs would be better if you speaker amp also has volume control) on the headphone amp... It doesn't really make that much difference from a SQ point of view... for the sub it depends does it have highlevel inputs / outputs? if so you could run the speaker wire from amp to sub (input) set crossover / highpass filters and then run speaker with from the high level outputs to the speakers.. Also you can just choose a amp with a sub out feature.. if your sub has the correct inputs for that certainly..

I ordered a speaker amp with both a powered and unpowered subwoofer output on it. I found a 100 watt powered subwoofer in my garage I haven't touched in probably 20 years and have the powered sub that's part of my current Logitech setup. If the built in amps of those two don't work properly I might just crack them open and try turning them into passive units. Drive them from this amp that's rated at 100 watts. I'm not out much if I wreck them.

1656339654914.png

Back