Gaming Laptop suggestions

dexvx

[H]ard|Gawd
Likely going overseas for 2+ months and looking for a mobile gaming solution < 15.6" and 5.5 lbs for < $1500 (used/refurb okay). I plan on selling after I get back.

So there's the Dell Inspiron 7577 that seems to be the defacto budget gaming standard. Basically you can get a 4C/8T Kaby Lake/GTX 1060 6GB/16GB for around $800 at the outlet with coupons.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-7000-gaming/spd/inspiron-15-7577-laptop

My main complaint is the screen quality on that Dell. I have a 144Hz monitor at home and going back to 60Hz for gaming kinda sucked. Maybe a ROG GL503 or MSI GE63? Don't see many reviews on those.

Likely going overseas for 2+ months and looking for a mobile gaming solution < 15.6" and 5.5 lbs for < $1500 (used/refurb okay). I plan on selling after I get back.

So there's the Dell Inspiron 7577 that seems to be the defacto budget gaming standard. Basically you can get a 4C/8T Kaby Lake/GTX 1060 6GB/16GB for around $800 at the outlet with coupons.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-7000-gaming/spd/inspiron-15-7577-laptop

My main complaint is the screen quality on that Dell. I have a 144Hz monitor at home and going back to 60Hz for gaming kinda sucked. Maybe a ROG GL503 or MSI GE63? Don't see many reviews on those.

1. I'm not sure spending a lot more for 144HZ is a smart move, especially since you already have a PC with a 144HZ display.
2. You can replace the screen yourself

1. I'm not sure spending a lot more for 144HZ is a smart move, especially since you already have a PC with a 144HZ display.
2. You can replace the screen yourself
Not necessarily on a laptop... the eluktronics i suggested has a 120hz option.. and i hear the panel can be overdriven past 60hz if you dont go with it but again the OP is planning on getting rid of it on return i am confident he will end up keeping it

Last edited:
Sorry for the thread hijack .. I am more or less on the same situation. I need to buy a laptop but I can wait till October or November the latest.. and I was thinking if it is worth to wait for the Volta GPU's?

I was leaning torwards the new MSI G65, 2k usd give or take.. I'd like the level of performance a 1070 offers (and form factor of the stealth) but if I wait the 1160 might give me better performance for less?

Sorry for the thread hijack .. I am more or less on the same situation. I need to buy a laptop but I can wait till October or November the latest.. and I was thinking if it is worth to wait for the Volta GPU's?

I was leaning torwards the new MSI G65, 2k usd give or take.. I'd like the level of performance a 1070 offers (and form factor of the stealth) but if I wait the 1160 might give me better performance for less?
I like my sager np650hs-g it is a tad bulky the MSI stealth is good too.

But for $ 1700 with a 1070 and g-sync and I have 3 open ram slots 2x 2.5" bays 2x m.2

Volta GPU are not likely to be cheaper I also don't know about 1160 I would say it will not be out by November in laptops.

I would recommend Acer Predator Helios 300 or the EVGA SC15. The EVGA SC15 is very heavy but has proven to be a great machine.

Back