Gaming overlays for recording FPS/GPU/CPU usage to get avg?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
Hello everyone,

Doing some testing between some systems and whileI found apps like FPS Monitor, I was looking for the game overlays that not only show FPS/GPU/CPU/RAM usage whileplaying, but would also record this info so that at the end of a gaming session i could see the average of each? Even if i had to take a csv or something and import into excel and do that myself....

FRAPS I have heard can be flakey as all heck cause it hasnt been updated in years, forgot all about MSI! will give it a try.

FRAPS I have heard can be flakey as all heck cause it hasnt been updated in years, forgot all about MSI! will give it a try.

FRAPS doesn't work too well in my experience. I tried using it at different times for gathering data for reviews and it's never worked well. Another thing you could try is NVIDIA Frameview. It also works on AMD cards. That said, by their own admission it can't gather accurate power data for AMD cards, but the rest of the data logging works. It generates reports and has an overlay. The overlay doesn't always work, but the reports come out in a .CSV file which tells you quite a bit of information. The latest version even generates a summary report that's quite nice. The raw data is still there for view if you want to see it.

Dan_D man that NVIDIA gives a ton of info!

I moved my main rig to a Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz from an i5-8600. Only have an RX580 right now and wanted to see before and after performance. Since i am only doing 1920x1080 right now on my Gigabyte 1440p monitor that can do 144Mhz just t get higher FPS on Apex Legends and CoD WZ. I wanted to see how much of an impact I would see on FPS loss going to a much older CPU. Since i do a lot of things at once on my system i thought give the Xeon a try.

It was a left over tower (Dell T5610) after I moved my lab to a T620 with dual 10 cores.

So far doesn't seem like I am missing out on much of anything. My thought was then getting a 3070 or equivalent AMD for this system and run at 1440p which should offset some CPU workload to the GPU, but the system does only havea single 8pin GPU connector but could support up to a 300w card I beleive (75w from the PCIe slot and 225W external the PCIe x16 slot notes on it)

Ranulfo Ya, i was using that to do some benching for temps,but does not seem like it records the data for later review.

I moved my main rig to a Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v2 @ 2.80GHz from an i5-8600. Only have an RX580 right now and wanted to see before and after performance. Since i am only doing 1920x1080 right now on my Gigabyte 1440p monitor that can do 144Mhz just t get higher FPS on Apex Legends and CoD WZ. I wanted to see how much of an impact I would see on FPS loss going to a much older CPU. Since i do a lot of things at once on my system i thought give the Xeon a try.

It was a left over tower (Dell T5610) after I moved my lab to a T620 with dual 10 cores.

So far doesn't seem like I am missing out on much of anything. My thought was then getting a 3070 or equivalent AMD for this system and run at 1440p which should offset some CPU workload to the GPU, but the system does only havea single 8pin GPU connector but could support up to a 300w card I beleive (75w from the PCIe slot and 225W external the PCIe x16 slot notes on it)
you can get molex to PCI-E power adapters

A 3070 would be like 4x as powerful as an RX580. The Xeon would likely bottleneck.

Would a 3070 thought at 1440p, the cpu be less of a bottleneck? Or would the Xeon just be that old it would have trouble feeding said GPU?

Thought being, something faster for sure, and if the Xeon is holding back, I could switch back to my i5-8600 rig, see if i can sell the T5610 and then save to get a Zen 3 rig, but the Zen 3 rig i was spec'n out, very simple, was almost $2k CAD.....

I do enjoy the 10c/20t and 64Gb of ram this rig has, everything is just butter smooth I do on it!

Would a 3070 thought at 1440p, the cpu be less of a bottleneck? Or would the Xeon just be that old it would have trouble feeding said GPU?

Thought being, something faster for sure, and if the Xeon is holding back, I could switch back to my i5-8600 rig, see if i can sell the T5610 and then save to get a Zen 3 rig, but the Zen 3 rig i was spec'n out, very simple, was almost $2k CAD.....

I do enjoy the 10c/20t and 64Gb of ram this rig has, everything is just butter smooth I do on it!

To an extent, the higher the resolution the more GPU bound you become. However, CPU does have an impact even at 4K and beyond. You will see worse results in terms of 1% lows, minimum frame rates etc. The Xeon in question here is only 2.8GHz and I'm assuming it isn't unlocked. That's not doing the OP any favors at any resolution. The 8600K would undoubtedly be better as a gaming CPU.

Ya, i was thinking about min FPS as the big issue, been playing Apex legends and benching it using the nVIDIa tool to get some ideas, then will be switching back to the i5 rig to see how it is over all. Either way in the end I do need a new vid card and perhaps I do sell this Xeon and just go for an 8 core AMD Zen 3 platform, or sell a kidney and wish for a threadripper rig :D

Back