Galaxy S20 Thread

Yeah, the camera on my 2 XL continues to impress me, esp. compared to my wife's Note 9 that if you go back to watch reviews of it, was at least comparable to it at the time. Now most of her shots are out of focus as well and if there's a moving subject in it, forget about it. It seems that most of the reviews you see on phones nowadays only cover still subjects and it's easy to miss this aspect of photography when reviewing the cameras on the phones.

I'm tempted to get an S21 or Note 21 to replace my 2 XL next time I see a deal on an unlocked model of them, but the camera on them is definitely my biggest concern on them along with losing unlimited "high quality" photo/video backups that we still get to have on Pixels for now. I would probably jump on a Pixel 5 too if I see one for $500 or less at some point. But for now my 2 XL is still chugging along great and the battery still easily lasts me a full day as well, so I'm holding out with it as long as I can for either the next deal I see on a Pixel 5 or maybe to see what the Pixel 6/XL brings, which I'm presuming will still be pretty overpriced for this hardware like all previous (flagship) Pixels have been.

I actually liked my iPhones and it's definitely a consideration. I'm pretty intertwined within the Google-verse at this point, so I do kinda want to stick with Android, though. Frankly, I liked my Pixel 2 a lot. My issue with it was that the bezels were too large (the Pixel 2 XL screens were a crapshoot, so I went with the normal 2), and my battery went south. The camera in it was top notch and performance was great. My wife has a Pixel 5 and I like it. Trick is, I don't feel like selling this thing for $400 and having to pay $300 for a horizontal "upgrade." If someone offered me a 1-to-1 trade for a used one, I'd take it.
I can definitely understand that. I'll add this: you can live a surprising amount of that Google lifestyle on an iPhone if you want between apps and services that work with built-in features. Hell, Google's app widgets on iOS are often better than what you get on Android.

I have a note 20 ultra and finally did the Android 11 3.0ui update. It seems as if the battery is getting drained much faster, charges are taking longer and at times the phone feels laggy for no reason... ui2.5 and previous Android I could get almost 2 days of battery life now in one day I'm down to 37%, felt zero lag and it would charge much faster. One last thing I noticed is I keep my phone wifi on all day and over night. I would usually only lose about 3%battery life but now it seems to have gone up as high as 7% loss!
Is anyone else experiencing this?

OneUI 3 hasn't really changed anything (battery-wise) on my S20+. I barely noticed a difference overall since I'm using Nova Launcher anyway. Visually it only changed the notification shade...which is oddly fullscreen now. My battery life has always been good on this phone. For what it's worth, I'm running at low resolution, but 120Hz.

Apparently OneUI 3.1 is starting to roll out to this generation of devices. They're claiming it contains more camera upgrades and fixes, but I've kinda given up on it ever being decent.

Thanks for the reply Domingo. I run 120hz and also lower resolution as well. It feels as if battery drain is more so than on previous android... Normally I would fully charge my phone day on Sunday night to 100 and take it off the charger thru the night and
was able to go entire day until about 12pm the next day without having to charge. Now I've needed to charge by the end of the first day. This is the reason I hate updating but it seems like with these new phones, windows 10 etc updates are mandatory as you cannot get the "update your phone" or windows to ever go away 100%. Does anyone know what are normal on screen times for the note 20 ultra? Wonder if there was a comparison done from ui2.5 Android 10 to 3.0 11

Last edited:
Crazy question..... I have had my S20 5G for about 2 months now... For the most part everything works fine... However, when I am creating stories using Instagram it will not allot me to move the image from dead-center... (if that makes any sense) ... But if I use my old Pixel 2XL my instagram works perfect... It's a isolated issue with the phone.... Does anyone else have this problem??

Ever since the OneUI 3.1 update, I've had issues with QR codes at restaurants. I'll open the camera to scan them...but upon lining it up, my phone will freeze and then reboot about 1/3 of the time. Never had my phone freeze or reboot prior. Why am I not shocked that the camera is once again a source of frustration?

Ever since the OneUI 3.1 update, I've had issues with QR codes at restaurants. I'll open the camera to scan them...but upon lining it up, my phone will freeze and then reboot about 1/3 of the time. Never had my phone freeze or reboot prior. Why am I not shocked that the camera is once again a source of frustration?
I hear ya man. I'm still in 3.0. I felt like when I went from 2.5 to 3 my battery drains faster. I have yet to upgrade to 3.1. It's a bit annoying you can't get rid of the update your phone dialogs..I remember on my previous phone which was a s5 I wasn't forced to update like I am on this note 20 ultra.. this is also what I hate about windows 10 Vs older windows which forces you to update. Often times the update is worse than your previous version.

I'm 100% certain that I'm not going to buy Samsung again. I said it before and I went back on it. Now I'm paying for it. The camera seems to lock-up at random now. I thought it was QR code related, but I think that was just a coincidence since that's when I needed to use the camera.
I'm going to sell this thing and buy whatever Google rolls out this fall. I don't care if this thing beats it spec-wise, I miss the trouble free nature of the Pixel line.

Back