Gaming/Development Rig Build - Advice!

BiH115

Gif Guy
Hello all. It's spring. A time for love, cleaning, sun. Just kidding. It's time for a new PC. I need ALL parts that a computer is made up of. That includes all peripherals (monitor, keyboard, mouse, MOUSE MAT) as well as the case (obviously!). I'll try to answer the questions as best as possible. Please and thank you for the help!

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

The computer will be mainly used for Gaming (BF3, Batman: Arkham City, Alan Wake (+ other steam games)), and some development work such as programming and web-site building (Creative Suite).

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

So I'd like to spend roughly $1,200-1,300 tax + shipping if possible for the best possible PC. Would prefer to buy all parts from Newegg.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Live in the U.S., east coast in NH.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word
"Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Ok here we go:
- A nice big case, mid-tower perhaps? Something big with excellent ventilation (lights are bonus, I love them, would prefer green or red).
- Monitor, see #7 below
- Keyboard, Mouse, Mouse Mat (Maybe following a color pattern, don't care about brands, rather about curb appeal and reliability, not sure if this makes sense).
- Video Card (I'd budget most of the money into this if possible, I'd like to get high framerates and high quality eye-candy).
- CPU (2600K? Maybe a 2500K? What else is out that's better, if anything?) + Aftermarket Cooling
- RAM (8GB should be plenty, if there's some ridiculous discount going on, I don't mind more for same/less money, as long as it's fast RAM. I like G.Skill, doesn't have to be it though).
- PSU, most reliable one future-proofing in mind
- Hard Drive(s), doesn't need to be an SSD in this build, may be too pricey. Do need lot of space though, maybe one smaller drive for OS, and then say a 1-1.5TB drive for rest?
- Sound Card, would like one. X-Fi Titanium isn't a bad choice, have used it before and was pleased.
- Motherboard, ASRock/ASUS is what I would prefer, but then again I'm not an expert (reason why I'm posting here!)

I don't believe I missed anything, if I did let me know please!

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Not reusing anything. Don't have anything to use, it's a new build. I have a lot of cables from previous PSU's if that helps? Also have a very good Creative 2.1 sound setup that I will be using.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Well, providing there's a good aftermarket solution on the CPU, sure. I wouldn't mind squeezing some power out.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

No monitor. Need one that's a decent size, does NOT need to have speakers on it, I'd actually prefer if it didn't come with any at all to be honest. I would prefer tilting and rotation over cosmetics. Image has to be decent, doesn't have to be photoshop-god-quality at all. For size, maybe a 24" that fits my budget? Something by ASUS? Not sure there.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Am planning on buying on the 15th, next week (Thursday). Will order all parts then.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? etc.

Crossfire/SLI capable motherboard is a bonus, I wouldn't put it ahead of other better choices though. Rest doesn't matter.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Have a 64-bit version of Windows 7 Ultimate that I will be using.

I appreciate any and all help, I know everyone here has busy lives, as is probably the norm everywhere. Thank you again!

Last edited:
Will you be using Creative Suite 5 or higher?

Last edited:
$360 - Intel Core i5-2500K CPU + Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Intel Z68 ATX Motherboard Combo
$140 - Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9B 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM + Corsair 750TX V2 750W PSU Combo
$300 - eVGA 012-P3-2066-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores FTW 1280MB PCI-E Video Card
$147 - Hitachi Desktar 7K1000.D HDS721010DLE630 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$16 - LG GH22NS90B DVD Burner
$179 - Asus VH236H Black 23" LCD Monitor
$27 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156
$91 - Corsair Carbide Series 300R ATX Case
----
Total: $1260 plus tax and shipping.

Notes:
- Gonna be a bit over-budget once you factor in the keyboard, mouse, mouse pad. If you really need to save money, drop the hard drive down to this 500GB as that'll shave off $56:
$91 - Hitachi 7K1000.D HDS721050DLE630 500GB 7200RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive

- Can you wait until the 19th or so to buy the GPU at least? I ask because thats when the HD 7870 card will actually be released. If for sale near that $350 MSRP, that'll be your best choice in that price range since the HD 6950 and HD 6970 cards are no longer in stock at reasonable prices. And it'll have a better price to performance ratio than the GTX 560 TI 448 Core card above.

- Also, can you buy parts before the 15th? Like the 11th? I ask because there's a "$20 off w/ promo code EMCNGND35, ends 3/12" deal going on for this Asus 24" monitor:
$200 - Asus VW246H Black 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor

- As for keyboard, mouse, and mouse pad, you're on your own there. However I recommend trying out the mouse and keyboard first hand at your local computer hardware store (that includes Best Buy) and see for yourself which mouse and keyboard has the right feel for you.

The 2550K does have a higher chance of a better OC over the 2500K but I haven't seen any reports, articles, or reviews showing that.

Wow Danny, insane. Thanks for this, this is exactly what i was looking for. I may wait then until the 19th for the 7870, what would that card compare to in terms of the GTX 570/580, and even the 448 Core 560? Any info on that yet?

I think I'll get the monitor too, the 24" with the promo code within the next day or so. I think I'll budget in an extra $80-100 for the peripherals too, might as well, I don't want cheap things, doesn't make sense to buy things over and over again.

Would you recommend the 2550K for the extra few bucks, at all?

This case you recommended, looks nice, good reviews. Any reason you picked it? Just trying to pick your brain. Also so I know next time when I build a computer.

Thank you!

Wow Danny, insane. Thanks for this, this is exactly what i was looking for. I may wait then until the 19th for the 7870, what would that card compare to in terms of the GTX 570/580, and even the 448 Core 560? Any info on that yet?
You can see for yourself the performance difference between the HD 7870 and GTX 570 here:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/03/04/amd_radeon_hd_7870_7850_video_card_review/1

As for the GTX 560 Ti 448 Core, remember that its performance is 97% of the GTX 570. So whatever GTX 570 results you see, take off 3% and thats the GTX 570.

Would you recommend the 2550K for the extra few bucks, at all?
If you're a hardcore overclocker with a significantly better heatsink (not the $30 one I chose above) who has spare video cards, then yeah I'd recommend the 2550K. However the onboard video capability as a back-up GPU is pretty worth it to me.

This case you recommended, looks nice, good reviews. Any reason you picked it? Just trying to pick your brain. Also so I know next time when I build a computer.
The first reason was that it fit your budget. Second was that it offered a few features (i.e USB 3.0 ports, extensive room for the GPU, fan grills, etc). And it because it looked a lot better than some other cases in that price range. With that said, probably since earlier today, Newegg now offers free shipping with the Corsair Carbide Series 400R case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139008

Considering that the price difference is $10, I'd spend the extra $10 for the 400R.

Back