Gaming perf differance of my overclocked x5670 vs a new 4ghz Ryzen7 ?

primetime

Supreme [H]ardness
I can easily see a 4ghz Ryzen gets about a 50% performance improvement in workstation tasks compared to what i have....I wonder what im looking at in the game performance area? should be at least a 10% overall improvement right?

buddy, just sandy bridge offered over 20% gaming performance over your X5670, add another 5 - 8% for Ivy bridge, then another 5 - 8% for haswell/Broadwell and that's where the Ryzen Performance will put you approximately.. the overall improvements should be in the 30% minimum gaming performance. with a gargantuan minimum FPS bump to overall gaming.

buddy, just sandy bridge offered over 20% gaming performance over your X5670, add another 5 - 8% for Ivy bridge, then another 5 - 8% for haswell/Broadwell and that's where the Ryzen Performance will put you approximately.. the overall improvements should be in the 30% minimum gaming performance. with a gargantuan minimum FPS bump to overall gaming.
Dam lol your making me want to upgrade to ryzen...But my brain has been biased to intel for so long now. If i knew for sure the current motherboards would support thread rippers at some point it would be the last straw for sure.....One of the things i enjoyed with my x58 was the drop in easy upgrades over the years;) but it looks like the not released X399 platform could be worth waiting for.

Last edited:
Dam lol your making me want to upgrade to ryzen...But my brain has been biased to intel for so long now. If i knew for sure the current motherboards would support thread rippers at some point it would be the last straw for sure.....One of the things i enjoyed with my x58 was the drop in easy upgrades over the years;) but it looks like the not released X399 platform could be worth waiting for.

Go with the 8c/16t Skylake X current reviews are pointing to average 4.6 - 4.7ghz on the 10C/20T the 8c/16T may handle it better yet, and 15% better IPC than Ryzen and current broadwell-E.

this is true for 720p gaming...

I don't think these guys understand your question correct because your X5670 is clocked at 4.2Ghz and not stock .. From what I know that is 7700K performance at your current clock speed but that is not the cap for all Xeon cpu's as my X5660 has benched at 4.6Ghz.

Go with the 8c/16t Skylake X current reviews are pointing to average 4.6 - 4.7ghz on the 10C/20T the 8c/16T may handle it better yet, and 15% better IPC than Ryzen and current broadwell-E.
I wouldn't bet on 4.6/7 without delidding and even then maybe not. At 4.6/7Ghz resulted in 100C temps in decent work loads by the 2 sites reviewing them. Ofcourse we prob need to wait and see What true consumer silicon results in. For now a 4.3/5 is the likely best case 100% 24/7 stable. For gaming and most consumer workloads this battle will likely be about price and function of the total product.

As someone who has both and has run benches woth both. I can tell you with my 1080ti at 2560x1600 and 4k, performance was almost exactly the same at 4.2ghz on my 5675 and 3.9ghz on my ryzen 1700x. The xeon actually clocked a slightly higher avg fps count. But again gaming only. System responsiveness for all other tasks was ever so slightly snappier with the ryzen.

IPC difference is ~9%, not 15% between Ryzen and Skylake-X.

If you're willing to spend the extra 'Intel tax' cash + overclock + mod the TIM + watercool to keep temps sane then going with the new Intel HEDT makes sense. Otherwise TR or a Ryzen 1700X OC to ~4Ghz on air is impossible to beat and still performs damn well.

I wouldn't bet on 4.6/7 without delidding and even then maybe not. At 4.6/7Ghz resulted in 100C temps in decent work loads by the 2 sites reviewing them.
Yeah if you don't delid the new Intel HEDT chips then you're stuck in the low 4Ghz range when overclocking. Delids are pretty much required to make them worth it.

As someone who has both and has run benches woth both. I can tell you with my 1080ti at 2560x1600 and 4k, performance was almost exactly the same at 4.2ghz on my 5675 and 3.9ghz on my ryzen 1700x. The xeon actually clocked a slightly higher avg fps count. But again gaming only. System responsiveness for all other tasks was ever so slightly snappier with the ryzen.
This is the kinda of info i was hoping to get back with my original question.....I think with higher grade cooling i can pull off 4400mhz without much fuss. As it is right now it could be running 4.4 and reach about 99.9% stability and i believe it only becomes unstable when i reaches temps over the mid 70's for extended runs of Intel burn test at Max pain...If i build a new system its going to need a new cooler anyway i guess, since my 120 extreme probably wont mount to newer AMD or Intel boards...

Ever since that Reeven Justice review here I been thinking of upgrading to one. https://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/07/18/reeven_justice_120mm_cpu_air_cooler_review/1

I can easily see a 4ghz Ryzen gets about a 50% performance improvement in workstation tasks compared to what i have....I wonder what im looking at in the game performance area? should be at least a 10% overall improvement right?
Put it this way. Even for MT workloads, a highly OCed Ryzen 7 nips at the heels of a dual X5690 setup (both of my HP Z800s) running with turbo.

Wait for GangRipper. Its only a little over a month away. Think about it... 16/32 unlocked threads....

Back