G.SKILL Trident Z Royal DDR4-4000 MHz CL17 2x16 GB Review

erek

[H]F Junkie
"The G.SKILL Trident Z Royal is a work of art, plain and simple. The faceted light bar on the Royal kits remains my top pick for best RGB diffusion implementation, relying on the geometry of the surface rather than opacity to prevent "hot spots." The gold finish is beautiful and uniform, and the fit and finish is excellent in general. The downside of the stunning Royal aesthetic is that it is not as easy to fit into most builds as other popular designs.

The G.SKILL Trident Z Royal also performed very well in testing. This sample of the G.SKILL Trident Z Royal proved to have significant overclocking headroom, reaching 4533 MHz on my MSI MEG Z490 GODLIKE Intel test bed and 4066 MHz stable with my MEG X570 ACE. I also had no issues down-clocking the kit and tightening the timings to the "Fast" B-die preset.

This specification of the G.SKILL Trident Z Royal is currently available for US$294.99. At this price, I would recommend this kit to anyone who wants top-tier "out of the box" performance on Intel, or anyone looking for a highly binned B-die kit for overclocking."

1611279799838.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/g-skill-trident-z-royal-ddr4-4000-mhz-cl17-2x16-gb/

Yeah, I just bought 2x16 of this stuff the other day.
It's currently working great in my X570 Dark Hero motherboard.

It's not quite as malleable as I wish it was though, although I do try to keep my voltage under 1.4.
More voltage would help performance, but I prefer my RAM to have a longer life, rather than nearly unnoticeable performance gains.

My real goal with this was to ensure that the bin was good enough to run low timing 3800 MHz, with parity to the FCLK on a 5800X.
But it's the FCLK that failed to overclock in this situation.

I hope the next stable BIOS will allow me that sweet 1900 FCLK stability, for the sake of 3800 MHz RAM with deliciously low timings.

Yeah, I just bought 2x16 of this stuff the other day.
It's currently working great in my X570 Dark Hero motherboard.

It's not quite as malleable as I wish it was though, although I do try to keep my voltage under 1.4.
More voltage would help performance, but I prefer my RAM to have a longer life, rather than nearly unnoticeable performance gains.

My real goal with this was to ensure that the bin was good enough to run low timing 3800 MHz, with parity to the FCLK on a 5800X.
But it's the FCLK that failed to overclock in this situation.

I hope the next stable BIOS will allow me that sweet 1900 FCLK stability, for the sake of 3800 MHz RAM with deliciously low timings.
isn't that stupid expensive @ $600 for 32GB?

I personally think those are ugly as a mf. I'm not too into RGB but I had a corsair set for awhile that looked much classier.

To each his own I suppose. I'm sure the day I start paying their bills is the day people will start caring about my opinion

I personally think those are ugly as a mf. I'm not too into RGB but I had a corsair set for awhile that looked much classier.

To each his own I suppose. I'm sure the day I start paying their bills is the day people will start caring about my opinion

I like the RGB stuff and that RAM is hideous. The TridentZ NEO is way better looking RAM.

OCZ sold me a defective power supply that fried my Socket 478 system (RIP, IC7-G Advanced!) and after much back and forth eventually after a comedy of errors they settled via a $5,000.00 newegg gift card. I'm glad Paul still does PSU reviews over at the fps review last time I checked.

Last edited:
I am not much into bing factor. My systems has most of the rbg turned off but I do like how the royal look in silver.

G.SKILL makes 4000 MT/s modules with 15-16-16-36 timings. A 16GB matched pair is currently $280 at Newegg. If you don't want the flashy bling there is a Ripjaws kit with the same timings for $230.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232977
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232968

TPU did a review of these, too, and it is one of the fastest memory kits they tested for Intel systems in both bandwidth and latency. It didn't fare so well on AMD, though.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/g-skill-trident-z-royal-ddr4-4000-mhz-cl15-2x8-gb/

Back